How to do a pull up?

Options
I can't do a pull up to save my life. I can do push ups, planks and hand stands. When I try for a pull up... Nothing. I don't go anywhere. Any pointers? Are there certain muscles that I should/could be strengthening with other exercises? Is this a weight problem (start 226, currently 174)?

A typical upper body workout (if I can't go swimming)- 1-2 minute plank, 10 regular push ups, 10 1/2 push ups and repeat 7-8 times, 23 minute Tabata dumbbell and I end with swim specific resistance band exercises (total time 45-60 minutes). I'm in pretty good shape, I did a triathlon yesterday.

I'm thinking of doing a spartan race and they specifically say you should be able to do a pull up. So, any pointers in general would be appreciated.

Replies

• icrushit
    icrushit Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Slow negatives can help, as can horizontal rows which tend to work many of the same muscles as pullups. Dips apparently have a very strong lat component like pullups too, even stronger actually according to some.

The pullup and row progressions from the bodyweight strength programme I do myself I'll include below, but find progress in pullups the slowest of all my movements. Weight will be an element, and I definitely find things easier now that I'm only somewhere between 5 & 10lbs above a weight that would be optimal for my current build. You may need to lose more weight, but in the meantime you can work through the progressions.

One thing I found myself, was there's a mindset involved, as I would try do a pullup most days just out of curiousity to see how far I would get, which would usually be no more than a couple of inches. Then one day I decided to just pull as hard as I could, and keep pulling, and found I was actually pulling myself up! Once you are anywhere near a full pullup, I would say to try do one whenever you can, and 'grease-the-groove'. Your body should tell you when is a good time to try, and when is a good time to leave it, as personally I found and find pullups very hard on the system in terms of recovery.

http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/pull-up-progression.html

http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/horizontal-pulls-progression.html
  • PJR1985
    PJR1985 Posts: 14
    Options
    Depending on what equipment you have available and where you are working out maybe look into the assistance bands. I workout at home and have one I use and it's the only thing that helped me progress.
    I use this one and I like that as I progress I can pull off bands to work towards bodyweight. https://www.perfectonline.com/product/pullupassist

Also worth remembering is that even if you can't complete a full pull up even contracting the muscles as far as you can and hanging there is still going to help you.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    A solid progression will help. I wouldn’t start with negatives though. Many gyms have an assisted pull up machine (it has a weight levered pad that helps push you up).

Short of that, I’d find a smith machine and with the bar just higher than you can reach from your knees, do pull ups and use your legs to help just enough that you can complete the set.

Or, if your gym has bands, you can then use the bands on the pull up bar. After you master one band, get a thinner one for the next go. Keep your body straight so you’re doing the work and not bouncing (kipping).

Once you can do a single pull up unassisted, then you may want to use negatives to improve. The muscles will be trained and should be able to handle a negatives workout from time to time (not every time).

And yes, every pound you lose is one less you have to pull.
  • Drewlssix
    Drewlssix Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    What everyone else has said plus I think if you can crush the pull-up barrier and work up to muscle ups you will be ahead of the game come challenge time. For what it's worth even at my strongest when I could put 300+ pounds over my head I still couldn't pull my then 230lb body off the ground, it's just a matter of doing the movements you want to do til you reach your goal.
  • Holly92154
    Holly92154 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Drewlssix wrote: »
    For what it's worth even at my strongest when I could put 300+ pounds over my head I still couldn't pull my then 230lb body off the ground, it's just a matter of doing the movements you want to do til you reach your goal.

That made me feel a whole lot better. Thank you!

I still have 30 ish pounds to lose so I'm sure that will help.

I don't workout in a gym so an assistance machine is out of the question but bands for an in home bar are now on my shopping list :)

Thanks!!!

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Do assisted pull ups if you can and work on decreasing the assistance (or resistance of bands). Dead hangs help with grip strength. Also do slow negatives (jump up and then slowly lower yourself down). I'm 5'8 and 188, been working on those for a bit now gearing up for Spartan season. Still can't do the pull up. But I'm determined!

Also - you don't HAVE to be able to do a pull up to do a Spartan. I earned a trifecta last year. I just had to do burpees a lot ;) I strongly recommend signing up for one even if you can't do a pull up. Definitely works towards doing one, it'll make obstacles more fun. But you can easily find a boost over walls and well...for the rope climb, you'll just have to do burpees if you can't do it! You will probably love the race and use your next race as motivation to work harder on the pull ups.

Good Luck!
  • Holly92154
    Options
    I really and I do mean REALLY a want to do the next one. I think with everything else going on it might be a bit much (tri training and 1/2 marathon training). Plus, the next Spartan is in two weeks so not a lot of time to prepare. I'm thinking if I start incorporating pull ups into my routine now I'll be ready for the next one in a few months. :)
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Which Spartan races are you talking about? It really does make a difference lol.

