Hi, I'm 52and need to lose 64lbs before 19 August. I've lost 14lbs since 12 jJan

Options
I'm Venusinprogress and the progress is a bit slower than id like. I want to be lean, strong and healthy. Any tips anyone?

Replies

• lessismoreohio
    lessismoreohio Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and my progress slowed down over the past few months. I recently adjusted my calories intake down slightly, increased my water intake up and began light strength training. I'm now beginning to see a weight loss again. I'd like to lose about 50 pounds by the end of Summer myself. Good luck to you in meeting your goals :)
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    What's on Aug. 19?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    What's on Aug. 19?
    My thoughts too

Focus on long term lifestyle changes, not a quick fix.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Fourteen pounds in seven weeks is actually an excellent and healthy loss. I've lost 13 pounds in eight weeks and am over the moon happy. I agree with the above - focus on long-term lifestyle changes. Unless you are going to turn into a pumpkin on August 19 if you haven't lost the weight - don't worry about it! You can't control the results of your eating right in a given time frame. You can control your eating and exercise. Stick with it and you'll accomplish your goal - just maybe a bit later than August 19.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    That would be an average of 11 pounds or so per month between now and then. You have lost 14 over two months, which would average out to 7 or so pounds per month. I don't mean to be a killjoy here, but I don't think this is very realistic.

I would follow the link that jazzine1 posted, read it, and go that route. Long term and sustainable is the way to go.

ETA: weight loss isn't linear, so you may not lose the same amount of weight each week/month. Great job on the 14 pounds thus far, though!
  • jkwolly
    Options
    That would be an average of 11 pounds or so per month between now and then. You have lost 14 over two months, which would average out to 7 or so pounds per month. I don't mean to be a killjoy here, but I don't think this is very realistic.

I would follow the link that jazzine1 posted, read it, and go that route. Long term and sustainable is the way to go.
    She could just not eat at all! Winning.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    the math is not in your favour... 2.6 lbs a week for the next 24 weeks.... will be a tough slog... and might create some health risks depending on how desperate you might be. a reasonably healthy goal would be 2 lbs a week... and by healthy I mean you won't starve yourself or have to sit in a sauna to unload water weight as the weigh in approaches... YOU have to bear in mind ONE thing.. that YOU might be able to lose that weight.. BUT your skin will NOT simply snap back...it will be loose... a slow gradual loss will compensate somewhat for that...SO... take your time and od it right... or end up with skin like an old red bone Bloodhound... either way.. best of luck
  • giusa
    giusa Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    This post will give you the basics without the fluff. I'm 51, been on here for a couple of years. A lot of MYTHS we grew up with led to some horrible mistakes. Wish I had read this at the start, would have saved me a lot of anx!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1

The women who wrote the post is wonderful and will answer any questions.

Wish I knew than what I know now!
  • fancyblossom83
    fancyblossom83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just my two sense but I have lost 15 pounds and 13.5 inches since January 21st and I have still been eating a lot. I trying to learn how to make healthier choices and I'm taking a high quality vitamin supplement.
  • jkwolly
    Options
    Just my two sense but I have lost 15 pounds and 13.5 inches since January 21st and I have still been eating a lot. I trying to learn how to make healthier choices and I'm taking a high quality vitamin supplement.
    It's *cents, by the way B)
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »

She could just not eat at all! Winning.

True that...It took me almost two years to lose that kind of weight...Because...I like food. And wine. :cookie::sunglasses:
  • fancyblossom83
    fancyblossom83 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the correction. The vitamin supplement that I am taking has helped me tremendously with bad cravings. I haven't been wanting the sweets and carbs that I normally do and I've given up sweet tea so that has helped me a lot to lose the weight. Now that I have control over food I am teaching myself how to make better choices.