Finding time to exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Are you a single mother? Just curious as it seems like I see a lot of women here who are doing all of the taking care of this and that, cleaning, cooking, kids...doing their husbands laundry, etc and I always wonder what the *kitten* the husband does.

At any-rate my wife and I work as a team...fitness is important to both of us so we make the time (finding time is a passive endeavor...time will never be found...there will always be something else to fill that time) and we just help each other out.

For example, she hits the gym on Monday and Wednesday evening and I pick the kids up from day care and get them home, fed, bathed, etc. Opposite is done on Tuesday and Thursday when I hit the gym and she takes care of the domestics. She's off work on Fridays so she hits the gym then and I hit it again on Saturday mornings. She runs a lot at lunch times and I primarily ride and use my lunch for that. She goes for one long run on Saturday when I get home from the gym so I usually take the kids out to go do something fund...and my long ride is usually Sunday and my wife takes the kids out for mommy and kiddo time.

Sometimes we all go do some fun fitness stuff as a family as well...we enjoy getting out for a family bike ride when the weather is nice.
  • berescga
    berescga Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I work out at what I affectionately call "stupid early" because I am a morning person, dh works out in the evening, and if I don't get it done first thing in the morning there are way too many excuses that get in the way. It works for me, although I know dh wishes I didn't go to bed so early at night.

You just have to make it a priority and figure out what works for you. Good luck!
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I plan my workout times and put them in the calendar in my phone and stick to it.
  • aimsterrz
    aimsterrz Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I find myself having a tough time putting the effort in going to the gym, but I do the beachbody programs. Some of those programs are 25-30 minutes long and I do not have to go anywhere. It keeps me more accountable for working out if I dont have to leave the house!
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I work early morning till mid afternoon. I usually do my weightlifting at the gym after work and my HIIT workouts in the evening after a short rest.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I make it mandatory.

i have 4 kids - 7, 5 ,4 and 6 months. Its hard, but if i give myself the option - i wont go.
  • SunflowerCat74
    SunflowerCat74 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    It's non-negotiable! I will nix errands, social events, etc...to get my workouts in if needed. Before I had a gym w/child care I used to go to bed when the kids did and then workout at 4am so I could be home in time to get them ready for school at 6am. Now I go to the gym and if the kids are with me, they go too. Mommy's not very nice if she skips her workouts.
  • midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Make it a priority, and you will "find" the time.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Like others are saying, you don't find time. You make it.
  • rachelklewis3
    rachelklewis3 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I try to get up early and exercise before my two girls (2 and 5) get up, or make it work mid morning with the kids running around me. They even have their own 1 lb. weights, which is pretty adorable. Gym is not currently an option for me so I do you tube videos (Jillian Michaels, Jessica Smith, etc.) It was hard getting in to a routine at first but if you commit you can make it happen!