How do i cut my sugar!

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    they add lots of sugar and other chemicals that out body doesn't need, so try to make a real fresh orange juice at home, it 's nicer,natural and sweet as well (you know that that sugar is a good one).

People always say stuff like this as if it were not possible to find no other ingredients added juices (or tomatoes or yogurt or whatever it is). It's actually quite easy to find out what ingredients are in your juice--read the label.

Also, while I happen to agree that freshly squeezed orange juice is tasty, it's not just like eating an orange (and this is why juicing is a trend I don't care for). You are removing the fiber and concentrating the sugar/calories in a much less volume, less filling (for many) package. As for your body needing one kind of sugar but not the other, not true. The fruit juice just happens to have various vitamins also--but that has nothing to do with the sugar.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    @alealessia_13 How is this better than an apple?
    quest%20facts%2032.jpg

Sweetening comes from a sugar alcohol (Erhythritol), Sucralose, and Stevia.
  • lemurcat12
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm confused about how the Quest bar came into this, but isn't this one of those it depends on the context questions? If I've had no protein all day a Quest bar wouldn't actually be my favored protein source, but I'd probably take it over the apple, depending on what else I'd eaten that day. Has nothing to do with sugar.

On the other hand, if all I'd had was steak, I might take apple juice (which I usually avoid) over the Quest bar, although I might prefer the fiber in the Quest bar, who knows. (Luckily this is not a situation that I let myself get in.)

If I'd had a relatively balanced day and had the right amount of calories left and was dying for a Quest bar, I'd have the Quest bar, and same with the apple--both are tasty, both seem to hit the spot at different times. (Of course, you picked the one Quest bar I quite like.) ;-)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I'm responding to alealessa's suggestion to eat a protein bar. Here's a person eating real fruit and worrying about it, and the suggestion is to eat a protein bar instead?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Ah! I was too focused on the part of her post I responded to that I totally missed that. Never mind. ;-)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    they add lots of sugar and other chemicals that out body doesn't need, so try to make a real fresh orange juice at home, it 's nicer,natural and sweet as well (you know that that sugar is a good one).

People always say stuff like this as if it were not possible to find no other ingredients added juices (or tomatoes or yogurt or whatever it is). It's actually quite easy to find out what ingredients are in your juice--read the label.
    True. Also, there are brands of orange juice out there that are just juice from concentrate and water. They're more expensive, of course, but basically the same thing as juicing your own oranges. Frankly, that type of juice may be even better and tastier because the oranges you buy in the grocery store aren't "juicing" oranges which have been cultivated to provide more juice per orange and a specific sugar ratio. Have you ever cut open a juicing orange? They make a huge mess because the juice leaks out everywhere! Compare that to the oranges you put in your kids' lunchboxes.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    katya_be wrote: »
    Like dis?

6a00e553b3da20883401310f50dcfd970c-pi

Ahhhhhh yes....that is the answer i've been looking for in this whole post! Thank you!

To everyone else who tried to match this lovely ladys answer...you all did well and provided me with great information...but i was looking to know how to actually physically cut down the sugar!

hehe kidding! Thanks for the advice everyone! Its all great!

Too funny! I love that OP didn't freak out about it ;)
    That's what I was thinking!
  • ShaeSweetness
    ShaeSweetness Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Haha she had a great comment...i could never be mad at that! Seems like there are some conflicting ideas here but they all were helpful. I'll do some more research on the topic! Thanks guys
  • TraceyKakes
    TraceyKakes Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Cut the processed OJ. I eat fruit in moderation as well. If you're trying to lose weight then cutting processed sugar really seems to help me. The less I eat, the less I crave it!
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't pay attention to my sugar. I don't really have a reason to watch it. (No health issues) if you are trying to keep it low I would suggest just eating a couple pieces of fruit per day and more veggies instead. Sliced cucumber is a good snack.

Also some fruits are a lot higher in sugar, like bananas and watermelon. (I think?) I have heard people say to only eat one piece of fruit per day but I think that is dumb! Fruits are healthy I see no reason to cut back on them if they fit into your calories/macros.
  • ladybuggnorris
    ladybuggnorris Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »
    I don't track sugar, just total carbs. Rather than fruit juice, eat whole fruit. You're right, there's a lot of sugar in orange juice and nearly none of the fiber you get from eating it whole.

^^^Yes! I have four kids and we do not even allow fruit juice in the house! Better idea...whole fruit and a glass of water! My kids eat fruit like it is going out of style...probably way over their recommended sugar intake, but I don't let it bother me, as they are also getting tons of fiber and vitamins.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I don't buy fruit juice but if I wanted to keep OJ in my diet because I loved it, I would probably mix it half and half with sparkling water, to cut the calories and sugar. Some of us don't have the TDEE to drink our calories.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    "How do i cut my sugar!"

Try using scissors.....
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Haha she had a great comment...i could never be mad at that! Seems like there are some conflicting ideas here but they all were helpful. I'll do some more research on the topic! Thanks guys

Haha, you're a good sport! You'll do well here. :heart::flowerforyou:
  • ShaeSweetness
    ShaeSweetness Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Haha well thanks Holly! Although this is my first post, this isn't my first go around at mfp! But heyy i got fat again sooo im back! Lolol B)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    More fruit juice = more Type 2 diabetes. Nurses Health Study, http://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f6935
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Sugar is a carb, track your carbs. If you hit your carb goal, there should be no reason to track sugar separately.

Also, not sure why you are cutting fat out of your diet. Diet is a vital macronutrient and needed for hormone balance, vitamin absorption among other things. Dietary fat does not equal body fat and does not make a person fat.

This^^ I do this
  • bulk_n_cut
    bulk_n_cut Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I CUT MY WHITE SUGAR WITH A RAZOR BLADE AND A MIRROR AND U NEED SOME STRAWS TOO OMG I NEED SOME MORE SUGAR BRB
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    More fruit juice = more Type 2 diabetes. Nurses Health Study, http://www.bmj.com/content/347/bmj.f6935

You mean... overconsumption = more Type 2 diabetes
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    yarwell wrote: »

You mean... overconsumption = more Type 2 diabetes
    It sounds like the study controlled consumption levels and focused on specifically juice intake.

"...replacing each three servings/week of fruit juice consumption with the same amount of total or individual whole fruits, the risk of type 2 diabetes in the pooled analysis was 5% (95% confidence interval 3% to 7%) lower for total whole fruits.”