Food Allergies: Share Your Stories

Options
Ariberri9
Ariberri9 Posts: 206 Member
Food allergies and sensitivities are the worst, and they can really curb your fitness goals!

I have the following food allergies/sensitivities:
ALLERGIC TO...
1.) Raw ppples
2.) Raw pears
3.) Raw peaches
4.) Processed almonds
5.) Raw carrots
6.) Raw turnips
7.) Cucumbers (but not pickles)
8.) Raw pomegranate

SENSITIVE TO...
1.) Dairy
2.) Multivitamins

Do YOU have any food allergies or sensitivities? How do you get around them? Share your story!

Replies

• AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    I am call 911, get an epi pen, rush her to the hospital, deathly allergic to okra....it makes me sad because I used to be able to eat some and I love it pickled or fried (hated it in soup - blech).

I have sensitivities to:

-artificial sweeteners
    -some food coloring (red is bad bad bad)
    -HFCS
    -milk although I can have small amounts sometimes
    -artificial raspberry flavoring - so weird and specific but one of my children also has this problem. We can eat real raspberries
    -a lot of supplements/vitamins - which they think is actually the fillers used
    -and a new one seems to be celery :'( . We don't know if I just ate too much celery that day - I used it to control a binge craving early on in this current journey and ate a LOT - or if it's a true allergy. I was hives head to toe.

I also can't eat fresh or freshly prepared oysters. I can have them if they've been smoked and canned. No raw, baked, fried, boiled whatever though. I've tried several times and they make me so ill.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    My son was diagnosed with severe eosinophilic esophagitis last year. Caused by food allergies. He has had to be wheat, dairy, soy, nut, fish and egg free. He also cannot have anything prepared in a cross contaminated facility. It has been a nightmare to deal with. I've gained weight because of having to cook so much differently than before. He can add 1 new allergen food every 6 weeks. We are excited for eggs next, then fish. Even though I don't have s food allergy, our household has been greatly affected!
  • Lezavargas
    Lezavargas Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Most people have food allergies in some fashion. Gas, bloating, lethargy, stomach pain, skin conditions and numerous others are all symptoms of some food sensitivities. Listen to your body and it will tell you what it does and doesnt want. Raisens are one of my natural ones and pretty much anything refined or processed makes me sick for whatever reasons. Inflammation from these sensitivities are notorious weight loss inhibitors. Its great to see so many people paying close enough attention to their bodies that they are recognizing the issue and not just throwing a medication at the symptom. Thumbs up to those of you taking your body's signals!!
  • chigiriswrath
    chigiriswrath Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Mine are a little weird I guess, but totally helpful in staying healthy! I'm allergic to:
    -caffeine
    -chocolate (not white chocolate; just the cocoa bean)
    -many dairy products

I don't have to try very hard to avoid my allergies, but the struggle is real when I crave ice cream and know I can only have a few bites. Or if I want a cream sauce I have to go light. I think it's just a bit of lactose intolerance (thanks grandma) so it's easily managed.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    I'm technically intolerant of red dye 40 but it acts like a dangerous allergy just with out a quick treatment so have to be really careful.
  • Linvala
    Linvala Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Avocado and melons like cantaloupe and honeydew. Sometimes other fruit/veg really irritate my mouth which I heard had something to do with pollen or birch allergy? I noticed I can tolerate some if they are cooked but avocado and those melons break me out in rashes.
  • JulieAnneFIU
    JulieAnneFIU Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Oat, wheat, buckwheat, clam, scallops, lobster, tuna, Lima beans, navy beans, celery, onion, carrots, peas, Brazil nuts, cantaloupe, bananas, nutmeg, malt and hops. I have to keep a printed list on my phone because it's a b!tch to keep track of.
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    propylene glycol

It shows up in the most annoying places, like food coloring and flavor extracts, and a lot of random condiments and sauces. If I do go to a restaurant, which is very rare, I have to stick to plain things, because there's no guarantee that one off, bottled ingredient that's barely noticeable in a sauce won't turn my face into the painted desert.
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Glutamates :-/ Well, free glutamates I suspect. I would say it's a sensitivity rather than a 'true' allergy - the symptoms are uncomfortable and unsightly, but not life threatening. I can tolerate small amounts (the reaction is probably so small I don't notice it), but it's difficult to know the concentrations in most foods! I even have to avoid products with 'natural flavouring', because this can contain glutamate in the form of MSG. So yeh, I do lots of home cooking from scratch!

However, it has probably helped my fitness goals somewhat - I can't really go out for meals, and fast food is a DEFINITE no. So I have become a lot more aware of what is in my food, and usually cook with quite simple ingredients. Although, because free glutamates are normally associated with savoury foods, if I go out and my friends eat, I will buy something like a cake instead... I know I'm safe with cake! B) So my sugar intake has probably my increased somewhat...
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    shellfish (namely shrimp, crab, lobster). i can eat scallops

it was an adult onset allergy, and apparently can come and go, but not breathing wasn't much fun so I stay away. I will take the occasional taste of hubbys crab cakes or clam chowder when he makes it, but its ONE bite/spoonful and thats all.

i really really REALLY miss shrimp and crab :(
  • Ariberri9
    Options
    I forgot that I'm allergic to avocado, too!

I just eat what I don't have reactions to. I find new allergies often, but I learn to work around them.

You all are so strong! I'm so happy for you guys! Keep doing you...you're doing great!
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to pomegranate... my lips get swollen. I thought it was just the fruit itself, once I went to a restaurant asked for a pomegranate mojito... lips got swollen. I miss it... I love how it tastes. :(
  • Ariberri9
    Options
    I know your pain. I'm allergic to pomegranate, too.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    I've got a disorder where the cells that react during an allergic reaction (mast cells) are triggered by things OTHER than an allergy, as well as reacting worse to things that ARE an allergy. So I've got foods (and other things) that trigger allergic reactions, but that aren't allergies 'officially,' plus some actual allergies on top of that.

