Eggs- good or bad?

Options
I'm currently trying a low-carb diet and am struggling with my macro nutrients.
I don't seem to be eating enough protein and so in a bid to increase this I have been eating a lot of eggs (plus I just really love eggs).

I've been having about 4 a day, but I have just been informed that eggs are bad for cholesterol and I am now worried about my increased risk of health problems due to this.
How many eggs would you recommend is a healthy amount per day/per week?!

Replies

• pcrucifer
    pcrucifer Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Several studies have shown that a diet high in eggs does not increase the risk of heart disease. Somehow the cholesterol in eggs does not seen as bad. And new studies are showing that simple carbs are bad for the heart. In my book, eggs are good, donuts and candy bars are bad.
  • eeelizabeth2012
    eeelizabeth2012 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me that having high cholesterol and eating eggs are not correlated because it is a different type of cholesterol. I would speak with a dietitian or nutritionist if you have health concerns.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    You might want to read these other posts that were posted within the last 24 hours, also in Food and Nutrition.
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103540/eggs-vs-egg-whites
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103497/whats-the-deal-with-boiled-eggs
  • cassie858
    cassie858 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Eggs contain good cholesterol, so I wouldn't worry too much. Just eat in moderation, too many eggs can cause constipation / bloating, and nothing is good in excessive amounts.

There are also far more options than eggs for boosting protein, lean meats like chicken and turkey, fish, seafood, nuts, peanut butter, kidney beans, cottage cheese, green vegetables, edamame beans, quinoa.. and of course protein shakes and bars too.
  • millinkle
    millinkle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody, this has put my mind at ease!!! Thank you for the tips on how to increase protein too, I don't tend to eat a lot of meat but will start trying to incorporate chicken into my meals.
  • AbbieBeckett
    AbbieBeckett Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You could try eating quorn if you don't eat a lot of meat, it's high protein and low sat. fat. But then again I don't know how you feel about meat substitutes.

Good luck :)

Ps. mmmm, eggs.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 or 3 whole eggs a day and I've never had an issue with having high cholesterol, ymmv.
  • tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    As far as I'm concerned, two eggs in a big scramble with veggies, cheese and an English muffin in the morning keep me going for so long that I'm able to eat a late lunch. That keeps me from getting hungry in late afternoons, so I don't snack before dinner. And the later we eat dinner (6:30-7), the less likely I am to eat before bedtime.

I really love yogurt and fruit in the mornings, but it just doesn't have the staying power for me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    it's fine. I eat upwards of 10 eggs a day and I have excellent cholesterol (I know- I just had blood work done). Given that I'm cutting- I now do 2-3 eggs with 2-3 egg whites to save myself some calories- but normally I'd just do 5-6 eggs with sauced veggies- I call it "eggs with *kitten*" because- that's pretty much what it is.

Outside of an existing cholesterol condition- the dietary kind you consume doesn't impact you're arteries the way naysayers seem to imply.

Eat all the eggs.
    Enjoy.
  • peter56765
    peter56765 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Eggs are fine. The cholesterol in them does not readily become cholesterol in your arteries. The very best thing you can do for your heart and your overall health is to not be overweight.

• eveedance
    eveedance Posts: 77
    Options
    Good
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol has been found to be benign and does not worsen your blood cholesterol. There is no reason to worry about eating it.
  • MiltonAFC
    MiltonAFC Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I eat four whole eggs with two egg whites everyday.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Dietary cholesterol is neither good or bad folks, it's all just cholesterol whether from an egg, milk or meat etc.....That is where the confusion began many moons ago. Lets not perpetuate it anymore.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Eggs are awesome!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Eggs are one of the cheapest, most complete ways to get nutrition there is. I bought the now-out-of-print (but readily available used on Amazon) cookbook "The Good Egg" and seriously feed my family of 5 (including 1 vegetarian teenager, an added benefit to eggs!) 4-5 dozen per week!

Eggs=goooood.

Plus my kids do 4H poultry. So I even get most of my eggs from coddled and loved backyard hens!