Breakfast and metabolism question

Options
Had a debate with my trainer at the gym this morning. He was horrified that I don't eat something the minute I wake up and come and weight train on an empty stomach. I told him that I'm only on 1200 calories a day and that I like to eat later in the morning so I don't feel so hungry by midday. He said that if I eat the moment I wake up that it will kick start my metabolism and will actually help with burning fat and losing weight. Agree or disagree?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Your trainer has no idea what he's talking about. Eat when you want, meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Your trainer has no idea what he's talking about. Eat when you want, meal timing is irrelevant to weight loss.

Agreed
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    No need to eat first thing in the am if you don't want to. "kick starting" your metabolism is a myth
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Agreed
    There are so many "trainers" spewing garbage, and getting paid pretty decent for it.

Anger.

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I wouldn't go above lactate threshold (hard, high intensity workout) without fuelling up first. I've lost muscle that way and ended up 123lb with a saggy butt.
    Even when I'm on a cut I wouldn't ask my body to burn body fat to fuel exercise, it's too taxing, and I don't have enough.
    But if you've got plenty of fat to burn then it should be ok.
    As always, circumstances dictate.
    Ps I hope you're eating your exercise cals back and not doing a horrible workout on just 1200 per day.

There's no such thing as kick starting your metabolism. Fat gets burned in a calorie deficit. Make the deficit too big and lean body mass also gets burned.
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I would LOVE to help kick start my metabolism but I just CAN'T even look at food until I have been awake for a couple of hours. I have heard that breakfast is the most important meal not sure why.

18134773.png
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    Disagree. Timing doesn't make a difference. Eat whenever you want.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    DebzNuDa wrote: »
    I would LOVE to help kick start my metabolism but I just CAN'T even look at food until I have been awake for a couple of hours. I have heard that breakfast is the most important meal not sure why.

Because cereal companies want your money.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options

Cinnamon toast crunch can take all my monies <3
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options

LMAO
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I also agree.....based on my experience. I lost most of my weight while having my first food 5 hours after waking up.
  • jendpositive
    jendpositive Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hmmm mixed reviews then. I've just kicked my butt recently and got back on the hardcore weight loss wagon so I'm not eating back any of my exercise calories. I'm sticking to 1200 and do six days a week alternative weight training (some heavy lifting) and cardio dance.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I get up for no other reason then I am hungry when I get up so I eat. That is really the only reason. I say eat when you are hungry.
  • aimsterrz
    aimsterrz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have eaten shortly after I wake up and hours after and have had still the same luck losing weight. Its more about what you are actually consuming versus when you are eating it.
  • blufender_5
    Options
    The army does PT first thing in the morning and then breakfast. Seems to work for us.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    I usually don't eat breakfast. When I do, I'm hungrier all day long. (No idea why.) I function just fine, going strong.
  • shawnfxp
    shawnfxp Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'd likely just get sick if I ate before hitting the gym in the morning. I do much better working out first and eating after. I tend to be less prone to overeating this way, too.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Myth. Trainer is obviously overwhelmed by gym broscience.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    Fire your trainer.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    They might be a trainer, but their certification did not go over nutrition and they are not qualified (or allowed depending on their cert.) to give nutritional advice.