Protein shake pre or post workout?

Options
I hear so many different answers. Could anyone help me with which is more beneficial, having a protein shake pre or post workout? Or does it really not matter?

Replies

• deup
    deup Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    doesn't really matter to be honest for me, however, if your going to have one before take it lease 30 minutes before. If your going to have one after go isolate, has the fastest absorption rate. and all depends on how hard your pushing yourself at the gym. cardio.. probably not.. heavey weights, could benefit the body.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    PB on toast with coffee is my pre
    I couldn't do a shake before, I'd puke

It's what ever works best for you.

Unless your a pro body builder or entering heavy weight lifting competitions, when you eat is not important. Just so you hit your macros for the day.
  • freqzinbigd
    freqzinbigd Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • agratzy
    agratzy Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I eat afterwards because I get intense post-workout hunger! I usually work out right before supper, though, and then eat protein as part of the meal.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    I drink 1qtr of my protein shake prior to workout, then finish the remaining 3qtrs after.
    Mentally I feel it gives me something to burn during my workout, and then something restorative for the post recoup time.
  • Silentfool
    Silentfool Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I do after.... I done pre once and puked. But the posters above have hit it on the head.
  • dc_thedrivah01
    Options
    I'm on a cut meal plan right now and I do 1 scoop (33g) for breakfast meal and 1 scoop (33g) post workout with my dinner meal.
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is irrelevant.

I sometimes have it after my workout or between meals.
  • RedHotChil99
    Options
    Doesn't really matter to me either. I feel that having the shake beforehands is really hard depending on the workout you do afterwards