From Rock Bottom to a Year Later down 123 pounds

Options
whoopsazz
whoopsazz Posts: 8 Member
edited March 2015 in Success Stories
Hello MFP community. I've just passed a year on starting MFP and I decided I'd post a success story for everyone. I don't participate on the forums much, but I do read them a lot for tips and for motivation. Thank you all for that! Here's my story....

On January 4th, 2014 my wife who was 29 passed away due to complications from an emergency surgery. To say it devastated me is an understatement. Day by day I try to get better, as I know she wants me to be happy. At this time, I was huge. I had been huge for a long time. I was at rock bottom. I knew I had to do something with myself or I wouldn't live to see 60. So, I decided to visit the doctor. My BP was borderline high and my cholesterol levels were high. Nothing too crazy, but high. Instead of putting me on meds, he really wanted me to try dieting first. So he suggested the DASH diet which is a diet to help lower blood pressure. So, I was all in. I got a book to help guide me and I joined the Facebook support group for guidance. It helped me so much. My journey started in the beginning of March. The diet didn't want me to count calories, but I still wanted to track what I ate and my measurements in MFP. I love stats, so the more data I could collect the better. For the first 8 months, it was mostly diet with light exercise added in. I tried to walk a mile at work at least 2 or 3 days a week during the summer. This past November I decided to hit the gym and I've been going ever since. I love the gym.

I'm confident that dieting and working out has helped me mentally with everything. It has taken determination and will-power, but I've stuck to it. I can't tell you how much cake I've said 'no thanks' to at work lol. They did get me a fruit tray for my birthday, so I am having a positive influence to my co-workers. But I can't stress enough, no matter what situation you are in, anything is possible. After everything happened unexpectedly, I could have crashed and just stayed in a rut until I did harm to myself. But, as I wanted to honor my late wife and knowing she wanted me to be happy if anything were to happen to her, I got my butt in gear and made change. I'm so glad I did. I'm sorry for the length of the post, but I wanted to share my story. Also, I was featured in an article on the DASH diet, and that can be found here: Link.

Time for stats!!!
Weightloss: 123.6 pounds currently (Started at 390 pounds)
Neck: Down 2.5"
Waist: Down 15"
Hips: Down 9"
My Blood Pressure is normal now
My Cholesterol levels are normal now

And Photos:
7yvuv4goshs3.png
wbwfps4dwght.png

Replies

• mikeyninja
    mikeyninja Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Nice job bro
  • ego9
    ego9 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Respect.
  • Beploveshomer
    Beploveshomer Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You look great! Younger and vibrant. Good job.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss. I'm glad you took that terrible situation and turned it around and to take a look at your life and reflect on how to make it a much healthier and better one. Shes smiling down at you buddy and I'm sure she's very very proud. GREAT JOB!!!!!
  • drgmo
    drgmo Posts: 1
    Options
    Great job, both the physical and mental portions. That's a lot of weight to lose in a relatively short time, so stay safe.
  • aquamarina_182
    aquamarina_182 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss, I can not imagine what that must have been like for you...You are an example to everyone and you should be very proud of yourself. Well done, stay strong and remember that you're awesome!!! :)
  • whoopsazz
    Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • whoopsazz
    Options
    I should have added, that I started this journey at 390 pounds.
  • CandyMonster160
    CandyMonster160 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    So very sorry for your loss. You should be very proud of your success and what an inspiration you are and will be to many. Thank you for sharing your story. :smile:
  • jskyjse
    jskyjse Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry about your wife. You should be very proud for handling such a devastating event and not losing yourself in despair. You look amazing- you've come a long way.
  • sharonocallaghan1956
    sharonocallaghan1956 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am deeply sorry to read about your loss, as you say devastated would be an understatement. I am sure that your wife is proud of you and that you honour her with what you have done and what you continue to do. Live your life to the full, for you and her. Xxxxx
  • gopgirl425
    gopgirl425 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Great way to honor your wife....so sorry for your loss. Congratulations to you for getting healthy. Good luck.
  • Marlene1667
    Marlene1667 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    What you have done takes a lot of courage. Congratulations!
  • craignev
    craignev Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Great work!
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I am a very sorry for the loss of your wife.

You've been amazing coming back from such a time. No mean feat to turn your life around.
  • DayByDayGetStronger
    DayByDayGetStronger Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thankful for your sincerity and honesty. You've turn devastation into power and positivity. My your heart, not your plate, be overflowing with love every day !

Your friendly dietitian
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    ahhh your wife smiles on you… awesome job and what a way to honor yourself and your wife.
  • stayfocusedAMANDA
    stayfocusedAMANDA Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Awesome job! What an incredible thing your doing!
  • Loveable64
    Loveable64 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Awesome Job!!!
  • compgeek812
    compgeek812 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Great job man!
    As a side note, I'm super envious of your beard!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!