Gluten-free

Options
I recently found out I cant eat Wheat, Barley & Rye. Any suggestions for meals? Ive been eating Quinoa at breakfast, its alittle bland. Any feed back would be awesome!

Replies

• AndreaWhite611
    AndreaWhite611 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Hello....I have celiac so im very strict gluten free. Feel free to snoop my diary.

Other breakfast suggestions:

Eggs (so many types! ) with pemale bacon or Turkey bacon and fruit or yogurt.

Smoothies. I do yogurt and fruit and milk in mine.

Oatmeal (I tolerate the "only oats" brand). I like it with cinnamon, raisens and a bit of brown sugar.

Good luck! Happy to help at all....it can feel overwhelming at first but trust me it's not hard!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Make your Quinoa with a broth, one that is homemade or a store bought boxed or canned chicken or vegetable broth that is gluten free.
  • japanfan08
    japanfan08 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Quinoa can go either way--savory or sweet! But it definitely need some (well, a lot imo) jazzing up!!
    Oatmeal is always a solid choice. Plenty of recipes for oatmeal and quinoa porridges if you search via google.

For savory, you could also try rice (brown or white). There's a Japanese dish called "zosui." Take cooked rice, some broth, some thinly sliced green onion and cook it for a bit until the rice gets softer and absorbs some of the liquid. Then pour in a scrambled egg and stir until the egg is cooked. Tasty! (I actually made this for dinner last night so it's fresh in my mind!) You could add meat if you eat it or some other veggies or whatever herbs/spices you like.

You'll definitely be able to find a lot of tasty things to eat, even without the wheat/gluten! Best of luck to you!
  • DeeD946
    DeeD946 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • jt880
    jt880 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Eat paleo works for me 1000s of recipes on here and google.
  • cpp_happy
    cpp_happy Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is soooo good cooked in almond milk with a bit or maple syrup and a bunch of cinnamon added in.
    I also love baked oatmeal. I prep it for the week and take it to work.
    Oatmeal with dried fruit and pb powder added.
    Keep playing... Gf gets easier the longer your at it :)
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Brown rice cakes and cream cheese are nice for a quick snack (Lundberg rice cakes are GF).

A nice breakfast thing is if you get Thai black rice (you can get big bags of it), cook it, mix it with pureed bananas and dates, and then bake it. Makes a sweet rice custard/pudding.

If you want something quick and it's just regular cereal - rice chex brand is gluten free currently.

Quinoa used in place of rice for stir fries - with GF soy sauce, of course. :-)

Millet and sorghum are interesting - they have a porridge like consistency, but thick, and taste better with savory dishes, so kind of fascinating to try out.
  • glutenfreechic
    glutenfreechic Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Gf here too, celiac disease also. Gf weetbix is a new fave made with sorghum grains, (NZ). Gf toast. Eggs. Yoghurt and gf muesli. Smoothies. Millet porridge. Yoghurt and fruit. Lots of varied options when you get the hang of it
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I eat berries with milk and a bit of sugar (weighed of course) for breakfast every day. If I can't get decent berries, I eat Cinnamon Chex.
  • DeeD946
    DeeD946 Posts: 7
    Options
    Thanks all these are great ideas!
  • eveedance
    eveedance Posts: 77
    Options
    Your best bet is one-ingredient foods (meat, fish, fowl, eggs, veggies, fruit, nuts). Lots of Primal/paleo cookbooks and websites.

Just don't substitute the gluten with the gluten free substitutes that are even worse.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    Oooh, and smoothies! Smoothies are nice to make yourself, and quick and pretty easy, too, when you are in a hurry.

There's this funky powder, PB and PB2, that is essentially powdered peanut butter, or powdered peanut butter and chocolate, but with some of the fat removed. It's really nice to add to banana smoothies and it was certified GF last I looked. My kids loved it, although it ain't cheap, so we didn't eat it a LOT. But for something fun every once in a while, you know?

Another easy one we'd do is chopped up pieces of banana with a little peanut butter on them, then pierced with a toothpick and frozen together. That comes out nice, especially as the weather warms..
  • Roseread19
    Roseread19 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There is also think kind bars they are full of gluten free whole grains and really good. The maple pumpkin seed one is really good. Vans PB and j bars are good a little sugary but they are good for a treat. Think thin bars are good for a treat every once in a while for A chocolate craving. They make a lot of breads in the gluten free frozen section along with English muffins. There is a lot of gf breadcrumbs I like the Kellogg's one it doesn't say gf on it but I have been gf for over a yr and have never had an issue with them. Vanilla Chex is really good. All plain rice is gluten free; brown rice, white rice, Amarillo rice,etc. there is a lot of gluten free stuff on amazon.com. You don't have to buy at places like mrs greens or whole foods to get good gf food, those places are expensive and there are so many gf foods available in regular grocery stores like shoprite, stop & shop & a & p. Be careful with canned veggies and fruits really read the ingredients some of the additives are not gf. The less ingredients the better. There are corn tortia soft shells you can use to make casadas but be careful they tend to fall apart. You can have tacos the hard shells in the taco dinner box but not the soft ones they have wheat in them. You have to be prepared to read every label they have to put whether it has wheat but it's always good to double check ingredients before hand. Vans frozen pancakes are disgusting. Also not sure if you are aware but beauty products like makeup, shampoos and lotions have gluten in them. Of course it depends on what products you are using. Not sure how sensitive you are but that may affect you. also some toothpastes and mouth washes have them too. Celiacs.com is a good website gives you info about things that have gluten in them that are not obvious like condiments such as soy sauce. Good luck on eating gluten free!