What do you look for in a relationship?

Frostbitten007
Frostbitten007 Posts: 84 Member
What traits or characteristics do you look for in the partner. What kinds of flirty interactions to you like to do? For you is a relationship psychical, emotional, or both? Do you trust easily or find it hard to trust someone at first until you get to know them?

For me I look for someone who shares similar interests as me. I like to cook and it would be great if my partner likes to cook as well. I want someone I can trust. I want someone who can laugh with me at my jokes. I want someone who will be there for me no matter what. I have been in too many bad relationships. I am single right now, but interested in someone.

What's the biggest age difference you will date someone? For me 4 years younger and 8 years older. I am 24 years old.

Replies

• guitarrckr
    guitarrckr Posts: 1,717 Member
    a pulse??
  • mrsmartinez99
    mrsmartinez99 Posts: 1,255 Member
    There are a lot of things I look for in a relationship, but I always end up compromising. I do prefer the romantic side of the relationship and someone that can keep up with me, emotionally, conversing, spontaneous, and wit.

There are plenty of people out there that will be exactly what you are looking for. I hope you find your happiness.
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    "Pretty boy" that can be trusted, but has to have a brain. Idc about height/weight/race/religious background/etc.
  • vsdallow
    vsdallow Posts: 4
    I found my soul mate 40 years ago. I wanted a man with a good regard for the female of the species, tall with an attractive physique, but so very important, a cracking sense of humour, I can't tell you how important in a long term relationship. I feel lucky.
  • Behxo
    Behxo Posts: 1,190 Member
    I'm looking for the Andy Dwyer/Chris Pratt in my life! Humorous and kind, I always trust until proven otherwise... some people might find that risky but I like to live dangerously ;P
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    edited March 2015
    How relaxed and comfortable he makes me feel around him!!

If I can't be myself then he's not the one for me.
  • VickiLee45
    VickiLee45 Posts: 451 Member
    Morals, strength and knows how to treat a lady
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    i don't think i ever had a checklist. i mean, sure, I wanted to be attracted to the girl. I wanted her to be smart, and funny, and laid back, and so on... but I don't know if I can say that i wouldn't have sacrificed one of those for another characteristic. Like, if she had a wonderful heart, but was less intelligent - would that be okay? Maybe.

Because in the end it all matters how she carries herself.

I find it easy to trust someone, for a couple of reasons - 1) they have yet to give me a reason to not trust them and 2) it is so much easier on me to trust someone than not trust someone. I mean if i enter into something not trusting them, then i have to question everything, and snoop, and follow, and agonize.... no thank you. too much effort on someone who hasn't done anything wrong (and honestly, too much effort for someone who has done something wrong. If i don't trust you, then it's done).

I'm finished dating, but if i weren't, I don't know if age would be a factor as much as where they are in their life path. If there is a 28 year old who had her stuff together and a 39 year old who didn't, I'd go with the 28 year old. I think the older you get, the wider the age range gets.

• justinegibbons
    justinegibbons Posts: 918 Member
    I always looked for someone who can make me laugh and will laugh at me too. I'm sort of shy so finding someone who brings out my spontaneous side is a plus. For me, relationships are equally emotional and physical, I can't have one without the other.
  • agratzy
    agratzy Posts: 114 Member
    Someone who makes me laugh has become so much more important than I ever imagined!
    Someone who is patient. I have bipolar so that can take a big toll on any partner I have.
    Currently dating a high school math teacher... he's the most patient man I know :)
    Also just dang sexy.
    And Christian. So that is a plus for me.
  • VintageMisery514
    VintageMisery514 Posts: 533 Member
    Honesty is most important to me, and that includes the whole "lying by omission" thing. I need someone that I can talk to easily, because I'm really shy if I'm not with the right person. And someone with a goofy side helps too -- I can act like a full-on idiot sometimes to make people laugh, so if someone can't appreciate that or find it cute, we won't work out.

I definitely believe that relationships are both physical and emotional, although, that being said, I have fallen in love with someone that I initially wasn’t physically attracted to, and when I got to know him, suddenly he was the most beautiful person in the entire world to me.