My list of what I can eat is shorter than what I'm allergic to, at this point. But on the plus side, I had a period where my diet was 6 ingredients, for over 8 months straight, so right now? I feel like I can eat TONS. ^_^

But foods I have to avoid the most because of allergic reactions:
    Grass family (all grains - though wheat, rye, and barley are the worst - plus bamboo and sugar cane)
    coffee - horrible allergy to this, even inhaling fumes
    sulfites - which knocks out shellfish, beet sugar, dried fruits, wine, and a bunch of others.
    allium family (onions, garlic and such)
    Brassica family (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, mustards, bok choy, radishes, etc...)
    Some beans (pinto, black, white, and navy are the worst)
    Some nuts (hazel nuts and pistachios)
    Fruits from the tropics (pretty much all we've tried, waaaah)
    Most stone fruits (with a pit)
    apples
    chicken

And then...pretty much all processed foods, because commonly included ingredients are no good. But some reactions are much milder than others.

I've definitely learned a lot more about cooking since developing all these allergic reactions. Does anyone else find that they cook a lot more, as well?
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    I've got a disorder where the cells that react during an allergic reaction (mast cells) are triggered by things OTHER than an allergy, as well as reacting worse to things that ARE an allergy. So I've got foods (and other things) that trigger allergic reactions, but that aren't allergies 'officially,' plus some actual allergies on top of that.

My list of what I can eat is shorter than what I'm allergic to, at this point. But on the plus side, I had a period where my diet was 6 ingredients, for over 8 months straight, so right now? I feel like I can eat TONS. ^_^

But foods I have to avoid the most because of allergic reactions:
    Grass family (all grains - though wheat, rye, and barley are the worst - plus bamboo and sugar cane)
    coffee - horrible allergy to this, even inhaling fumes
    sulfites - which knocks out shellfish, beet sugar, dried fruits, wine, and a bunch of others.
    allium family (onions, garlic and such)
    Brassica family (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, mustards, bok choy, radishes, etc...)
    Some beans (pinto, black, white, and navy are the worst)
    Some nuts (hazel nuts and pistachios)
    Fruits from the tropics (pretty much all we've tried, waaaah)
    Most stone fruits (with a pit)
    apples
    chicken

And then...pretty much all processed foods, because commonly included ingredients are no good. But some reactions are much milder than others.

I've definitely learned a lot more about cooking since developing all these allergic reactions. Does anyone else find that they cook a lot more, as well?

I'd say about 99% of my meals are home cooked. I'll get fast food in an emergency - you can order just burger meat with no bun or toppings. Every once in a while we'll go out to one of a handful of restaurants we've been to enough over the years that I trust, or have something I've had enough times since before I knew about the allergy, I know it's safe.

The upside of mine, if you can call it that, is that it would be very difficult to get enough of a dose to put me in serious danger. It's not used in large enough quantities in food preparation. I have to be more careful of things like fog machines or e-cig stores, though.
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have no allergies, yay! But I have celiac disease, along with all 3 of my kids. And I have Crohn's disease.

Crohn's came along with a ton of food issues. I can't eat:
    Gluten (Celiac)
    Oats
    Rice or rice products (rice cakes/crackers/flour)
    Fish, with the exception of canned tuna.
    Red Meat
    Most nuts/seeds
    Most vegetable and fruits - I can tolerate a few bites of lettuce/carrots, and banana, peeled apples, and oranges.
    Beans
    Milk (It can be in cooking/baking, but I can't drink it)
    Eggs with cheese.....I can eat them separately but not together. Weird, right?

And we are a peanut free house because one of my kids is severely allergic.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I have a Gluten allergy due to Celiacs disease. There are so many foods that I can have even with this allergy that I never end up feeling deprived of anything. I do miss Philly soft pretzels, though.
  • tanthalos
    tanthalos Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My body can't absorb or digest most fruits and vegetables. Makes it really hard to try and eat clean when I can't eat most of the foods that are always suggested. My nutritionist has me take a supplements to get the proper nutrients into my body. I end up eat more junk then I would like to. Still trying to figure out ways to lose without having to eat clean. I will take any suggestions.

I'm also sensitive to dairy and can only taken in certain products before my body starts to react. I just stick to soy milk if I need milk and I to goat cheese since I don't seem to have any issues with it like I do cow cheese.

I can't eat any type of seafood no matter what it is.

Making a list of what I can eat would actually be easier.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I have a nightshade allergy. If i eat anything from the nightshade family my mouth, eyes and chest break out in huge, inflamed, red, itchy, burning, painful patches of rough skin. It is horrible. Nightshades are everywhere and rarely listed as an allergen like wheat, eggs, diary and nuts are. So anything that says 'spices' is off limits to me and I have to read the package carefully to make sure nothing sneaky is in there before I eat any processed food or drink.
  • stinegulliksen
    stinegulliksen Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I´m severely allergic to peanuts and soy, and as a result of that, the whole Fabaceae family is out (beans, peas, lentils). I´m also allergic to a lot of different pollens, and as a result of that, I think i have OAS (oral allergy syndrome), where I´m allergic to almost all raw fruit and vegetables. I can eat most of that if it´s been cooked though. In addition to all that, I´m sensitive to dairy (I can eat cheese, chocolate and yogurt, but can´t drink or cook with regular milk). Makes it very difficult to eat healthy sometimes :(