Is it advantageous to "add weight to the bar" while at a deficit?

Options
madslacker
madslacker Posts: 39
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Just curious.

I have a good 40-50lbs to lose.

Is there any advantage in proactively trying to progress (get stronger, add weight, etc.) as I train if my overall current goal is body fat reduction?

That's not to say that I don't want to gain muscle. I certainly do. I just wonder (based on some of the threads I've been looking at, articles, etc. specific to gaining muscle while losing fat) if it's wasted effort to push myself at this stage? Meaning - train to maintain the strength I have but don't push myself to progress until my diet supports it?

Replies

• SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    YES. If you are lifting weights while eating at a slight deficit you can still definitely gain strength and a small amount of muscle. You will, more importantly, maintain more of the muscle you already have. This is important for two reasons:
    1. It's easier to maintain current muscle than to build new muscle.
    2. You'll lose more fat.

I started weight lifting last Spring while eating at a small deficit and the results have been pretty amazing. I'm chest pressing more than double the weight I started at (135 lbs. vs. 65 lbs.) with similar gains across the board. I'm not dropping much weight but I am definitely getting smaller and I have muscle definition. Go for it!
  • jett69
    jett69 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    you should always push yourself regardless if your in a deficit or surplus. Not saying go all out but always have one left in the tank.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    If you're new to training you can do both at once! Gain muscle and lose fat.

If you're experienced (1year plus) at lifting then you're lifting to maintain lean mass and strength as much as you can while in deficit. As your weight drops your power to weight ratio should drop with so you'll naturally find you're able to push/pull less weight.

Both are worthwhile pursuits. If you lose fat and gain some muscle then your overall composition is changing in your favour right? I mean why wouldn't you want to look lean and toned at the same time?

My lifting obsession started when I originally lost 32 lb from my starting 'fat' weight and decided I just looked plain old weedy. Three and a half years later I weigh about 5 lb over my starting fat weight but amt a few % leaner and ahelluva lot better looking (in my humble) than either !my fat or skinny look.

Jay
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    If you're just starting out, probably. Your body will let you know if you're pushing too hard. I've found I can add weight while running a very mild deficit (a couple hundred calories). On a harder cut (say, TDEE-20%), I generally can't even hit my usual maxes, let alone progress. But everybody's different.
  • kandeye
    kandeye Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    It would be wasted effort to not push yourself right now. Do you want to lose weight or lose fat? If you want to lose fat it would be wise to try to maintain as much muscle as you can.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    YES. I have been doing light weight training, not heavy lifting by any stretch, but I tell you it's that and not the cardio that has made me lift more, jump higher and squat deeper. I don't track my LBM or BF or anything like that, so I can't tell you whether I've "recomped" or whatever - I just know I am going from weakling to powerhouse (in an everyday sense) and that's from resistance workouts. It feels great and when the scale doesn't move or the mirror still mocks me, I *always* have that sense of accomplishment to lift me up.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    A better strength base will come in handy when you come out of a deficit and work on hypertrophy. If you are stronger then you will have greater volume later. Meaning 3 sets of 12 reps is a lot more total weight lifting 225 pounds versus 185 pounds (8100 pounds compared to 6660 pounds).
  • _riddikulus_
    _riddikulus_ Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    yes, a progressive overload strength training program is highly beneficial to anyone attempting to reduce body fat. while it's true you will not be able to gain muscle at a deficit, lifting will help you retain what you have. I've made some pretty serious gains in all of my lifts while being in a deficit, it's definitely not wasted effort.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Of course, there's no reason to stay at the same weight. You will be able to add huge amounts of weight to the bar in a deficit. For example, in the process of losing 100lbs over the course of 2.5 years, my deadlift went from 135lbs to 415lbs.
  • SweatLikeDog
    SweatLikeDog Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    When you start a new training routine your initial gains aren't from getting stronger, but rather from getting more coordinated and efficient with the motions that the new exercises demand. As you start to perfect your form, you'll start to hit the point of actual muscle exhaustion where calories or lack thereof come into play.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It is difficult to QUANTIFY calorie burn from strength training. However that doesn't mean there isn't any meaningful calorie burn from strength training. So you get the benefits of: direct calorie burn during the activity, modest afterburn, conservation of lean mass, and improved strength.

