Hello i am morbidly obese. I've failed before but am trying again Poor mobility don't help me@ 137kg

Options
Morbidly obese female in the uk. am struggling to cut out sweet things especially ice cream. and chocolate. Seem to have an ever expanding waist, but, neck . I seriously need a buddy to encourage, share stories, moan, laugh all while trying to control my bad eating habits and motivate me cos I get so low at times. . Please hellllp is anyone in similar situation. I suffer from fibromyalgia and on many meds. I am hoping to get a bypass on nhs this year so must work at this I just keep failing. Perhaps someone could help please.
Mo

Replies

• brahmergirl
    brahmergirl Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Any movement is better than no movement. It can't happen over night but cut out one less thing per day to get your body primed for it so it doesn't miss it...I did this method and I no longer crave the sweets...I was craving twinkies this weekend, bought a box and they have been unopened since Saturday... You can do it, one step at a time, one day at a time...i believe in you...Can you do any exercises on the floor? Maybe just walk a little around the block? Drinking water helps me curb my appetite, I put lemon juice in it and that helps me a lot...right before a meal I will drink a big glass of water and that helps me not overeat and feel full.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eat less, move more. A caloric deficit is all thats required to lose weight.
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I find a mug of green tea helps to kill off sugar cravings. Though, I don't put anything in my tea.

Make sure you're drinking lots of water, getting as many veggies in your meals as possible and log everything. Even if you have a bad day, log it anyway, it helps to be able to look back at what has worked/not worked. I also like to look at the charts that show calories/protein/carbs over a week or month.
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Have you read through other posts here? Or checked out some of the groups? There are others here that have lots to lose/mobility complications/medical complications/sugar addictions/and have had or are considering weight loss surgeries. Personally I like reading the success stories to see how they did it.

Don't give up on yourself!
  • ffallings
    ffallings Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi. Try changing a few eating habits first and slowly work in a bit of physical activity a day. Whatever is feasable. Eating mostly plant based whole foods and eliminating sodas, processed foods, take out, and things like that should jump start your progreas. Good luck on your journey. Those are things that have always helped kick start me and give me a bit more energy.
  • somo50
    somo50 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thank you so much for your reply. I have started with nutri bullet drinks, raw veg and fruit. I am really fighting cravings. It's only my third day. I also have. Scrambled eggsx2 or soup. Toast x2 flip me it is so hard. Especially with others in house eating different foods.
  • somo50
    Options
    Have you read through other posts here? Or checked out some of the groups? There are others here that have lots to lose/mobility complications/medical complications/sugar addictions/and have had or are considering weight loss surgeries. Personally I like reading the success stories to see how they did it.

Don't give up on yourself!

Thanks for the reply, there is so much more to this app than I realised. I so need support, it's diff living with my teenage son and partner who eat larger different nicer foods lol
  • kayleighalford9
    kayleighalford9 Posts: 26 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm also in the UK just joined a ladies only gym and a few of us are obese and it is really friendly and fun. I started juicing to kick start me but gained it all back it can also be quite sugary (natural sugars in fruit) I've lost 2 stone since January through eating healthy and the gym. You can do the classes at whatever size my start weight was 17 stone so I really cant recommend joining some fitness classes enough. It pushes you out of your comfort zone too as you try to keep up with others.
  • kayleighalford9
    kayleighalford9 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I agree with deservevictory too Green tea if you can get used to the taste staves off hunger really well
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi, my wife is in the same situation. She has been on medication (Heart, Thyroid, Pain) for the last decade, and also has a problem with losing weight. She is using the calorie counter on MFP, and constantly remains under the allowed, I have bought her a reclining (static) exercise bike, which she uses 30 minutes per day, as well as walking the dogs for an hour per day. Focus on what you are doing right, and try to get your family involved in healthier meals if required. Healthy meals do not mean less tasty meals :)
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Honestly please please please, just take a deep breath and learn about how dieting works so you can formulate a good plan that will work. Implement it slowly and steadily so you cna lose weight consistently. Its really straightforward and perfectly possible.

Some of the best things you can do are acquire knowledge, learn how to log your food, buy some kicthen scales, dont start off too sever or fast, take babysteps, be friends with yourself, but also commit to losing the weight. If you apply yourself you wnt need the surgery as you can lose without, but you have to want it and be able to take it seriously.
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Have a read of my blog here on MFP, I was "seriously obese" when I started this time last year, hopefully it's useful to you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/lewispwest
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Something you may have not heard before, but as a 137 kg person you can afford to eat much more and still lose weight. It will take time, but would you rather lose all the weight in 1 year of being completely miserable or 3 years of being reasonably happy? I started at 137 kg too and I currently weight 97 kg and eat everything the family is eating except in smaller portions than before and with some modifications and fillers (like having a low calorie soup before my main meal and having a salad with the meal). I still eat ice cream and chocolate, but less often or in smaller quantities than I did before.