I did a sprint level TRI last June and a Spartan Sprint two weeks later. Just did some strength training along with my TRI workouts. Both events knocked me on my @$$ because I wasn't expecting them to both be on legit mountains. Poor planning, I know...I learned my lesson. If you are doing serious tri and 1/2 marathon training you will definitely be able to finish a Spartan.

If money or over training is an issue def hold off. But if they aren't, go for it. I promise you won't regret it! PM if you want to chat more about them :)
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I weigh approximately the same as you and I can do pull ups. However, it took me a year to get there. I also lost 10% body fat but stayed the same weight. In that year, I worked on pull ups 3-5x per week with negatives, bands, jumping pull ups, inverted rows, barbell rows, scap retractions, dumbbell rows, lat pull downs, seated pulley rows, and a TON of core work.

I got a 315 deadlift before I got a pull up.

The only thing that finally got me a pull up was just hanging on the bar every day and trying to pull up another millimeter until eventually all these muscles I'd been working engaged. That was in October. I still work on them the same amount but am only up to two consecutive most days; once I did three. But, I usually do a total of about 10 dead hang pull ups most days I work out.

The assisted pull up machine was a joke. I would start with bands or negatives.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Practice, practice, practice. I started with negative pull-ups and chin-ups, then I incorporated a band, then moved to a lighter band, then finally could do chin-ups unassisted, then finally a pull-up unassisted. It took about 8 months. In my case it happened right at the end of my bulk at my highest weight too.

For reference, my lifts (deadlift, OHP, bench etc) are pretty terrible, so clearly they are not related.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    The way I start my clients off is to do inverted pull ups (or horizontal pullups), then progress them to standing on a step or box step, then slightly jumping up to help with the pullup and coming down slower, to eventually doing a pullup without jumping. But as mentioned, to get good that them, you actually have to do them. IMO, pullups are a "real" way to help test your strength. Many people can squat and bench press press a lot of weight, but even some of the strongest guys in the gym have trouble doing just 3 pull ups.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Most people seem to find chin ups easier than pull ups although occasionally you'll find someone who is the opposite. The pull up falls heavy on the lats. There are some good suggestions on here. If you're lifting at all you might add the bent over row to your routine as well.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The only way to get better at pull-ups is to do pull-ups, is what I've heard. I bought "Serious Steel" brand pull up assistance bands, which come with different levels of assistance. The idea is that you transition down to lower assistance levels the stronger you get. Here's their table:

51sv5cLb1QL.jpg

I'm 149 lbs (recently.. was 160 when we bought the bands), I can do zero unassisted pull-ups, so I have a level 4 band. I am about to start doing multiple sets with it. Then I think I'll buy the level 3 band and see how I do with it.

Edit: I just realized how much this sounds like an ad. My husband bought these bands off of amazon and I quite like them, but any band will do, just look at the manufacturer's chart to make sure you have the right one. We bought a level 1 band because we didn't read the chart and were like, "herp-a-derp, I'm new so I should start with level 1." Level 1 is the least resistance. Oops.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Happened across this article today, thought I’d share it: http://www.boxlifemagazine.com/training/conquering-your-first-strict-pull-up
  • Holly92154
    Options
    Happened across this article today, thought I’d share it: http://www.boxlifemagazine.com/training/conquering-your-first-strict-pull-up

Thank you :)
  • jalarson23
    jalarson23 Posts: 62 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    iloseityes wrote: »
    ...Once you are anywhere near a full pullup, I would say to try do one whenever you can, and 'grease-the-groove'...

Back in my military days, we had pull up bars near every workplace and they always said that each day, throughout the day, you should do a few pullups so that you can improve your count when you do your fitness test. I never did any pullups throughout the day, but others did and they were able to do more for their physical fitness tests. This is good advice.

• Holly92154
    Options
    Haha thanks. Right now I'm just hanging onto the bar. It took me a looong time to master a push up and I imagine it will take just as long, if not longer to do a pull up. I ordered bands on Amazon but the package has been delayed due to weather.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    When I 1st started working out I couldn't pull my 250lb big *kitten* up over that bar to save my life. Then I met P90X. The modifier used bands. I threw my resistance band over my bar and got down on 1 knee and put chest on the other knee. I simulated a pullup and pulled for set of 25 reps. In the matter of 2 months I was doing pullups. I also found an app call the 50 pullups app. That got me to 27 wide front and 35 chin ups. (can't hit those numbers now but can still do a good amount to make a difference. Message me if you'd like more info.
    Good Luck.
  • starlite_79
    starlite_79 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Getting strong enough to do a pull-up is one of my goals for this year. I found this article on Pullups for Total Beginners and I think this is the method I will use to get there: http://scoobysworkshop.com/pullups-for-total-beginners/