Please help...can't stop eating junk!

Options
2»

Replies

• tjcuts339
    tjcuts339 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Don't buy it... Don't bring it into your house.

I've been at the grocery store many times and picked up things I should'nt be getting and I just have to put them back. You're in control.

• DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    helpful for me to have a variety to good things stocked to snack on. I'm familiar with the runs to the convenience store - it was a combo of boredom, avoiding the work I should be doing, and medicating with food. There was always healthy stuff around, but unless there's a big variety, I stare at it and think, "there's nothing there I want" and off I go to find something that fits the moment. So I try to keep sweet, savory, salty, and crunchy, and gooey/creamy categories stocked all the time, but in healthier options. Then there's something to satisfy every craving right at hand.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    If you have time to go to the convenience store and then go and watch" irrelevant videos" for hours, you have time to go running instead. Whenever you get the urge to go buy the stuff, excercise. It will make you feel better, and if you do eat a treat after, it won't be as bad. B)
  • LitenMage
    Options
    I do not keep anything in the house that I am prone to binge on. I actually bought a safe that when I do buy foods that I am prone to binge on go directly in the safe. My two teenage daughters only have the keys.

This, really is... extreme. Might I suggest that you relable ´binge´ as ´addiction´ instead? That is what I have been forced to do. A good number of years ago I was a thin regular person. In fact, I was perhaps unusual, in that I normally declined cookies when offered, never ate ice cream and seldom bought a chocolate cake. Etc, etc.

Then I developed a depression - without being aware of the fact - and practically began living on junk food. In a snap I then gained about 30 kg of extra body fat. To cut a long story much shorter, I eventually managed to get rid of those kilos by using paper, pen, calculator, calorie lists and one heck of a discipline (pardon spelling errors or grammar; English is neither first, second or any normal language of mine).

Though, now sugars and fat had become true addictive substances for me, and the only safe path was to NEVER keep junk at my place. Even today I must live by that rule - otherwise I ´inhale´ the stuff within hours of purchase.

Then, if I am that firm about junk, why am I here at MFP? Well, two years ago (minus one month) I kicked the other delibitating addiction - nicotine... And surprise, surprise, a lot of kilos started to accumulate. Just by using regular food; and falling now and then for the candy siren ;-) Having truly educated myself about the nicotine addiction, I can place the junk addiction at the same severity, and use the same successful strategies: One day at a time - No candy TODAY - One is never enough - As long as it stays on the store shelf I can resist! Asf...

Perhaps a bit of a rant, but addictions are close to my heart. They can be beaten, though with the rigid rule that for eg. nicotine, I can _never_ take another hit. I am a ´sober´ nicoholic, and will always be.
  • superwillpowered
    superwillpowered Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you SO MUCH, everyone! Sorry I've been late checking back because I've been so busy with classes but I pretty much managed to start regaining some control yesterday and today. I only had one icecream yesterday, and that was after a whole day of in-control, healthy, 'conscious' eating. Today I was about to cave in and get a muffin on my way home from classes, but got sushi instead! I feel really good every time I manage to dissuade myself away from the unhealthy, triggering foods/actions. Thanks again for all your replies and encouragement and tips, it means a lot. Best of luck with your journeys! :)
  • inchwormbyinchworm
    inchwormbyinchworm Posts: 180 Member
    Options

I recommend keeping a cravings journal, where you write down the time and date, what you're craving and how you are feeling at the same time. Chances are that confronting it in black and white on the page can help you talk yourself out of doing it.

Don't forget to highlight in bright cheerful colors the times you resisted temptation and didn't give in to the cravings!

Also, the more junk you eat the more you crave it. So it does get easier the further you get away from it. The products you crave are actually manufactured to make you crave it. So @superwillpowered‌ it is a matter of willpower, but not •just• a matter of willpower.
  • superwillpowered
    superwillpowered Posts: 8 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I will definitely start a cravings log and be sure to highlight the small victories! - Thanks Marchmallow and inchwormbyinchworm :)

And it's true, I have noticed from previous times when I overcame the binge eating habits for fleeting periods that it gets easier with time.

Willpower stacks upwards... Every time we resist temptation to compulsively eat/binge, we set our future selves up for an easier time resisting the urge :)
  • tjcuts339
    Options
    Mine is chocolate. ..But only eat a very small amount. Then know you need to workout [/To compensate. For it .
  • RisenRun
    RisenRun Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    If I buy junk food, I'm going to eat it. It's as simple as that for me. I make a choice not to buy it, because I know I will put it in my mouth if it's here. I load my frig with healthy choices and I have a sweet tooth so I make choc mousse with whip cream and unsweetened choc powder. It tastes like choc ice cream, or for salty I have some flat pretzels, but you still have to limit what you ingest. Good luck!
  • Sydbert93
    Sydbert93 Posts: 11
    Options
    i usually just avoid the food isles with all the junk in when im shopping, if I can't see it I can't be tempted to get it. cause when i see it i tend to buy it in bulk and im way too poor to be doing that now :/
  • tjcuts339
    Options
    Yes Rise/ run choices like that.Are fat more sensible.. We do that as well..Kids selling. Candy for baseball you can't keep it out of House! !
  • nfglze
    nfglze Posts: 2
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I recently moved out of home and am working part-time and also studying full-time in an intensive, year-long programme at university. I now live in the central city where convenience stores are abundant. I have recently formed a bad habit where instead of doing work, I go to a nearby store to stock up on bad snack foods like muffins, potato chips, crackers, chocolate, ice cream, and proceed to watch irrelevant, uninformative, inconsequential TV shows or Youtube videos. It's been getting out of hand and I really can't go on like this but when I get 'in the zone' I can't stop myself. I just feel guilty and ashamed and disappointed in myself afterwards, but during the binge/in the act of buying the junk food, nothing rational enters my head. I have a history of binge and comfort eating but it's never been this bad, simply because I've never been so close to so much temptation. Another problem is that I am spending a lot of money on unnecessary unhealthy food, but I always somehow manage to justify/overlook that while I am buying the crap.

If anyone has any strategies or tips on how to avoid succumbing to bad food choices or breaking a binge habit, I would really appreciate you sharing with me. I am desperate to end this cycle and get back to normal. I know food should be seen as fuel but right now I'm using it to entertain myself in an otherwise stressful lifestyle...

Many thanks in advance!

I take garcinia cambogia extract 1500mg in the morning it's helps curb appetite for most of the day. Also chug a glass of water when you feel hungry then wait 15 minutes. Most of the time when we binge on junk food it's because we are dehydrated. Also try chewing peppermint sugar free gum as peppermint also suppresses appetite and chewing gum tell your mind and body that you are eating because you are chewing the gum which can also satisfy your tummy. Try not to eat after 7pm give yourself 3 hours before bedtime without eating. Eating within 3 hours before you go to bed will make your stomach store the food as fat because you're gonna be sleeping and not burning it off. Hope this helps :)
  • eeelizabeth2012
    eeelizabeth2012 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Identify your triggers... is it being tired? Overwhelmed? Stressed? TV? Evenings? Try having healthy snacks on hand. Watch less TV. Reward yourself with a healthy treat after so many hours of school work. Go for a power walk when feeling tired or unmotivated to do school work. Drink more water. Eat less sugar, salt, grease etc... these tend to make you crave more and more. After supper is my most difficult time. I try and stay busy, sip on tea, and save enough calories to have a healthy snack if need be.