Exercising with a Headache

Options
I had set a goal today of doing 341 stairs...1 stair for every pound I weighed in at today. However, I went to bed with and woke up with an awful headache. I don't have my blood pressure cuff here, but it doesn't feel like a BP headache...and my blood sugars are fine (checked this this AM).
It bothers me a little about exercising with a headache, but I've also heard exercise can help you breakthrough a headache. I am just interested in hearing different opinions. I realize that few on this site are medical professionals and honestly, I'm planning on doing whatever I can..I just wanted to hear what you do about exercise when you have a headache. And the reasoning behind it too!
Thanks for sharing folks!

Replies

• SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I get headaches quite a bit. Usually I just make myself workout. Sometimes I feel better afterwards, sometimes I don't, but it has never made it worse. It also depends on how bad the headache is. One time I had such a bad migraine, I took the day off. All that is my long-winded way of saying you should do what feels right for you. :)
  • SuzMac1981
    SuzMac1981 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Exercise can certainly help with a headache but don't do any heavy lifting! A 15-20 minute walk in fresh air would help or just some light calisthenics. Also, try holding your pressure point in the web between your index finger and your thumb for about 2 minutes. That might relieve your headache a bit.
  • FL_Nettie
    FL_Nettie Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Like Sabrina I am a frequent headache sufferer. I find that doing high impact exercise (like jogging) tend to make me feel a bit worse. Swimming also doesn't work well for me when I have a headache as the chlorine bothers me. But walking or weight training don't seem to make much of a difference one way or the other. The only way to know is to try and see what works for you. Feel Better :smile:
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I exercise through headaches but not migraines. I had one this morning, went for a run, and felt a lot better, but now it's come back.
  • HendryL
    HendryL Posts: 5
    Options
    I suffer with migraines and I find that exercise actually brings a few hours of relief from the head pain. And I agree with the others, it's a personal matter. Try different types of exercise when you have a headache and see what happens. I bet you will find some kind you can do with a headache and your head may even feel better afterwards. Keep up the good work with exercise!