Duh. Winning!

Options
tim_jennings
tim_jennings Posts: 172 Member
Well as some of you may know, I have been in a weight loss competition at work. I work at a hospital and the wellness committee provided diet consulting (through our dietary dept), personal traininer consulting (through our Physical Therapy dept), and lipids and electrolyte screenings (through our lab), so it was actually pretty cool to have those support people involved to help out.

I started the competition at 343.4 lbs, my heaviest weight ever (I am 6'2"). The day after the competition started, I discovered MyFitnessPal.com and the android app for my phone, and I must say that I owe my success to this site, and the support of this community. Without them, I am sure I would have just yo-yo'd like I usually do. So, how did I do?

I ended up taking 4th place overal with 15.1% weight loss in 12 weeks. That was 51.8 lbs.(The person who took 1st lost 17%). I also lowered my cholesterol from 210 to 180. My reward is a healthier me, but my prize was $282 in cash to spend as I please, plus $300 credit to spend only on excercise equipment. I bought a Garmin Forerunner 305 GPS heart rate monitor, a set of Jillian Michaels dumbells, and a pair of New Balance MR890 running shoes.

I just wanted to share my little win, and to thank everyone here for the support and encouragement, and the staff at MyFitnessPal.com for providing this service. I know that this has changed my attitude toward food and exercise, and I will continue to loose and never go back to living the way I used to.

Replies

• Yellowstone1983
    Yellowstone1983 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! That's a great accomplishment!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Congrats!

You did so good, I can't believe you came in 4th. That's some fierce competition. I hope you keep going and by next years you won't need that contest again.

Best wishes.
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options
    Yay, great job!!!
  • Palache
    Palache Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Awesome Success Story! Congrats, never look back. Keep moving forward and you will have success.
  • SheehyCFC
    SheehyCFC Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    That's amazing - good work and keep it up. Also - great use of your winnings!
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Wow that is so great! Keep up the good work!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Great job Charlie Sheen!! JK!!! Nice work and congrats!!!
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Excellent job! :) That's also great that you bought exercise things with your winnings!
  • Kaiwyn
    Kaiwyn Posts: 11
    Options
    My work is doing a similar thing, but we don't have all the resources you guys have at the hospital, LUCKY!!!! Great job and keep at it! I am in first place at my work right now @ 9%, and unfortunately most people are just not motivated enough to keep at it or join in the first place- where did all the money come from that was used for prizes, did your employer contribute as well? Ours is only from the employees that chose to join, and the pot is considerably less then yours was.......
  • MrBrown72
    MrBrown72 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Fantastic.
    You also win as an inspiration to the rest of us.
  • shakemybooty
    shakemybooty Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    That's great! Congratulations!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Great job! You did fantastic! Keep it up!!
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    That is awesome! Congrats on your weighloss and improving your health!
  • mawhite717
    mawhite717 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!! thats awesome!!!!
  • tim_jennings
    tim_jennings Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Kaiwyn:

Congrats on being first in your competion!

The cash money was from the entry fees, the exercise equipment money was from the Wellness Committee's budget.
    The entry fee was $20 per person and we had a compitition with our city government. Total participants were 144, so the pot was $2880. Payouts were broken down as follows:

1st place 40% ($1,128)
    2nd place 30% ($846)
    3rd place 15% ($423)
    4th place 10% ($282)
    5th place 5% ($141)

Also each organization had their own 1st, 2nd and 3rd and that is where the excercise equipment money came from:

1st place $500 plus a massage
    2nd place $500
    3rd place $300

I took 4th place over all (282) and 3rd place at the hospital (300).
  • Djbass728
    Djbass728 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    That is such an inspiring story - congrats!!!!!!!!! Doesn't if feel great to be healthier!!!!!!!!! I'm like you - I love this community - I discovered the site while checking out apps on my andriod phone one night when I couldn't sleep. I am eating sooooooo much healthier now!!!
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Well Congratulations to you! THAT IS AWESOME! And I'm glad you didnt just stop when the competition ended! YOU KEEP GOING AND YOU GET WHERE YOU WANT TO BE! I look forward to reading another success story from you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!