Gaining as a Celiac

Options
so I'm 6-4 and a few months ago, somehow I became gluten intolerant and lost about 30 pounds. I'm struggling to to maintain 180. Any advice?

Replies

• hall1570
    hall1570 Posts: 2
    Options
    It says here that I need to be eating about 3380 calories a day to gain a pound a week but that seems like so much. I was 210 and had a 18 percent body fat. Now I look like a skeleton and can't seem to gain despite eating two hamburger patties as snacks a day
  • al142
    al142 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you have just been diagnosed with celiac disease and have not been gluten free for very long, your body still needs time to heal before you can properly absorb food again. The other thing to be very sure of is whether your diet is completely gluten free, including watching out for trace contamination. If not, you will be continuing to get worse, not better.
  • cpp_happy
    cpp_happy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    al142 wrote: »
    If you have just been diagnosed with celiac disease and have not been gluten free for very long, your body still needs time to heal before you can properly absorb food again. The other thing to be very sure of is whether your diet is completely gluten free, including watching out for trace contamination. If not, you will be continuing to get worse, not better.

I agree... Cut out ALL gluten and give yourself time to heal, it'll come. I lost a bunch of weight before I knew I have celiac disease. Took time to start gaining... Not I need to lose a few lol (6 years later).
    On the plus side... You'll feel better and better each day once your fully gf and healed.
    In the mean time, why not focus on real unprocessed food?? And eat processed food only if labelled GF.
    You can add me if you want, I'm always happy to help if I can.
    Good luck!
  • butterbear1980
    butterbear1980 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I would *completely* disagree with the above about only GF unprocessed foods. One of my children is extremely gluten sensitive so we keep it out of the house my husband is about your size and here are things he eats to not loose weight, potato chips, hash browns, popcorn, fries, all the chocolate, full fat dairy, nut butter, smoothies, ice cream,etc.etc...
  • gio14
    gio14 Posts: 57 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Definitely get your gut in order first otherwise it's gonna be hard to absorb food and nutrients and gain weight. I had lots of stomach issues. I was lactose intolerant, but it always crept it in thru various food sources and destroyed my digestion making it near impossible to gain weight since I wasn't holding anything. I've cleaned that up, started taking probiotics and other stomach soothing stuff like aloe vera, ginger etc. My gut is 100%.

Your calorie intake doesn't seem high at all for someone your size I'm at over 4000+cals a day. Just start with what is prescribed and track your weight on a weekly basis, weigh your self at the same time of the day, since u will fluctuate at different times. Track trends after a few weeks, gaining too much..decrease by 200-300 a day not gaining enough up ur intake by the same amount. It's going to be a testing process to see how ur body reacts with the calorie surplus.

What u eat is up to u. I completely disagree with the junk diet for gaining, but lots of people here will say otherwise. I would just say.. if ur making a choice to be healthier then why not use healthy foods packed with nutrients instead of training yourself with stuff like ice cream, potato chips etc. which will make it harder to get off that food when u need to dial back. Enjoy your experiment!