Nutrition for 5K

Options
I know it's only 3 miles, so I feel silly asking this. What would you consider good nutrition in preperation for a 5K?

My first race is in 9 days. I just started running a few months ago. What should I eat before hand (and how long beforehand) to get the energy I am going to need to finish strong?

Replies

• staciekins
    staciekins Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    lots of healthy carbs and protein.
  • YvetteBabich
    Options
    Carbs are good before the race, so I've heard and read. I just ran my first 5k last weekend and I ate 2 slices of dry toast about 2 hours for the race and that was good for me... I'd say the main thing is, do as close as possible to whatever you've been doing while you've been training, because the last thing you want to do is substantially change something dietwise on race day.
  • Emmy_Ann
    Emmy_Ann Posts: 60
    Options
    You should eat between 1 hr and 1.5 hrs ahead of time and make sure lots of carbs.. Also make sure you're well hydrated
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    If you are already eating a healthy and balanced diet, I wouldn't worry about changing much. As for the night before, getting in some good lean protein and complex carbs should do it. The morning of the race I usually have something light; typically some coffee, a protein bar and a banana, as well as a couple cups of water to keep me hydrated.
    I hope your race goes well!
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    lots of healthy carbs and protein.

This is a good start but there is different types of carbs. So about 2 days before I would eat pastas because they are complex carbs and will be slow digesting and give you sustained energy and the morning of your 5k grab some fruits for simple carbs for some fast energy and then get some good meaty protiens in there and you should be all set and start drinking lots of water a min of half to 3/4 gallon of water a day.
  • YvetteBabich
    Options
    Another thing I was told by my avid runner sister is that you need to drink a LOT of water the night before if it is a morning race. I forgot to mention I did that too.

Good luck and have fun, you're going to feel amazing!
  • Bigtunatina
    Bigtunatina Posts: 44
    Options
    I got one in 4 hours and I am nervous!

I am going to eat a banana and have one of those ready to drink protein carb advantage shakes
  • mrsnorman
    mrsnorman Posts: 45
    Options
    not sure if it helps you but i was very tired all day but after dinner (because i heard it helped before a workout) i had one slice of bread with whole earth peanut butter & half a banana an hour before and i ended up feeling really good power walking, no tiredness or slowing down, infact id say i worked out harder up those hills!
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy and you won't worry about nutrition for a 5K.

We are talking about a relatively short period of time (average 28-35 minutes of exercise).

I would only worry about eating your exercise calories afterwards and making sure you get enough proteins.

Good Luck!
  • everythingispossible
    Options
    My favorite thing to eat before a run is toast topped with peanut butter & banana slices! It's easy on the stomach, tastes good, is healthy and gives me energy. You can eat this about an hour or so before your race and you should be fine.

It would be helpful to go for a run in the next day or two & eat what you're planning to eat on the day of your race beforehand. Then you can make sure that that specific food won't cause you any stomach pain or issues, because food can affect runner's in different ways.

Make sure you drink lots of water and remember to have fun! :)
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    The day before DRINK AND DRINK AND DRINK your water... you dont' want to be dehydrated during your race, that will only make the fatigue worse... As far as nutrition

I would pair some carbs like a piece of toast and some fruit with a small portion of protein like 1/2 c cottage cheese or some yogurt. or a cheese stick. you want both, the carbs will give you immediate energy while the protein will stay with you longer.
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    You don't need to 'carb load' for a 5k. I usually eat a mix of protein and some carbs before a short race. Did one a couple weeks ago and had an english muffin with an egg and a slice of cheese and a glass of OJ. Had it about 1 -1.5 hours before the race.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I run and race everything on an empty stomach (from 5K to marathon, even did one 50K).

Just do what you do before your training runs. Most runners are likely to burn less than 400 calories in a 5K, so no special nutrition should really be needed at that distance.

Good luck on the race!
  • deannarey13
    deannarey13 Posts: 452
    Options
    I run and race everything on an empty stomach (from 5K to marathon, even did one 50K).

Just do what you do before your training runs. Most runners are likely to burn less than 400 calories in a 5K, so no special nutrition should really be needed at that distance.

Good luck on the race!

I was thinking that myself, but didn't know if there was anything specific to eat prior to the race to help with energy or anything to avoid. Thanks everyone for your tips. I do eat pretty nutritious as it is, I will just continue doing so. Thanks!
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    Eat healthy and you won't worry about nutrition for a 5K.

We are talking about a relatively short period of time (average 28-35 minutes of exercise).

I would only worry about eating your exercise calories afterwards and making sure you get enough proteins.

Good Luck!

This. I didn't change anything for my first 5K. The only thing I'm going to change for my next one is to drink more water. I had cottonmouth after my first mile. I didn't drink much water prior because I was so worried about having to pee in the middle of the race.
  • mtntrailrunner
    Options
    do what ever you normally do before a run.

don't add anything new on race day!
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i would just eat as you normally do, but just make sure you dont have a full stomach at the time of the race. Eat a banana half an hour before the race and maybe one slice of toast, and that should give you good energy and stamina
  • mtntrailrunner
    Options

I was thinking that myself, but didn't know if there was anything specific to eat prior to the race to help with energy or anything to avoid. Thanks everyone for your tips. I do eat pretty nutritious as it is, I will just continue doing so. Thanks!

if you want an energy boost eat a caffeinated gel (GU or Hammer) about 15 minutes prior to your race.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Nothing you don't normally do. It's not a good idea to eat anything new in the few days before your run, in case it doesn't agree with you.
    Just eat as normal. Make sure you have a drink just before the race, but not too long before or you'll need to pee all the way. Try not to worry!
  • jizenna
    jizenna Posts: 49
    Options
    [/quote]

I didn't drink much water prior because I was so worried about having to pee in the middle of the race.
    [/quote]

I would be worried about this as well, how does this work in a race longer than 5k?