This is a great app for that. You will slowly learn how much you should be eating. I suggest you set your calories to 1800 or so a day, and do this:

Ask yourself what you feel like eating for a certain meal, say breakfast. What do you usually eat and in what quantities? Enter it all in the app and see how many calories your meal has. Now look what's taking up most calories on the list you entered. How can you make that take up less calories? Do you reduce the portion? Try that and see what effect it has on total calories for that meal. Do you use a little bit less oil? Do you bulk it up with vegetables? Experiment with variations of foods you have in that meal until it totals 500 or so calories (or any number of calories you want your meals to have within your limit). Then prepare that meal with all the modifications you did and eat it. With time it will become easy as you will already know what to do and how much to eat. Have calorie allotments to each meal and snack you would be consuming, for example 400 for breakfast, 300 for lunch, 800 for supper, and 300 for snacks. As you get more experienced it won't be this rigid, but as a start it's nice to set limits.

Believe it or not, you can lose weight without exercise if it's too painful to move. You could incorporate certain exercises that will help you deal with the stress, even if they don't contribute to your weight loss as much as you would like. Things like leisurely walks with family or friends, swimming, light yoga..etc. These have been shown to help people manage chronic pain.
  • somo50
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Honestly please please please, just take a deep breath and learn about how dieting works so you can formulate a good plan that will work. Implement it slowly and steadily so you cna lose weight consistently. Its really straightforward and perfectly possible.

Some of the best things you can do are acquire knowledge, learn how to log your food, buy some kicthen scales, dont start off too sever or fast, take babysteps, be friends with yourself, but also commit to losing the weight. If you apply yourself you wnt need the surgery as you can lose without, but you have to want it and be able to take it seriously.
    lewispwest wrote: »
    Have a read of my blog here on MFP, I was "seriously obese" when I started this time last year, hopefully it's useful to you:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/lewispwest

I so desperately want to loose it. I gave up smoking just over two years ago after 35 years of it. I couldn't do it in baby steps. I had to set a day I smoked my brains out to finish my *kitten* and baccy and the next day was the first day of giving up, I did it.i have tried that method u suggest several times but never succeed . So I'm now on my third day of no sugary, high fat foods. Btw I still crave a cigarette:-(((
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Lewis blogs is a good read and atypical of the progress you can make, no matter what your starting point is. The method of losing weight is the one that many tens of thousands of people on this site use every day. I'd guess that the reason it hasnt worked in the past has moe to do with you not fully getting the knowledge and failing to implement it consistently.

It may be you didnt commit, you got lost, you got deterred and you got disheartened. I would start with non weight targets, things you cna manage easily and build your confidence up. You need to approach it differntly from before, maybe get friends and also just practice logging and weighing before so you take on board what you are eating and how much you need to eat. Going too severe or struggling when you dont have to are classic ways to crash out.

Moderation , sensible healthy eating will win over a restrictive diet. sugary and high fat foods can have their place as long as it fits your allowance. Read Lewis's blog and see how he dealt with the task. The last time I read it, it was honest and he had all the doubts you have, but he was thoughful and measured in how he dealt with it. Your task is no different from his or anyone elses, so leanr and adopt good habits and a focused mindset. Run it past friends and they will point out any obvious flaws. You cna do all this without worrying about calories and it will pay off in the long run. Ot has to be different and avoid the pitfalls of pevious efforts.
  • AlisonTheNerd
    AlisonTheNerd Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I have fibro too! It's awful. This winter has been terrible for exercise. My medications have completely changed my metabolism, and my weight is just slowly creeping up.

I'm trying to replace my sweet snacks with fruit. It's not always a complete substitute, but it seems to help. I was maintaining for a bit (little over a month), but the weather got worse, my pain got worse, and I started gaining again. Plus in the winter it is harder to get nice fresh fruit.

I'm the heaviest I've ever been, and I'm scared that I can't seem to lose weight. But I know part of the key to fibro is not to panic. Stress causes pain flares and migraines (if you get them), also is often dealt with by eating comfort food (I've defiantly done that too!). But you got this.

Breathe, and try to work in little work outs into your day. Do you have dumbells? I like to try to grab a low weight (even just 3 lbs, or a 1 little bottle filled with water, anything like that) and do a few arm curls while sitting on the couch. Anything to get your muscles moving. Take the part that least hurts and move it. Even if it's just a toe.

*sending positive vibes*
  • lewispwest
    lewispwest Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Lewis blogs is a good read

Thank you for reading it :)

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    HIyah uk lady here too. Dont cut out cut down. I sometimes buy those tiny tubs of ice creams in the supermarket, or one large cookie, so when its gone its gone. I have had times when i just dont stock something in the flat if i cant control myself but generally if i like it i eat it. Try it this way. Good luck.
  • iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    There is also "weight-watcher" ice cream, which is actually very nice ... not certain if it works, but it tasted great :)