Those are significant benefits and argue strongly in favor of resistance training for the obese beginner. To be honest, for most beginners, increased muscle mass is one of the LEAST important benefits of strength training.
  • madslacker
    Options
    I appreciate the responses.

I guess I was thinking in terms of efficiency.

I know that gaining strength and gaining muscle don't necessarily go hand in hand. Gaining strength can be accomplished without gaining muscle.

I also know that (for me) operating at a deficit is stressful for my body. I also know that (for me) adding weight to the bar is also stressful for my body. My concern is that I may be setting myself up for injury (something I've dealt with on and off for the last few years) by not supporting my efforts in the gym with proper nutrition (at least eating at maintenance).

I've been lifting on and off (more off than on) for the past few years. I've probably never been consistent for more than 6 months or so - so I've done a lot of starting and stopping but don't really feel that I've graduated to intermediate level in my training (in terms of volume or strength gains).

I'm not suggesting that I don't lift - I enjoy doing it anyhow and I don't want to lose the strength/LBM I have now. I guess my question had more to do with the goals I set for myself when lifting. I wondered if it would be more efficient to drop the fat before focusing on really getting stronger (so that I could also eat with the goal of getting stronger). Maybe increase volume if lifts start getting too easy (add additional sets/exercises).

To be honest it may be a non-issue. My workouts aren't exactly a walk in the park currently :)

Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    YES! You can make good strength gains and it'll help preserve lean mass.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    madslacker wrote: »
    I'm not suggesting that I don't lift - I enjoy doing it anyhow and I don't want to lose the strength/LBM I have now. I guess my question had more to do with the goals I set for myself when lifting. I wondered if it would be more efficient to drop the fat before focusing on really getting stronger (so that I could also eat with the goal of getting stronger). Maybe increase volume if lifts start getting too easy (add additional sets/exercises).

It's definitely not more efficient, especially if you're planning to take up strength training after, due to the simple fact that it's much easier to maintain the muscle you currently have than to regain it later. You're going to lose muscle while eating at a deficit if you aren't doing anything to maintain it. Why not simply maintain it now rather than have to really work to get it back after?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Easier to strengthen and maintain what you have than to build new.

Hasn't the OP already asked this a few times, or is that another slacker?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options

I know that gaining strength and gaining muscle don't necessarily go hand in hand. Gaining strength can be accomplished without gaining muscle.

I also know that (for me) operating at a deficit is stressful for my body. I also know that (for me) adding weight to the bar is also stressful for my body. My concern is that I may be setting myself up for injury (something I've dealt with on and off for the last few years) by not supporting my efforts in the gym with proper nutrition (at least eating at maintenance).

I've been lifting on and off (more off than on) for the past few years. I've probably never been consistent for more than 6 months or so - so I've done a lot of starting and stopping but don't really feel that I've graduated to intermediate level in my training (in terms of volume or strength gains).

To be honest it may be a non-issue. My workouts aren't exactly a walk in the park currently :)

I've read that this isn't a bad way to go. You can get a growth response with volume, if you go to failure. (This post is addressed to women, but the ideas apply to everyone: http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/training/workout-tips-advice/do-light-weights-tone-heavy-weights-bulk/ )

I'm quite sure you can get a response (strength improvements or at least maintenance) even without going to failure, even if it's a little weaker. I also feel more in control of things with a higher-rep scheme - it gives you a little more time to decide whether to continue or not, feels a little safer.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes it is.
  • CaitsGreat
    Options
    Yes. What they said. Lift. Heavy.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

I've read that this isn't a bad way to go. You can get a growth response with volume, if you go to failure. (This post is addressed to women, but the ideas apply to everyone: http://www.fitnessrxwomen.com/training/workout-tips-advice/do-light-weights-tone-heavy-weights-bulk/ )

I'm quite sure you can get a response (strength improvements or at least maintenance) even without going to failure, even if it's a little weaker. I also feel more in control of things with a higher-rep scheme - it gives you a little more time to decide whether to continue or not, feels a little safer.

You absolutely can get a growth response without going to failure and in fact going to failure should be used judiciously as it can impact recovery and therefore be counter-productive in the long run.

Edited to try to fix the quotes
  • DYELB
    DYELB Posts: 7,407 Member
    Options
    It's not wasted effort.

Absolutely work out on a cut, just keep an eye on your recovery time. That's a personal gauge type thing though.