in need of support

Options
Argh I am gutted and worried how to progress. I have been weighing myself weekly at my mum's house and appearing to be losing weight and clothes have felt looser, however I bought myself a set of scales today and I'm 8 lbs heavier than I thought, 8 lbs!!!!!! Gutted

Replies

• nesian_twin
    nesian_twin Posts: 198
    Options
    Throw the new scales away! Stick to the ones at mum's house. Don't let the scales discourage you!
  • time4kim2014
    time4kim2014 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Do not worry even the slightest over this supposedly 8 pound gain with your new scales...every scale is different!!! I weigh almost 10 pounds more on my parents' scale but ignore it. It sounds like you are doing awesome, I would either subtract 8 pounds when you weigh in on your scale or adjust your goal weight to be 8 pounds more. It is just a number. Don't lose focus, you can do it!
  • AlisonTheNerd
    AlisonTheNerd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't trust scales too much. Once a week with a scale is more than enough. You can also keep track of your inches, like on your stomach or hips, to give you an idea if you are losing. I like to do that over watching the scale, mostly because when I previously had gained weight, then lost it, I went down a pants size or two and gain 10 lbs of muscle. Also, you can easily fluctuate 5 lbs in a day, so don't let it freak you out.
  • jglovicz
    jglovicz Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The relative weight between "then" and "now" (on any given scale) is more important than the actual number on the scale. Don't let a silly number define you - use a measuring tape and the way your clothes fit (and the way you feel) as a measure of how you're doing.
  • Ryncore
    Ryncore Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Every scale is different so Don't worry about the scale especially if you're feeling better!! If your clothes are looser that's amazing and your losing inches :) lots of times you lose inches before pounds so you're on the right track. Keep up the good work!!
  • leejun85
    leejun85 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is no way to know what will happen if you don't continue right? Sorry if I sound like a motivational poster. I was at the same point a week ago and I felt myself slipping a little, one day and almost 2000 calories later... well you get the idea, but I learned from the mistake and am back at it. Oh and I agree with the idea to use your mum's scale, I have found consistency is one of the keys to success and if you throw in a new variable like a new scale an adjustment might need to be made. More importantly how do you feel about your efforts? Sounds like you are manifesting changes, far more rewarding than the digital readout on the scale.
  • gspero72
    gspero72 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Ditto to most of the posts above. Don't rely on the scale as the sole judge of progress. I stepped on the scale the first session with my personal trainer, and we did the measurements. She hasn't asked to for a second weight yet, and it's been 5 weeks of workouts. I primarily judge how I'm doing by how my clothes fit, and and how I'm feeling. This is not a magic pill fix-it thing, this is a life style change, so small steps forward (knowing that you will have a couple going backwards), and keep pushing forward. Set goals, hit goals, set new goals!! Ignore the trolls, embrace the support and defy the haters!! You got this!
  • acs3041
    acs3041 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am 4 pounds lighter than I was yesterday. Which is 3 pounds heavier than I was last week. Which means...maybe I was constipated? :o Scales vary from one to another and our weight will vary from day to day. Just be consistent and it'll be okay.
  • vickyaldersey
    vickyaldersey Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone x. I'll keep plodding on, I feel like I'm on the right track, so just keep going, right. :smile:
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Always use the same scale. I always do. Either stick to the one at Mom's or start fresh on the new one. I can see why that would be upsetting for sure! I am a former scale obsessed daily weigh in person! I would weigh myself every morning and get so stressed and if what I saw on the scale didn't represent my hard work right away I would get discouraged and drown my sorrows in bagels and chips lol. I now weigh once a week and it's way better. Good luck to you!
  • jparks341
    jparks341 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Don't trust the scale or any scale to give you a true measure of your progress. You are seeing proof that you are making progress in the way you feel and the way the clothes are falling off of you. Keep on doing what you are doing and don't let the scale lies stress you out. Good luck.
  • mikhsh
    mikhsh Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Tell your mom you bought her a new scale and you'll take the old one off her hands for her ;)
  • vickyaldersey
    Options
    "]Tell your mom you bought her a new scale and you'll take the old one off her hands for her ;)

Lol good idea :)
  • MoreFabbLessFlab
    MoreFabbLessFlab Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I Loathe the scale. The one at the gym and my home are off by 5 lbs. So I keep motivated by looking at the one at home which says I weigh less and compensate for the higher scale by just subtracting at the gym. It confuses me and I am always discouraged, Don't let the number be your demise. You can tell by your clothes that is even better than stepping on a scale!
  • vickyaldersey
    Options
    Well I just weighed myself this morning and I've lost 4 lbs since yesterday!?! I've never really consciously / actively checked weight loss until recently ( hence the reason, I'm overweight), so didn't realise how much it fluctuates daily. Anyway thanks for your support yesterday everyone, onwards!! :)