Super high sodium listings on the foods?

Options
The foods in the database are getting harder to rely on. 1 large egg has 62mg of sodium. If you put in 3 eggs scrambled from the database it shows as 512mg of sodium!?
How does 62x3= 512?
This is becoming more and more prevalent, especially among user entered foods. People who are trying to watch sodium, may end up skewing their entire day after an entry like this.
Is there anyway to filter out the user entered food?
The other thing that killed me is that value said it was confirmed over 40 times?

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    look for the non-asterisk foods, they typically show up first on the list. Those aren't input by members but by MFP itself.

If you see 40 confirmations personally I take that to often mean someone decided to use that one so they didn't have to look it up themselves and they trusted the higher number. I always double check for the reasons you mentioned. We shouldn't have to but it's safer/more accurate that way.

One thing I'll add regarding the scrambled eggs...it may mean prepared in whatever way the user made them for their meal and just didn't mention that when adding it to the database. Thus how 3 scrambled eggs could then =512mg of sodium. Like if someone loaded it with salsa or hot sauce.. shrugs
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    The foods in the database are getting harder to rely on. 1 large egg has 62mg of sodium. If you put in 3 eggs scrambled from the database it shows as 512mg of sodium!?
    How does 62x3= 512?
    This is becoming more and more prevalent, especially among user entered foods. People who are trying to watch sodium, may end up skewing their entire day after an entry like this.
    Is there anyway to filter out the user entered food?
    The other thing that killed me is that value said it was confirmed over 40 times?

but scrambled eggs is a recipe - you don't know what the user who entered it is adding to their eggs - I like to add a splash of worcestershire sauce personally, others may add salt, butter, milk, cheese etc

you can't rely on 'recipes' ever - you have to build your own or enter the individual items

• lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Try using the bar code scanner as much as possible when preparing things the way you like them. Then save it under your recipes. :-)
  • ahokay89
    ahokay89 Posts: 353
    Options
    I usually have to add in my own. Too many times things are way off but I agree with the above - scrambled eggs is a recipe so you don't know what all they added to it.
  • dammitjanet0161
    dammitjanet0161 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    lauracups wrote: »
    Try using the bar code scanner as much as possible when preparing things the way you like them. Then save it under your recipes. :-)

Unfortunately I've discovered the bar code scanner entries are not always correct for sodium either.

I seem to spend a lot of time on MFP amending entries for sodium. Salt does not equal sodium! But many people will enter e.g 0.8g of salt as 800mg sodium, which is not correct. A while ago I suggested MFP adds 'salt' box as well as sodium box when entering foods, which could automatically convert salt to sodium - not sure if this possible

In the meantime I amend the entries I come across using the formula salt grams divided by 2.5 x 1000 = sodium mg (hope this is right or my rant will make me look silly :) , but this is what I found on t'interwebs after looking it up).
  • rushwingate
    Options
    Thanks guys. I assumed scarmbled egg just mean, an egg scambled up. I didnt realize it was assuming the person had used butter or whatever. That will make it a lot easier in the future.