sell me on an activity; great need

Options
My gym membership ends in May, and I do not plan to renew. I tried to love it, but I don't. Making myself go there feels like making myself go for a root canal. So please, don't suggest the gym.

Other than that, what do you do to keep fit? Why do you love it?

I'm 61, female, good health other than 50-70 extra pounds, swollen, painful joint below big toe in left foot, nothing else to hold me back other than lack of fitness. I can walk for an hour in spite of the foot; that's the longest so far.

I need something active I can start doing.

Replies

• Amber_hanson27
    Amber_hanson27 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Dancing is always fun. Great any time of day. :D
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I hated the gym, I felt like a hamster in a wheel. I took up Taekwondo, and it is amazing! It's made me stronger, fitter and more graceful and it inspires me to do stuff I'd otherwise shun (running etc) so I get better at it.
  • Kida_Adeylne
    Kida_Adeylne Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Swimming:
    -You burn an awesome amount of calories
    -There's lots of technique to learn, which (for me) makes it interesting
    -You can get a good workout as a beginner, or as an expert.
    -No sweatiness post work-out
    -Easy on the joints
    -Indoor swimming is year round
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Biking?
    Hiking?
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I <3 walking! Don't sell yourself short on your fitness level. One hour of brisk walking is great! That's my daily goal (5x/week). I despise gyms, so I do strength training at home.

Calisthenics/body weight specifically--check out Body By You by Mark Lauren (it's a book). 30 minutes a day/3 days a week. Can be done anywhere, anytime, with no equipment (well, a coffee table/desk, a door, a towel, and your body ;) ).

There's other body weight programs out there, but this is the one I use, I like it, and it is progressively difficult, yet an easy to follow plan, working from a "zero" fitness level to "sky's the limit", at your personal pace.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    What are your real goals? If it is fat loss, that has to do with the food you eat, not your activities. If you’re looking to get healthier, building strength is one of the key components. You can do bodyweight exercises to do that.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I hate the act of going to a gym, but I lift weights at home. I do it while watching tv. I also enjoy hiking and running.

I'd like to get into biking, but where I live isn't a good place to safely ride a bike. I'd end up having to load the bike onto my vehicle and drive somewhere to ride, and that's too much like driving to the gym that I hated so much.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Another big fan of swimming here. It is a total body workout that combines resistance with cardio and is easy on the joints. Right now, at my slow pace, I am burning close to 600 calories an hour (according to an average of several different calculators)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm loving the swimming too! Hubster and I go 3 times a week and it's amazing watching our progress!
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    What are your real goals? If it is fat loss, that has to do with the food you eat, not your activities. If you’re looking to get healthier, building strength is one of the key components. You can do bodyweight exercises to do that.

Thanks AllanM, I understand about fat loss and diet. I also want to be strong and have shape.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Thanks for suggestions, everyone. I will try them all.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    For many people over 55+, Tai Chi (lots of places do them in parks) is a good low impact exercise regimen. Still have to use strength, breathing technique and coordination.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png