Vegan trying to gain weight!

Options
After being a skinny guy my entire life I've now decided it's time to bulk out a bit! I'm on my first week and I'm currently eating around about 3200 just now no problem so hopefully that should make a difference. Does anyone else have any food recomedations that's suitable of vegans? To be honest about 1/3 of my intake just now is nuts such as cashews, is that a good idea?

Let me know and add me if you wish :)

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Check out the Hench Herbivore - he has some good vegan recipes in the nutrition section. http://www.hench-herbivore.co.uk/recipe-videos/

There's nothing wrong with eating lots of nuts if that's what you enjoy. Beans and pulses are great for boosting calorie and protein intake on a plant-based diet. And don't be afraid of adding fats to food - olive oil, coconut oil, etc - to increase calorie intake without adding too much bulk of food.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I was a vegan for about a decade (ovo-lacto now). I've always been overweight (even as a vegan), but I was friends with a lot of others who had the problem with not being able to put on, and a good friend of mine was a very dedicated weight lifter. Cut your soy intake, apparently it emulates estrogen in the body and can make it difficult to put on mass. I switched to almond milk (still can't do cow milk, yuck), it doesn't have the protein that you think it would, but it doesn't have the soy. Eat a lot of beans and legumes, spinach, avocados, nuts, broccoli, etc. Focus on protein, healthy fats, iron, and magnesium. You might also try incorporating something like Stronglifts 5X5 if you want muscle bulk or something like Spartacus (http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/high-intensity-circuit-routine/printer.php).
  • florez_ca
    Options
    Eating a lot of fruit will give you a lot of calories i.e. ENERGY, so you can work out more and bulk up!!! :) good luck. <3 vagan
  • florez_ca
    Options
    florez_ca wrote: »
    Eating a lot of fruit will give you a lot of calories i.e. ENERGY, so you can work out more and bulk up!!! :) good luck fellow vegan ;)
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    A good quality protein powder is probably necessary. There are tons of vegan ones on the market now. If I remember right, pea protein is the best bang for your buck as far as protein per gram is concerned. but you could also try some blends that have more BCAA and such in them.

I haven't kept up with all the research on soy, but there were some concerns about it not being as good for you as everyone originally thought, maybe someone else here is more up to date on soy.
  • grantevans11
    grantevans11 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Quorn is meant to be a good source of protein, although I'm not sure if this is just vegetarian or vegan.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Baked potatoes with coconut oil-- that will add some calories.

Here is a recipe for a Shake that will give you calories:

12 ounces almond milk
    2-3 tablespoons almond butter
    1 tablespoon ground flax seed
    1 tablespoon coconut oil
    1 tablespoon flax seed oil
    2 tablespoons chia seeds
    2 scoops veggie protein powder
    1 banana or other fruit
  • heybrodudeman
    heybrodudeman Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't see anything wrong with higher-fat / high protein eating. I eat a couple servings of almonds, peanuts, pistachios daily, it's all good fats.

If you're lifting, definitely check out some powders. There are a bunch available on Amazon, but I recently found one at Costco called Orgain. It's a mix of brown rice, chia, hemp, and pea proteins, and tastes pretty good. It wasn't as expensive in the store as it is online: http://www.amazon.com/Orgain-Organic-Protein-Plant-Based-Chocolate/dp/B00J074W94/ref=pd_sim_gro_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0KV7BVFZMRS1Z6CC7S00

A tub of that, a bag of frozen mixed berries, and some almond (or cashew) milk, and you're good to go on some bomb blended shakes. Not to be totally down on soy, it has its place, but its just too easy to eat way too much of it when you're veg.
  • rayw89
    rayw89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I love Quorn brand products, but they aren't vegan, only vegetarian. They contain egg whites.
    Might I suggest a variety of hummus? It may be low calorie per serving, but we all know 2 Tablespoons isn't happening. :)
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    If you eat that many nuts you may want to prepare them by soaking in salt water for a number of hours, draining, and drying. It helps cut down on some of the phytates/anti-nutrients. Or, purchase sprouted nuts as the spouting process also decreases the anti-nutrients.
  • austinwithpowers
    austinwithpowers Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Aaaaaah you guys are great! Yeah there is pea protein powders that I'm now starting to use in my shakes ever day! A lot of people have spoken about Stronglifts so I think that's the programme I'm gonna do :smile:
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    eat more fat dense foods like nuts,seeds, avocados and more starch foods also more bread.Just eat more and opt for strenght training and lifting.
  • Katerina9408
    Katerina9408 Posts: 276 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Eat more protein too