Ladies and lifting weights while losing weight

Options

Replies

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy! a pound of muscle is a fraction of the size of a pound of fat, dont worry about the number on the scale, you'll feel great. You wont bulk up in size.

http://www.ncscooper.com/local-woman-quits-gym-for-fear-shell-look-like-starla/
  • heather0709
    heather0709 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I just don't want to gain a bunch of weight! I did some yesterday and felt great, my gym has a ton for the legs also. I'm focusing on that more since all my pregnancy "fat" lol is in my legs. I started dieting two weeks ago exactly and lost 5 pounds. Ready to get rid of the 30 pounds!!
  • heather0709
    Options
    I lift 20 and 30 w my arms yesterday was hard when I did the 30, guessing since my 14 month old is 20 pounds lol
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I just don't want to gain a bunch of weight! I did some yesterday and felt great, my gym has a ton for the legs also. I'm focusing on that more since all my pregnancy "fat" lol is in my legs. I started dieting two weeks ago exactly and lost 5 pounds. Ready to get rid of the 30 pounds!!

You won't gain a bunch of weight...check my profile pics..I went from a size 16 to a size 4....deficit and lifting heavy....in my current profile pic I weigh 148lbs...size 4...

and I am still lifting heavy after 2years that is how much I enjoy it.

• mskinner1091
    mskinner1091 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Walking on the treadmill at an incline will help your legs.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting heavy, running intervals, and eating at a small deficit. I've lost a few pounds (less than 10) in the last year, but I've gone from a size 8 to a size 2. So, I could care less about the scale.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options

You will not gain weight unless you're eating more calories than you burn. You can't gain weight (fat OR muscle) in a calorie deficit.
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    You are not going to gain a bunch of weight if you're eating at a deficit. Thermodynamics.

Lift as heavy as you can. Keep cardio - preferably something like HIIT. Ignore the scale, and think long term instead of just to June.
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    In for lifting! I lost 11 lbs, reached my 'goal' weight then started lifting and have gained 5 of that back in the past 10 months. But I'm a size 4 so I'm certainly NOT complaining that the once-almighty number isn't what I thought it should be.
  • rylovesty23
    Options
    LIFE WEIGHTS!!! P90x is a great example of what lifting weights can do to body fat- it eats it alive! I did p90x when I first started my weight loss journey 2 years ago.. In just 60 days I had seen huge results. I started Crossfit a year ago which involves a lot of olympic weight lifting, I have gotten stronger and stronger and lost more and more body fat. It's not unusual, muscle requires a lot of calories to live. Combine strength training with intense cardio and you will be there before you know it! :)! Get it girl!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Small weights are less than useful

lift heavy and heavier

The heavier the weights, the faster you'll see results
  • heather0709
    Options
    Thanks ladies!!! Add me as a friend, I have no clue how!! I posted a success story on here few years back and it really mad me sad lol. I have 30 pounds to go lost 5 already within almost two weeks. I don't mind, my baby boy was worth the fat lol. But Ya all got me more motivated
  • heather0709
    Options
    We have weight machines at my gym all different type of each part of body. I tried 30 pounds for my arms yesterday, it was hard, but I'm doing little at a time to get use to it
  • heather0709
    Options
    Hey I went from 155-112 back in 2011 and gained about 20 pounds back before I got pregnant, if I would of stuck to lifting I guess that wouldn't of have happened
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    If you can get in the free weights section they're better than the machines because of the need to engage your core more for stability

Although machines don't suck they're not quite as good
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    We have weight machines at my gym all different type of each part of body. I tried 30 pounds for my arms yesterday, it was hard, but I'm doing little at a time to get use to it

You may want to look into free weights and a solid barbell program. it can be intimidating to start, but the benefits far outweigh any angst you may feel in the beginning. I've done both New Rules of Lifting for Women and StrongLifts 5x5. New Rules gave some really good info and made me comfortable in the weight room. StrongLifts gave me fantastic strength gains and has let me lose some fat while retaining muscle. I look better at 145 than I did at 135 before I started lifting.
  • heather0709
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

You may want to look into free weights and a solid barbell program. it can be intimidating to start, but the benefits far outweigh any angst you may feel in the beginning. I've done both New Rules of Lifting for Women and StrongLifts 5x5. New Rules gave some really good info and made me comfortable in the weight room. StrongLifts gave me fantastic strength gains and has let me lose some fat while retaining muscle. I look better at 145 than I did at 135 before I started lifting.

Thanks
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Look at my pictures - I have lost close to 20 lbs while lifting heavy weights (most of the time other than when I had injuries). I do not look huge or bulky or get big muscles. I am hoping to keep losing fat while lifting and being at a small deficit.
  • heather0709
    Options
    Thanks! Any suggestions as to losing fat on stomach? Will the weights help that also. Heading to the gym soon
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Any suggestions as to losing fat on stomach? Will the weights help that also. Heading to the gym soon

unfortunately, you can't spot reduce fat. your body will lost fat when and where it wants to. for me, my stomach is the last place i lose. just keep lifting to preserve muscle mass and focusing on overall fat loss and your stomach will eventually catch up with the rest of your body.