Really Out of Shape

Options
I am 60 years old and exercise has never really been part of my life style. I am working on changing that. Right now I am at 241.2 lbs and I am 5'7. I just got a Bow Flex Tread Climber and the first time I got on it today it was set for speed .6 and I could only do 3 minutes 60sec on it and started feeling shortness of breath. I went on a second time later set the speed down to 5 and did 5 min 30 sec. I think at that pace it will take me forever to lost the next 50 lbs I want to lose haven't lost 10 so far.

Does anyone here own or have ever own a tread climber and close to my age, and if so how did you start out. I don't want to give up but unless I can get 30 minutes workouts in I don't see my weight dropping for a long time

Replies

• Bbecatti
    Bbecatti Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just have a treadmill, but I think the same thing would apply to you, I try to "push" myself another 30 seconds or 1 minute each time, my trainer told me "you can do anything for 30 or 60 seconds" soon it got easier & easier & the time and resistance builds up over time.. increase speed 30 seconds then decrease for 30 seconds etc... the couch to 5 K also recommends this method, with walking, speed up & slow down, I've heard this is also more effective than a consistent speed......hang in there, nothing happens overnight. I'm 57 and was 242 and now 217 so we are in the same boat.
    We CAN do this!
  • alighterday
    alighterday Posts: 28
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I did mine one minute at a time until I got to 60 minutes. Because of age I cut down to 30 to 40 minutes. Don't worry about how long its gonna take, just Nike (do it). Be sure to do your calorie deficit for weight loss. A friend was pushing me to continue, told him it was painful bla bla. He told me the very thing that I am complaining about can very well save my life. Good luck to you - and do that thing!
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    first I suggest if you have not already, talk you your doctor about your fitness plans and make sure you are fine to go ahead.
    secondly, something like a stairclimber is tough when you are starting out. A treadmill would have been an easier go to help build up the cardio. But being that you have it do what you can and get in as much walking as possible. Work on calorie deficit for weight loss. Do the climber and walking for added calorie burn and fitness.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    That's great that you are working on your health! Take it easy with the exercise so you don't hurt yourself, but be consistent with it, so you will get health benefits. Your bones will get stronger, as will your muscles. You will have more endurance. It will become easier to do things like walk up steps, clean, etc.

Having said that, you don't need to exercise to lose weight. Doing exercise is more for your health.

I'm 61 and have used a wheelchair for a great part of the past 25 years. I started doing physical therapy in December 2013. I began trying the elliptical in about June 2014. I could do one minute. Now I'm up to 17 minutes. Plus, I do 10 minutes walking backward on the treadmill. And then I do another 50 minutes or so of other exercises, such as bridges, planks, squats, resistance bands, light weights, etc. It takes a while to get your strength built up.

Are you sticking to the amount of calories that MFP gives you each day? If you don't stick to the right amount of calories, you can exercise all day and not lose. If your calories are what they are supposed to be each day, that's all you need to do to lose. On days when you exercise, you can eat back about half of the calories that you burn off when you exercise. So, there is that benefit to exercise, also. :smiley:

On days when I don't go to physical therapy, I do one of the walking shows on cable, such as Cardio Walk or Walk and Sculpt. They are 25 minutes long and I do them for my cardio. Then I do my upper or lower body physical therapy exercises.

I have 63 lbs off so far.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    PS, On days when I don't go to physical therapy, I do one of the walking shows on cable, such as Cardio Walk or Walk and Sculpt. They are 25 minutes long and I do them for my cardio. Then I do my upper or lower body physical therapy exercises.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    The principles are just the same imo.
    If you start off at whatever level of fitness then any movement is going to benefit you.
    Remember you are not racing anyone else just yourself. You are seeking to improve.
    Whatever level you are at is where you are now, no running away from it, but by making gradual consistent effort then you will improve.

You need to adopt a mindset that is patient, but can be reassured that you will improve over time if you keep at it. Find the setting where you can do 5 minutes, then just keep adding a minute each day or every 2 days. You will improve.

If the stair climber is too much, then just start with a 5 minute walk and walk a bit further each day. Many people start this way.

Dont worry about 30 minute workouts, but you will eventually get there over time. Give it 2-6 weeks for your fitness to catch up. If you keep doing it consistently you will get there and it speeds up, so no need to lose heart after just a few days.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    The great thing about being really out of shape is that you will find you're improving quickly, like in leaps and bounds. You're not competing against anyone, and like nijitaliana said, your weight will come off as your eating gets right so look at the exercise as a bonus way to improve your health. If you did 3 minutes today, do 3 minutes and 10 seconds tomorrow. OR set the resistance down real low and go longer - even better, do different things on different days to improve both your endurance and your capacity and to have a little fun with it.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    You don't need to exercise to lose weight, just eat at a deficit. Don't be discouraged!

From a fitness perspective, just take your time and do what you can/want. There are SO MANY goals you can work toward with fitness... A certain time, weight, reps, distance, speed, etc.
  • _riddikulus_
    _riddikulus_ Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I started out at over 250 lbs and even walking was pretty difficult for me. stick with it and do what you can, it truly does get easier but it won't happen overnight. luckily, for a very great majority of people weight loss only requires a calorie deficit which can be done with diet alone until you're able to work up to that 30 minutes. good luck OP!