Cauliflower Pizza Crust

Options
ElviraCross
ElviraCross Posts: 331 Member
pictures: http://allpatchedupquilts.blogspot.com/2012/08/cauliflower-pizza-crust.html

Ingredients:
4 c. shredded cauliflower (about 1 head)
2 large eggs (you could sub 1/2 c. egg whites)
1 c. fat free mozzarella cheese
1 tsp. oregano
1 tsp. basil
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
cooking spray

Directions:
Preheat oven to 450.

1. Use a grater or a food processor to shred the cauliflower.

2. Microwave the cauliflower for 9 minutes. (no need to add water)

3. Let the cauliflower cool a bit. Add the rest of the ingredients.

4. Line a pizza sheet with parchment paper. Spray with cooking spray.

5. Use your hands to spread the mixture evenly into one 1/4 inch layer.

6. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden-brown.

7. Proceed with any pizza toppings you want. Broil on high 3-5 minutes or until the topics are golden and bubbly!

PER SLICE:

73 CALORIES
6 CARBS
2 FAT
9 PROTEIN
2 SUGAR
2 FIBER

Replies

• IH8W8
    IH8W8 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • liuwei_hu
    liuwei_hu Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Saved it and will try tomorrow. Thanks
  • katrinapri
    katrinapri Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I just posted one last week for this recipe, but this one looks a little less time consuming! I'll give it a try
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Buzzkill Alert.

One thing that often derails me on weight loss journeys is wanting my favorite foods and having to settle for poor substitutes. I'll eat the poor substitute and then crave the real thing so much that I go overboard eating the real thing.

This is a very poor substitute, and as a Chicago Italian who has been making all kinds of pizza her whole life, I have to say this is not pizza. If you think it's tasty, that's great. But this is not pizza any more than spaghetti squash is pasta.

Still, I was intrigued enough to make the Paula Deen recipe last night. It's different than the recipe posted above, and it uses part-skim mozzarella.I don't care for fat free cheese. It has a bad texture after baking. I added a good amount of dried herbs to the crust mixture. Even my homegrown/dried oregano wasn't any help.

And speaking of texture, this cauliflower crust set off my texture-issues alarm bigtime. It falls somewhere between a fruit rollup and a flattened macaroon, and was very strange. This is absolutely not a pizza that lets you pick up a slice.

So I'm just going to continue to make the real thing with my all time favorite crackery-thin crust recipe which is 186 calories and 36g of carbs for one third of a 12" crust. I make two batches, which gives me 6 crusts which I half bake and then freeze. Pulling out a frozen crust and throwing together a fabulous real pizza takes 20 minutes, including the baking time.

I can have the fully cooked real pizza and a dressed salad for less than 550 calories for dinner, and I don't feel like I've been denied, which is a major issue for me.

So, in case anyone is interested, this is one amazing pizza crust recipe and document, and it took me 20 years to finally find the perfect one. It's one of very few recipes I follow to the letter.
    http://pizzamaking.com/thincrust.php
  • March5536
    March5536 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bummer, the link didn't work for me @tinascar2015.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I must have made a copy/paste error.
  • alighterday
    Options
    Buzzkill Alert.

One thing that often derails me on weight loss journeys is wanting my favorite foods and having to settle for poor substitutes. I'll eat the poor substitute and then crave the real thing so much that I go overboard eating the real thing.

I have tried as many recipes as I could stand that takes the place of the real thing - starting with cauliflower mashed potatoes and pizza crust. It doesn't work for me either, I'll just keep from killing myself and walk away when I've had enough for my macro. But you hit the nail on the head, its really a casserole cause you cant pick it up. Not saying its not tasty cause it is to me - its just not pizza.
  • LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Made this last night. Nothing like pizza and it fell apart. Probably messed up somewhere in the recipe but it was not a subsititute for pizza at all but def gave me what I wanted as far as flavor goes.