Spiralization...your thoughts

Options
I love looking at recipes and different ways of using foods. More and more iv seen recipes for squash spaghetti, carrot spaghetti and my personal favourite name, zoodles. I love vegetables and to be honest can take or leave pasta...I enjoy it but wouldn't miss it if it wasn't around.

It's got me thinking a lot about purchasing a spiralizing contraption and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on them and really the wheat spaghetti vs. veggie spaghetti difference?

X

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I have a spiralizer device. I like it. It is a fun way to eat vegetables and fruits.

I have not done regular spaghetti sauce dumped on zucchini. It would be a bit different than regular spaghetti but not bad. You only need to cook the zoodles just 2-3 minutes so they are pretty quick to prepare.

Skinnytaste.com and inspiralized.com have some recipes.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I just have a cheapy from ebay, it kind of looks like a giant pencil sharpner. It's great for zucchini and the like, but not good enough to do carrots etc. I'm debating the proper spiralizer, but I also have far too many gadgets already...

As for the comparison, veggies are veggies and pasta is pasta and never shall one truly be mistaken for the other, but I do love chucking zoodles through stirfried veg with sauces, or with a pasta sauce (particularly a creamy one). I also mix zoodles into my actual pasta to bulk up a pasta dish, and make a hot veggie dish with sauteed mushroom, capsicum, spinach, onion, cherry tomato and salami tossed through zoodles with a spoonful of pesto - it's divine!
  • tfernan
    tfernan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I like zoodles! They don't absorb the sauce the way regular noodles would, of course. But I think they are tasty :) I often put salt, pepper and garlic powder directly on the cooked zoodles before adding sauce.

This is a yummy recipe I've tried http://mindovermunch.com/?portfolio=zucchini-alfredo
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I enjoy making zoodles with zucchini or yellow squash. I've basically replaced pasta.

There is something satisfying about the stranded veggies that sates my pasta cravings, but for way fewer calories. My next experiment will be to make a cauliflower alfredo sauce i read about, and serve it over zoodles.

I love how adventurous learning to eat healthily can be!
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I really like zoodles as well. For me though, it could never take the place of pasta. I see it as a fun new veggie dish.
  • KTWands88
    Options
    Thanks, I think I will give it a go. I like the idea of having a little mix of spaghetti and veggie noodles as well. And the mindovermunch Alfredo looks very yummy!

Iv done some research on different ones, can't wait to get it.

Thanks again :) xx
  • vomckey
    vomckey Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have an inexpensive zoodle maker.. Love it. Kids ask for zoodle a instead of pasta. 2ohwa79smifu.jpg
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I like mine, but frankly it would taste the same if the zucchini was just cut in thin slices IMO!