gaining weight

Options
I had brain surgery back in September and lots lots of weight. On chemotherapy and trying to gain itall back. While keeping my body moving.

Replies

• lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    move less, eat more?
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Can your doctor refer you to a dietician. Obviously it's a question of energy balance - eating more calories than you expend but with cancer, I'm unsure if you need to go lower on protein or what the nutritional requirements would be.

If there's no restrictions then just go for calorie dense food (those evil empty calories =D) if appetite is your issue.

Good luck with your treatment.
  • kdchenxi
    kdchenxi Posts: 108
    Options
    I might try eating a lot of foods high in calories, healthy fats, and oils. Like avacados and nuts. Pistachios are great because they're super yummy and ridiculously high in calories. Any nuts would be good really. And they won't feel too heavy if your appetite is shot from the chemo. Good luck and speedy recovery!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    3laine75 wrote: »
    Can your doctor refer you to a dietician. Obviously it's a question of energy balance - eating more calories than you expend but with cancer, I'm unsure if you need to go lower on protein or what the nutritional requirements would be.

If there's no restrictions then just go for calorie dense food (those evil empty calories =D) if appetite is your issue.

Good luck with your treatment.

This. And I'm not sure I'd recommend moving less. Double check with your doctor about any exercise. Cutting back on exercise can help you gain weight since you'd be burning fewer calories, but exercise might help your overall health as well. I'd see what your doctor recommends.
  • brainwarrior2014
    Options
    Thing is I have to move alot im on chemo and can't be laying and sitting alit cause blood clot and all. But I am eatting alot mainly high fat foods lol
  • brainwarrior2014
    Options
    And im gonna see a nutritionist soon at my hospita. :) thank you everyone sorry for late response
  • letsgain01
    letsgain01 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you're going to see a nutritionist and I hope your health prevails. Positive thoughts your way
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    when I was on chemo they told me to eat the foods that I liked and try to make sure that they were high calorie so they were all about ice cream, cookies, bagels, pasta, etc.

The one caveat was to be careful and make sure that I did not eat said foods when after treatment when I was feeling nauseous, because if I got sick then I would associate it with said food and then not want to eat it because it mad me "sick"….

good luck to you in your treatment….it is not an easy process but stay positive!!
  • johnsonGA15
    Options
    MrM27 is right, though as others have mentioned eat stuff high in fats and calories. You can try healthy stuff that's somewhat high in calories (I guess that's a contradiction in a way =P) like breaded eggplant.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    MrM27 is right, though as others have mentioned eat stuff high in fats and calories. You can try healthy stuff that's somewhat high in calories (I guess that's a contradiction in a way =P) like breaded eggplant.

Why is breaded eggplant healthy?
  • brainwarrior2014
    Options
    K thank you been doing that guess take time
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Are you done with treatments?

If no, eat as much as you possible can to keep your weight energy up.

If your done with treatments, I would recommend eating 300-500 cals daily over your TDEE and gain it slowly (.5-1lb wkly) and ask your surgeon(s) as well as oncologist what they advice for as any exercise that you may wish to do to so you don't gain all fat.

I'm a late stage survivor and run a background 1 on 1 support system. I have a couple friends here that have brain cancer if you would like to talk to them about how they are coping, PM me. I'm available 24/7 if you need anything or just want to chat :).

• brainwarrior2014
    Options
    Thank you I am on treatment still. Going for my 3rd March 30. I go for year. I am eating much as I can along with healthy like fruit. I'm doing great with coping with it. Just gaining is though know I'll get it back takes time. Did gain two
  • brainwarrior2014
    Options
    Two pounds that is
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Two pounds that is
    Two thumbs up !!