Dieting......Can I drink booze?

Options
BEERRUNNER
BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
If so what would be good? I have my nightcaps of wine (3 Glasses or so) OR beers(3 beers or so) at night everyday.............and I mean almost everyday! what is another alternative...a low calorie alternative.

Is the wine low on calories? I know beer is a no no......what if I go with Vodka and tonic water??? that has almost no Carbs and calories right?

Help a dieter get his drink on people.....!

Replies

• Ashalahn_LMT
    Ashalahn_LMT Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    From what I've heard and read from others, it's not so much the calorie content of beer and wine (granted a 12 pack will put a hurt on your waistline) it's more that alcohol slows the body's metabolism. And can do so for a while. Low calorie and "lite" alcohol is definitely a good start. But I'd suggest slowly decreasing your intake.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I won't even go into what 3 drinks a day is doing to you... I'll just answer the questions. :)

I don't think beer is a no-no as long as you're drinking light beers. Whether you like them or not is up to you. Light beers range from 55 to 150 calories each. The information you need is usually on the label on the bottle or carton since the beer manufacturers are in competition over it. I prefer the Bud Select 55 for the taste AND the 55 calories. The alcohol content is pretty low, however.

Most standard white and red table wines like merlot, cabernet sauvignon, zinfandel, chardonnay and riesling fall between 110 and 120 calories for a 5-oz. serving. That's a pretty small glass.

Vodka is 70 calories for one ounce. Keep in mind that a shot is 1.5 ounces so you'd be looking at 105 calories for a shot in a glass of zero calorie mixer. There are no carbs in this but keep in mind that your body does convert the alcohol to sugar, so it still has a glycemic impact.

Good luck!
  • lynnie_1
    lynnie_1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    There is a low calorie beeer that is only 67 calories!!!! I think its called Molson 67. It might just be a Canadian thing not sure!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Actually it's more so the sugar content. Yes if you look it up alcohol contains tons of sugar as well sodium and it also affects protein synthesis.
  • makeachange22
    makeachange22 Posts: 151
    Options
    vodka is the worst for you , one simple shot can be killer on calories
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I looked up the calorie content of a bunch of my favorite drinks before going out (why, Dogfish Head IPA, why?!) and think I'm sticking to red wine - it's what I enjoy most without going crazy calorie-wise. Other people do liquor with diet soda or seltzer (e.g. vodka soda with a lime, rum and diet, etc.), which is a little less caloric than wine in general.

Most people would probably recommend cutting booze out or way, way down when dieting - but everything in moderation, I suppose :) Have fun and good luck!
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of white wine spritzers now, half wine half seltzer water tastes fresh and definitely lower in cals
  • Hmocc
    Hmocc Posts: 9
    Options
    Ha ha hilarious!!! I love my beer as well and have many nightcaps myself!!! I hear liquor is the way to go!!! Cheers!!!
  • Bigtunatina
    Bigtunatina Posts: 44
    Options
    I drink Vodka and Soda with a lot of limes

OR i get crystal light packets (the cranberry or fruit punch flavored ones) and mix with my vodka and water and thats good

they also have margarita flavored packets you can add to tequila and water and lime its actually good

or fresca and wine makes a good sangria

I am definitely a boozer on weekends
  • mae3785
    mae3785 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    This article might help: http://www.leangains.com/2010/07/truth-about-alcohol-fat-loss-and-muscle.html

Also, I'd suggest trying to cut back on the drinking to 2-3/week rather than daily and go from there. Usually if I'm drinking alcohol I'll stay to mixing it with soda and a lime or diet coke. I've never completely cut out alcohol; whereas some people would prefer to have chocolate with their cheat meal I'd rather have a mixed drink :)
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I won't even go into what 3 drinks a day is doing to you... I'll just answer the questions. :)
    Thats what I was thinking!
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    um, hmmm...

well, I'd go light. I learned the hard way that it really does put weight on you, as bad as eating a spoonful of salt at night before bed. esp if you have something like margarita. I'd say blue moon it (rare or special occasions) or keep it red wine or white and not past 6 or 7 pm. late night drinking is the worst.
  • tanisha36
    tanisha36 Posts: 20
    Options
    crystal light and vodka is the ssssssssshhiiiiiiiiiittttttttttt!
  • doobabe
    doobabe Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Quite the "night cap"- I would be pig drunk, passed out in a ditch somewhere with 3 drinks a night lol
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Is red wine really that calorie loaded!?!?!!? whoa!.................................Ima have to start cutting back!
  • DangerRanger
    DangerRanger Posts: 327 Member
    Options

I don't think beer is a no-no as long as you're drinking light beers. Whether you like them or not is up to you. Light beers range from 55 to 150 calories each. The information you need is usually on the label on the bottle or carton since the beer manufacturers are in competition over it. I prefer the Bud Select 55 for the taste AND the 55 calories. The alcohol content is pretty low, however.

Most standard white and red table wines like merlot, cabernet sauvignon, zinfandel, chardonnay and riesling fall between 110 and 120 calories for a 5-oz. serving. That's a pretty small glass.

Vodka is 70 calories for one ounce. Keep in mind that a shot is 1.5 ounces so you'd be looking at 105 calories for a shot in a glass of zero calorie mixer. There are no carbs in this but keep in mind that your body does convert the alcohol to sugar, so it still has a glycemic impact.

Good luck!

you're my hero!!!
  • Bigtunatina
    Bigtunatina Posts: 44
    Options
    crystal light and vodka is the ssssssssshhiiiiiiiiiittttttttttt!

LOL isn't it??? Oh man even my friends who don't diet love it
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I have been sober for 9 months and actually am quite enjoying it!
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    IT's not the calories that are bad, but the alcohol itself. It essentially a poison that your body needs to metabolize. In the meantime the other calories you've injested get stored.

A drink once a week won't derail you but three a night is completely counter productive to weight loss.
  • mrsmofink
    mrsmofink Posts: 6
    Options
    I wish there was a way to drink and lose weight at the same time but I am afraid that doesn't work. Believe me I've tried. I started only drinking one day a week. It has helped tremendously. I figured I could try to lose weight while still drinking every night and lose weight incredibly slowly or I could cut it down to one day a week and lose a lot faster. It hasn't been as hard as I thought it was going to be. Hope this helps.