Exclusively breastfeeding and calorie intake.

Options
I want to know the minimum calorie and fat intake you can take in while breastfeeding. I do not want to jeopardize my milk supply by any means but I want to get rid of this baby weight as fast and safely as I can.

Replies

• maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard fat requirements, but if you're exclusively breastfeeding, I'd add at LEAST 500 calories to whatever MFP tells you your daily recommendation is until you get info from your ob/gyn or your pediatrician (who can tailor it to YOU and your little one specifically). That means you would NEVER eat under 1700 calories a day (min ever recommended by MFP is 1200 for a woman, + the 500 for breastfeeding)..... and you need to make sure you ADD in any exercise calories you burn to that equation (MFP will add them in for you as long as you add it to your exercise log/diary.

Hope that helps, if it's confusing just holler and we'll all jump in and try to make it a little more clear. ;-)

Great job on getting healthy AND doing what's best for you and your little one!

Edit: Keep an eye on your milk supply...... if it seems like it's diminishing, add more cals (even if it means going over 500 extra cals), biggest thing for me seemed to be making sure my fluid intake was sufficient, so easy to get dehydrated and have that affect supply....
  • its_betty
    its_betty Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I've heard that breastfeeding uses about 500 calories a day. So I'd add 500 calories to the minimum that MFP gives you.

But recovering from pregnancy and childbirth is hard, and feeding a baby is important. And caring for a baby takes energy and can be exhausting at times! I suggest you err on the side of eating more.

For me, my body held on to a few extra pounds while I was breastfeeding--I think it was Mother Nature's insurance that baby would be fed in case of a famine. So don't panic if you can't lose all the pregnancy weight at once. 9 months to gain it, until after you are done breastfeeding to lose it all.
  • Steph_Anie
    Steph_Anie Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    i finally put off weight loss till I was done with breast feeding---I couldn't find an intake that really worked for me--- but thre are lots of peeps on here that are doing the same thing- there is actually an input for breastfeeding that will add in negative calories when you put it in as a food. That is what i always did. Congratulations on your new one and breastfeeding! I'm sure other moms will be more help in the initial queston answer :-)
  • ljmcquade
    ljmcquade Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I take the recommended calories for a 1lb per week loss and then add 500 because I'm exclusively breastfeeding.
  • kristibluesky
    Options
    I work in OB and just wanted to add that you should increase your fluids. drink every time you feed baby.
  • GetFitNowKrystal
    GetFitNowKrystal Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    In your food log type in nursing or breastfeeding and it shows up there :)
  • sgk0411
    sgk0411 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I'm at about 1800 most days since i'm still bf-ing and my supply is fine. although i think i'm kinda holding onto a few pounds now that i'm down 60 but that's ok. i'm good with where I am.
  • geewizzamanda357
    geewizzamanda357 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    If you search for breastfeeding in the food database, it will give you several options that will add calories back in. That's what I do, and it works great!
  • CHEVYLOVER
    CHEVYLOVER Posts: 15
    Options
    In your food log type in nursing or breastfeeding and it shows up there :)

I did not know this, I will have to look into it. Thanks.
  • mwilson1018
    mwilson1018 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    There's a group for women who have recently given birth, losing weight, breastfeeding, etc if you want to join! It's a great place to ask these kind of questions...that's what I do! :smile: Search for the group "Postnatal - May 2011"
  • CHEVYLOVER
    Options
    i finally put off weight loss till I was done with breast feeding---I couldn't find an intake that really worked for me--- but thre are lots of peeps on here that are doing the same thing- there is actually an input for breastfeeding that will add in negative calories when you put it in as a food. That is what i always did. Congratulations on your new one and breastfeeding! I'm sure other moms will be more help in the initial queston answer :-)

Im still trying to find a balance, between the exercise and nursing it gets a little confusing at times.
  • CHEVYLOVER
    Options
    There's a group for women who have recently given birth, losing weight, breastfeeding, etc if you want to join! It's a great place to ask these kind of questions...that's what I do! :smile: Search for the group "Postnatal - May 2011"

OK, thanks.
  • CHEVYLOVER
    Options
    So if you burned 500 calories exercising and 500 calories nursing you would have to consume 2200 calories minimum? I hope I don't sound stupid.

Nobody knows about the fat intake though?
  • SSawney
    SSawney Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    you add 500 calories and in your food log you can add breastfeeding and they have the option in there and add it daily that is what I do.
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I always just added BFing to my cardio, 1 min. 500 cal when EBF, then when I got to 4-6 feedings I dropped it to 250.....

I always gained what while nursing, and when I did lose 26 lbs while nursing my daughter who was 12-15 mos at the time I gained almost all right back when I stopped counting calories...

Main concerns will be a well balanced diet, TONS of water-at least 8 oz PER feeding, and exercise. As long as you are eating a well portioned diet, you should be fine. Definitely watch your daughter cues for a diminishing supply. You can eat real oatmeal to boost your supply. ;)