Sugar Free Energy Drinks vs Coffee

sljohn84
sljohn84 Posts: 107 Member
Can anyone tell me the pros and cons of Sugar Free Energy Drinks vs Coffee? I like sweetened cream in my coffee, so this tends to add a lot of sugar to my diet and im trying to minimize my intake. However, I need some sort of caffeine in the morning to get me going.

Replies

• wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    I used to be the same way, I liked sweetened cream. Now I drink my coffee with skim milk and a half teaspoon of brown sugar splenda. I actually like it more now than I did with the cream.
  • sljohn84
    sljohn84 Posts: 107 Member
    wearmi1 wrote: »
    I used to be the same way, I liked sweetened cream. Now I drink my coffee with skim milk and a half teaspoon of brown sugar splenda. I actually like it more now than I did with the cream.

I will have to try this... we only buy whole milk because of my son only being one, but maybe I should buy my own milk.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Just make the calories fit if you enjoy it.

Otherwise, focus on slowly cutting to black coffee or sugar free energy drinks if it's that much of a calorie crunch for you.

I don't drink caffeine, but love me a good decaf americano or just black decaf coffee.
  • NO ENERGY DRINKS EVERRRR!! Hi! I had to get that out. I understand needing coffee, two measly months ago I was drinking THREE large Starbucks blonde roasts(the strongest available) a day! I am so proud to say I have been caffeine free for almost two full months now and I have more energy than ever and have the best nights of sleep in my life. If you can't stop cold turkey with the caffeine ( I know I'm a rare creature that can do that) try switching to black tea which usually has more caffeine but also more abundant in other nutrients and antioxidants. But please, no energy drinks.. Ever, ever. At the point you have coffee out of your system and have switched to tea, try dropping down to a lesser (but still containing) caffeine green tea. I LOVE India Organics Tulsi tea. Google it. The nutritional benefits are out of this world and it gives me the little boost I may need mid-day. But overall, food should be giving you like 90% of your energy, if you are feeling sluggish in the morning, welcome to the club, in about twenty minutes of waking up sans-coffee, if you're dragging, it's probably because you're not eating the right foods or amount of sleep. I will put my life savings on you NOT needing coffee the way you believe you do! It's a beautiful thing when you use your body as the machine that it is! Embrace what you are capable of!! Good luck:)
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited March 2015
    NO ENERGY DRINKS EVERRRR!! Hi! I had to get that out. I understand needing coffee, two measly months ago I was drinking THREE large Starbucks blonde roasts(the strongest available) a day! I am so proud to say I have been caffeine free for almost two full months now and I have more energy than ever and have the best nights of sleep in my life. If you can't stop cold turkey with the caffeine ( I know I'm a rare creature that can do that) try switching to black tea which usually has more caffeine but also more abundant in other nutrients and antioxidants. But please, no energy drinks.. Ever, ever. At the point you have coffee out of your system and have switched to tea, try dropping down to a lesser (but still containing) caffeine green tea. I LOVE India Organics Tulsi tea. Google it. The nutritional benefits are out of this world and it gives me the little boost I may need mid-day. But overall, food should be giving you like 90% of your energy, if you are feeling sluggish in the morning, welcome to the club, in about twenty minutes of waking up sans-coffee, if you're dragging, it's probably because you're not eating the right foods or amount of sleep. I will put my life savings on you NOT needing coffee the way you believe you do! It's a beautiful thing when you use your body as the machine that it is! Embrace what you are capable of!! Good luck:)
    Sooooo... are you saying the caffeine in your coffee is better than the caffeine in energy drinks?! And that caffeine is tea trumps both of those?

• youtastelike
    youtastelike Posts: 17 Member
    Caffeine, that's a tough point for me too. I've fully eliminated coffee, since I'm on 300-400 mg of caffine daily and that would mean too much calories even with drinking this 3-6 coffees with sweeteners + skim milk. I simply switched to 1-3 light energy drinks per day and complete it with caffeine pills (it's not a prescription drug in Hungary, you can buy it everywhere). I miss the aroma sometimes, but not as much as I expected.