Food Intolerance

Options
Hi.

So, I recently found out I'm intolerant to Lactose and to Potato's (inc sweet) and Peppers.

Just wondering if anyone has any substitues/recipes for the above. Struggling for ideas!

Especially Breakfast as I always have cereal, and I hate almond/soya milk!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks x

Replies

• squishprincess
    squishprincess Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    a lot of recipes use things like cauliflower or rice to sub the place of potatoes. as for peppers, try replacing them with thin cuts of zucchini or squash, onions, mushrooms, carrots.

oh and if you're not a fan of soy, and hate almonds, they have coconut, rice, hemp seed, flaxseed and cashew or hazelnut milks. it's wild how many there are, and they have different flavour variations as well, like unsweetened, vanilla, chocolate etc
  • amieexgoodall
    Options
    Hi! Thanks for this. I don't really eat peppers, so probably won't miss them that much! except for in fajita's - so I might try mushroom as a sub there.

I might try hemp seed milk, as that's supposed to be quite nice. I drink alot of coconut water too, so maybe coconut milk is just as nice.

Thankyou for your reply :)
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I really like almond milk. But you should just go to the grocery store and look through all the milk alternatives and try a couple out. If you go to more of a "health" food store they will have more options.

There isn't really a substitute for cheese that I know of. you just have to make things that don't have cheese in them, which isn't that hard for me since I don't really love cheese that much.

If you gave us meal ideas that you want substitutes for that might help.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Hemp milk is good. Coconut too but they might not taste enough like cow milk for you. One idea is to use juice. You could have orange juice in place of milk in your cereal. I know I sound odd but I do not drink cow or goat milk either and my mom did sometimes give us juice in place of milk in our cereal when I was a kid.
    How intolerant are you to potatoes? Here it is found in packaged food as potato starch in items like canned tuna and store bought bread.
  • nephilim_dreams
    nephilim_dreams Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You can get lacto-free milk, if you're struggling with the taste of alternatives. Honestly though after a week or so you get used to the flavour. One of my favourites is oat milk.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    There's also rice milk. Haven't tried it but it sounds like it would be a mild tasting alternative.

You could also make your own out if whatever grain or nut you want but that seems like too much work for me.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,976 Member
    Options
    Try goat milk.