Stress eating

Options
Anyone else reach for the 'crap cupboard' when they are stressed?? that's me! I don't smoke, I only drink alcohol once a month and and am against recreational drugs HOWEVER i do love a good biscuit!! So how to tackle this so called comfort eating habit? Since using MFP I have noticed one thing, and that is that I am reaching for the crap cupboard less often and I don't think it is due to reduced stress levels as I still have 2 kids, 3 jobs and a hectic family life so my finger points towards the rest of my general eating habits. I am a sufferer of what I call HANGER - that feeling you get when you are hungry, your blood sugars are low and you get angry because you need a quick fix. Well since keeping on top of this with regular good eating habits I have managed to keep the crap cupboard at bay. Don't get me wrong, if I have enough calories to allow for a sneaky biscuit or 2 in the evening I will have it but it's not out of impulse - it is now a treat to myself for being good during the day. Yes, I reward myself with something bad for being good BUT it is all in proportion now.

Share your 'comfort eating' experiences here and ideas on how we can combat them .....

Replies

• abb117
    abb117 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have become big on gum chewing. Whenever I feel like I want to snack just for the sake of snacking not because I'm hungry, I grab a piece of gum. That lasts about 45 minutes or so, and it has been working pretty well for me. I just go through gum way too fast now! I also keep ice breaker duos in my purse.
  • dancelementsuk
    dancelementsuk Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    chewing gum can help but it can also increase your appetite due to your mouth producing more saliva - there are conflicting studies regarding chewing gum but for me personally chewing gum can make me more hungry depending when I use it .... My advice would be don't use it to curb hunger but use it to curb cravings :-)
  • mwalle09
    mwalle09 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    This describes me so much! (Aside from the alcohol once a month, that happens a lot more often) Over the years I've put on so much weight and its from stress eating at work and at home. I hear trying to drink more water helps with this.
  • julietadimova
    julietadimova Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm also guilty of keeping one of those cupboards. I find it easier not to stock it rather than resist cravings. Aka exercise restrain when I shop :) Keeping different flavored tea around also helps. For me the problem is when I skip a meal and start getting jittery. I feel as though I need to overeat in order to compensate and overeat with fast carbs. When I remember to drink a large glass of warm water before eating in those cases, I can usually control the cravings. Good luck!
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I do the same, and despite my weight loss 50 total, 19 since using app, I've plateaued and keep losing and gaining the same 5 lbs. I chalk it up to the cabin fever (I can force my to hike in cold weather but not on icy paths) and (premenopausal) and stress. But at the hard truth of it, I got complacent, and maybe a bit lazy. Feel free to add me because I do appreciate sharing humor over all things including the "crap cupboard"!
  • dancelementsuk
    dancelementsuk Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Water definitely - never under estimate the power of water!! Water before meals is also good, my partner swears by flavoured water but they are full of sugar or sweeteners so be cautious but whatever works I guess. I can't stomach a meal bigger than a children's sized plate so eating little and often but of the RIGHT food helps me too
  • engr57
    engr57 Posts: 61
    Options
    hi