Age difference, I'm not picky with. I've been with younger men that I've clicked with, and I've been with older men that I've clicked with. Age means nothing.

The biggest thing is to never settle!!! Find someone that brings out the best in you, that makes you feel confident in yourself, that makes you feel important. Someone that, no matter how distracted you are with any other number of people, your mind always wanders back to them. I really believe that stuff is important and will help you find genuine happiness. Good luck! :)
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Honesty is most important to me, and that includes the whole "lying by omission" thing. I need someone that I can talk to easily, because I'm really shy if I'm not with the right person. And someone with a goofy side helps too -- I can act like a full-on idiot sometimes to make people laugh, so if someone can't appreciate that or find it cute, we won't work out.

I definitely believe that relationships are both physical and emotional, although, that being said, I have fallen in love with someone that I initially wasn’t physically attracted to, and when I got to know him, suddenly he was the most beautiful person in the entire world to me.

Age difference, I'm not picky with. I've been with younger men that I've clicked with, and I've been with older men that I've clicked with. Age means nothing.

The biggest thing is to never settle!!! Find someone that brings out the best in you, that makes you feel confident in yourself, that makes you feel important. Someone that, no matter how distracted you are with any other number of people, your mind always wanders back to them. I really believe that stuff is important and will help you find genuine happiness. Good luck! :)

+1

only age is kind of a factor for me.
  • LiquidSparkle86
    LiquidSparkle86 Posts: 736 Member
    Morals are big for me and a sence of humor! Hate jealousy and negativity. Be real, be true and love me unconditionally and you got me. :0) oh and sex... Sex is very important (after all the rest lol). Luckily i get all the above from my husband. Or most of it anyway (sence of humor and jealousy are the exception). :0)
  • VintageMisery514
    VintageMisery514 Posts: 533 Member
    wolfsbayne wrote: »

+1

only age is kind of a factor for me.

Ya know, maybe I should have thought more on how I answered the age part. It does matter to an extent. For example, at 31, I'm probably not going to date someone that I can't take to a 21+ event. And I'm probably not going to date someone that is old enough that they can't physically keep up with me. So I guess it does matter a little...I retract my previous statement. lol
  • Sinistrous
    Sinistrous Posts: 5,589 Member
    Honesty is most important to me, and that includes the whole "lying by omission" thing.

This. Still a huge issue for me and my S.O. knows I have trouble trusting him due to it, but he's been so much better. I still tell him I don't trust him, though. Not going to sit there and lie and pretend like I trust him. That has to be gained back gradually.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Sinistrous wrote: »
    Honesty is most important to me, and that includes the whole "lying by omission" thing.

This. Still a huge issue for me and my S.O. knows I have trouble trusting him due to it, but he's been so much better. I still tell him I don't trust him, though. Not going to sit there and lie and pretend like I trust him. That has to be gained back gradually.

Yeah, I don't trust easily to begin with, but if I find out that things have been kept from me, it's a long road to get that trust back.
  • jenmar17
    jenmar17 Posts: 3,261 Member
    edited March 2015
    Someone who is funny, doesn't take things too serious, can have a good time. Half of my personality is pretty type-A, and then the other half just wants to laugh. My job and responsibilities are an outlet for my type-A half, so I really need my relationships to be where I can express my goofy side.

Also, though....loyal, good character, kind soul....

I'm also a "live with it and be happy" or "change it" kind of person. So if someone is too negative or down on themselves...that won't work for me either.
  • tibo1783
    tibo1783 Posts: 2,474 Member
    what she ^^^ said
  • profilce
    profilce Posts: 54 Member
    Well I'm looking for a guy who's caring, who likes art and stuff. Who's a gentleman (a bit :) ) and who will understand me, who will help me with this weight loss stuff. We should have some things in common like I'd like if my boyfriend loves hobbit, lord of the rings or star wars haha :smile: We should act like best friends haha :D
  • pechepanda
    pechepanda Posts: 7,939 Member
    Just someone who entertains me and wants a relationship and is entertaining in the context of a relationship.
    I get bored very easily.