Stress eating

Options
Stress eating has been my enemy since forever. I know I shouldn't be doing it. Yet it's so hard when it's jut a short walk to get the food and feel satisfied. Do any of you guys deal with stress eating? How do you cope with it?

Replies

• jallen8484
    jallen8484 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I understand what you mean. The first thing is figure out where you tend to stress and why.

I stress at my office and when things get bad I walk away from my desk to decompress only to find myself in the kitchen area where my coworkers leave their latest baking goodies.

To fix the problem I bought a box of kinetic sand. It is really soothing to squish it in my hands... and bonus you're not allowed to eat it.
  • EmperorBlack
    EmperorBlack Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this too. I don't have advice on how to completely stop this but I've swapped as much as possible for healthy things. When I want chocolate I try to eat fruit. If that isn't what I want then jelly or yogurt. It's sweet enough but a bit better calorie wise.

Also if you like them. Marshmallows are a good substitute as they (if you get the right ones) aren't too sugary and are low cal. Pink and white wafer ones are quite good.
  • kennedysimmons54
    kennedysimmons54 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I personally don't know what you're going through, but I do have friends who have gone through the same thing. One of my friends found things to distract himself, like taking a walk, or music. Another friend of mine just replaced the food he was eating with healthy snacks like celery, or carrots. You can add me for support and motivation if you'd like :). Good luck and keep pushing for your goal! You can do it!
  • BarbieGirlSweetie
    BarbieGirlSweetie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank You! I will have to try that sand thing. Maybe carry a small container around with me! And Marshmellows sound like a very great substitute! And I guess I've never thought about districting myself with a walk or something else.
  • mhulgan
    mhulgan Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    For me right now, I still need something to chew on when I get stressed. I'm a stay at home mom with two preschoolers, so I get stressed all the time and I have a whole kitchen at my disposal!! First I started eating a piece of fruit, then I was able to drop down to making a cup of green tea (waiting for the water to boil helped too), and now a glass of water (mostly) does the trick. I don't know why, but consuming something, even just the water, works.
  • SnoNight
    SnoNight Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm the same. I didn't realize it was how I coped with things until a nurse pointed it out during college. Now that I live at home, it's still difficult because my dad is in charge of what kinds of food is in the house. He does buy healthy food sometimes, but when I eat the small amount that he buys (he's constantly on a budget) there is nothing to eat but the junk food! I heard stress eating on vegetables might help, however I've never had the chance to try this.
  • Sydbert93
    Sydbert93 Posts: 11
    Options
    I either stress eat or pretend the thing thats stressing me out doesnt exist
  • 60gettinggone
    Options
    I stress eat often. I had someone once tell me that when I want to grab a snack or feel the urge to grab lots of snacks all at once, look at the clock and wait 10 minutes. If I still want it in 10 minutes then eat it. It really worked for me.

I need to do it again!