Are post workout protein shakes necessary?

Options
So I workout via circuit training with TRX, free weights, and cardio for 1-1.5 hours three times a week. I currently am not taking any post workout protein shakes. Am I doing myself a disadvantage or does it not really matter? I'm also eating 1200 cal a day trying to stick to a 40/30/30 macro split. Any advice is appreciated!

Replies

• MeganFlanagan16
    MeganFlanagan16 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I always drink protein shakes after working out. Helps repair the muscle quicker...
  • midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Not necessary.
  • MeganFlanagan16
    Options
    I was on a 1200 calorie diet before my trainer told me that wasn't enough. Now I'm eating about 1400 a day 40/35/25 split.
  • MeganFlanagan16
    Options
    Not necessary, but helpful to repair the muscle you're rebuilding.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    Post workout shakes are definitely not necessary. If you you are low on your Protien requirements but don't have many calories left for the day you can always eat a high Protien, low calorie snack such as Greek yogurt, egg, or cottage cheese for a post workout snack.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    A protein shake is just a supplement to help you hit your protein goals. Your overall protein intake is what is ultimately important for muscle retention and recovery.
  • Haslandboi92
    Options
    It's not "necessary" per se, and it doesn't have to be a shake, it could be a cooked meal. A mix of protein and carbs are generally required post workout as that's when your body needs energy most, though.
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Nope, not necessary. I just like them and use them as a meal supplement for breakfast after a workout!
  • THenry8
    THenry8 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Since I had the Gastric Sleeve Surgery almost 2 years ago, I am required to drink protein shakes everyday for the rest of my life! It was hard at first, cause I hated to drink them, but when I found a flavor or brand that I liked, it became easier for me. I do focus more on Protein than muscle, cause protein for me is more important! If I need to after a workout, I drink a protein shake with some fiber powder to boost the fiber in my system as well! I would recommend drinking one half of a protein shake for now and save the rest for later of the day! Cause all of the protein all at once won't fit in all! I too have to at least stick to a 1,200 calorie diet for my meals. You're not making any mistakes, but adding a protein shake will help get the protein(maybe muscle) you need for the day! I hope that helps!
  • beertrollruss
    beertrollruss Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goal. People trying to build muscle should consume whey protein and fast acting carbs within 45 minutes of completing a workout.
  • angielisa75
    angielisa75 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Last year I decided to try having a protein drink after my hard workouts, What happened was it blocked me up badly. So instead I just eat lots of food with protein like eggs and quinoa. So No they are not necessary.
    Their are lots of calories in those shakes and should be counted as you daily calories intake by the way.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    No. Any good quality protein paired with some carbs is all you need. Shakes are great for convenience, but they often have things in them you don’t want to put in your body (sugar, flavorings, etc.).
  • jujuev
    jujuev Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone's reply it's very helpfu!
  • FashionQueen86
    FashionQueen86 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    To get my protein I usually just cook egg whites in the morning. I was never a protein shake person. I've tried so hard to consume that stuff, but the taste sucks. so, I usually just cook a cup of egg whites; around 50grams of protein almost 300 calories. Not sure if that's good or bad, but that's what I do.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,583 Member
    Options
    I always drink protein shakes after working out. Helps repair the muscle quicker...
    Not really true. It will help you reach your protein macros faster, but actual "repair" goes into the next day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Not necessary, but helpful to repair the muscle you're rebuilding.
    Not necessary if you're reaching your protein macros with food. Trainer has you believing in broscience. While there is an optimal window after workout, the results in the average gym goer is negligible for results. A highly trained elite athlete might benefit (and that's still a might) better from it, but for most following it, it's not that noticeable.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    It's not "necessary" per se, and it doesn't have to be a shake, it could be a cooked meal. A mix of protein and carbs are generally required post workout as that's when your body needs energy most, though.
    Still not "required".

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    It depends on your goal. People trying to build muscle should consume whey protein and fast acting carbs within 45 minutes of completing a workout.
    People needing to build muscle just need adequate protein and a calorie surplus by the end of the day. The timing doesn't really matter that much.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    No.