Let's clear up a misconception

Options

Replies

• tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    I don't know... I mean, I'm not disagreeing with the OP at all. But some of these responses... a whole pizza... bacon... yeah, they have macronutrients but will not help me with macronutrient goals. If I ate a whole pizza, I'd have to try like hell to make up the protein to balance it with the fat and carbs. Are we talking chicken breast and cottage cheese pizza? Typically, the proteins on a pizza are at least 50% fat (and some type of sausage), be it salami, pepperoni or Italian sausage... or bacon... or linguica or ground beef or meatballs.

Or maybe I'm assuming too much. Do most of you not have macro goals and just follow CICO? I know my protein goal is somewhat high at 40%.

You should definitely switch to my all sugar diet. You don't have to worry about macros or anything!
  • captivatedlife
    captivatedlife Posts: 60 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You know, on this topic, I am constantly amazed by people who think their way is the ONLY RIGHT WAY - IIFYM, atkins, paleo, clean eating, the zone.... I think we are all so sure of what works for us that we forget that others may need different things. I have nothing but respect for people who can practice moderation and would love to one day have an oreo without having the whole bag.... I may be there one day!

eta - this is a POSITIVE post - not knocking OP - like I said, I have respect for EVERYONE on this journey - I'm just shocked by the people who feel the need to bash everyone who doesn't do it their way! We are all on this journey together (can you hear the song "Why can't we be friends" playing in the background right now?!) no matter how we do it! I am proud of everyone!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I don't know... I mean, I'm not disagreeing with the OP at all. But some of these responses... a whole pizza... bacon... yeah, they have macronutrients but will not help me with macronutrient goals. If I ate a whole pizza, I'd have to try like hell to make up the protein to balance it with the fat and carbs. Are we talking chicken breast and cottage cheese pizza? Typically, the proteins on a pizza are at least 50% fat (and some type of sausage), be it salami, pepperoni or Italian sausage... or bacon... or linguica or ground beef or meatballs.

Or maybe I'm assuming too much. Do most of you not have macro goals and just follow CICO? I know my protein goal is somewhat high at 40%.

I usually make my own which is thin curst with chicken, feta, pineapple and I usually hit my macros for the day, which for me is 35% carbs/30% fats/35% protein...< now, will it be 100% spot on, probably not, but no one is gong to hit them perfectly all the time...

it also depends on what you have for the rest of the day too ...

Again, I don't think anyone is saying eat a whole pizza EVERY day ...I know that for me, I usually make my own like once a month or less...and when I do that I do eat the whole thing...other times if I go to a pizza place I may have a slice or two ...

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options

I try to hit at least 100 grams of protein a day (LBM calculated at around 108 pounds, so it's a good number for me, and my macros are set to 45/30/25). On Fridays when I eat pizza, I do my best to eat as much protein early: Quest bar (I also lift on Fridays), yogurt, eggs, tuna/chicken, string cheese. Half a small pizza runs 500-600 calories and can fit into my day, followed by dessert.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

How many calories do you think a whole pizza has? Do you think a lot of people doing CICO are eating whole pizzas in one sitting?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lots of people who eat food in moderation, don't ONLY processed, junk food, candy and ice cream as all their meals. Many of us actually eat lots of whole foods in high amounts too.

Carry on.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Don't understand what you are trying to say......or does it matter ?

First sentence appears poorly constructed, I don't know what it means.

Seriously?

• jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Do you even toxinz?!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Boy, I really appreciate the smartass remarks. Apologies for trying to ask a serious question. I'll go cleanse...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

How many calories do you think a whole pizza has? Do you think a lot of people doing CICO are eating whole pizzas in one sitting?

I guess it is going to depend on where you get it from..

if I Make my own it comes in about 1700 calories...

I think a medium dominos is about 1700 to 2000..same with papa johns...their larges can come in with a pretty big number....
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Boy, I really appreciate the smartass remarks. Apologies for trying to ask a serious question. I'll go cleanse...

Don't forget the cayenne. It's key!
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    You know, on this topic, I am constantly amazed by people who think their way is the ONLY RIGHT WAY - IIFYM, atkins, paleo, clean eating, the zone.... I think we are all so sure of what works for us that we forget that others may need different things. I have nothing but respect for people who can practice moderation and would love to one day have an oreo without having the whole bag.... I may be there one day!

What exactly in the OP led you to think that he's saying that it's the only right way?

Most people who argue against IIFYM/moderation claim that those of us who follow it are eating junk all day. He's countering that ridiculous argument. That's it.

He said nothing about it being the only way to lose weight.

Do whatever you want to lose weight. If you want to give up whatever, and it works for you, fine. You don't NEED to, though. You chose to because it works best for you for now. And that's cool.

ps. peek at my diary, but ignore the past two days. I had a bad migraine yesterday and am recovering today. I advocate for moderation, but the last "treat" I wanted was a bag of chips I had a few weeks back.

• wizzybeth
    Options
    I ate a doughnut yesterday. But I did not die.

You mean it didn't compel you to then eat an entire box of donuts, every day for the next 5 years of your life???!
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I ate a doughnut yesterday. But I did not die.

diet = ruined
    all your hard work = gone
  • wizzybeth
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Lots of people who eat food in moderation, don't ONLY processed, junk food, candy and ice cream as all their meals. Many of us actually eat lots of whole foods in high amounts too.

Carry on.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Seriously?

Have you read some of his posts?

Not that I recall....

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I like the point made by WalkingAlong. Choosing the sweet potato rather than the donut doesn't make one a bizarro cleanse-glubbing maniac, either.

I really would go for a baked sweet potato. Stuck at work tho. Must wait for evening.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »

Carry on.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Seriously?

No kidding, trying to correct a moderators grammar.
    t3.jpg
  • MrCoolGrim
    MrCoolGrim Posts: 351 Member
    Options

You should definitely switch to my all sugar diet. You don't have to worry about macros or anything!

I had me some sugar one Sunday. The family was out and I was looking for a fix. And there it was a box of Ferro Roches. I stood there and contimplated the idea. I turned on my phone and looked at my MFP App and BAM, I had 1200 calaories left. So I ate them and i loved them with no regrets and i still lost 1lb the following week.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Between meeting macros and fiber within even slightly restricted calories, it would be exceedingly difficult (for me) to eat significant amounts of "junk." I dislike that word both for its vagueness and connotations, but it's applicable.
  • shifterbrainz
    shifterbrainz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    true. I also eat bacon.

Mmm. Bacon.

Obviously, you really mean the bacon candy bar, right?

Deep fried, too! :heart: But I only eat half! :blushing:
This discussion has been closed.