Ketogenic Diet

Options
I have a general question. I may have to go on the Ketogenic Diet for my epilepsy. Has anyone ever done that? If so, any advice?

Replies

• Cardio4Cupcakes
    Cardio4Cupcakes Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Keto diets are actually great for epilepsy. Did you doctor recommend it?
  • LucasMeyer
    LucasMeyer Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for a little more than 30 days. Things I learned:

1) When consuming carbs, prioritize fiber. I use a bran toast called GG Scandinavian Bread that is low carb and has a lot of fiber. I eat it with dollops of mayo or cream cheese - more spread than toast. It tastes like cardboard with dollops of mayo or cream cheese.

2) Find what fat you like: mayo, cream, butter, olive oil, etc. This is where most of your calories are coming from.

3) Experiment with fatty sauces, like garlic butter, etc. You'll be tired of eating plain meat soon enough.

4) There are two books - Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Diet that have useful recipes for very low carb food when you get tired of eating olive oil by the spoon

5) Some people find the first week or two very painful, some do not. Regardless, once you get to it you cruise - you don't feel tired or hungry as much, it is kinda weird.

6) It works and that matters a lot
  • chandnir
    chandnir Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been on this since last year. I used the books on Low Carb Living by Stephen Phinney & Jeff Volek. All i can say is that it really works. I feel very healthy and it is of enormous benefit to my other training

As mentioned, you may find this difficult at first. The body craves carbs & sugar and your mood is affected. It takes about 4-6 weeks for your body to adapt to a Low Carb diet
  • squirrlt
    squirrlt Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My doctor recommended it for migraines. I actually take epilepsy meds for my migraines too, so there may be a similar interaction there. Anyway, the diet eliminated the migraines almost immediately, and I had a nice side effect of losing weight quickly without hunger. It's HARD to eat that much fat/protein.

I ate eggs, seafood, whole dairy (baby bels ended up being a staple), veggies (lotta guacamole-wait, is avocado a fruit??), some meat (less than you'd think), nuts, seeds, and a small amount fruit. I felt like I was incorporating mayo or coconut oil into everything. I was still able to eat a very small amount of dark chocolate (yay!). I think there was enough fat and fiber in it to avoid spiking. I did not use artificial sweeteners of any kind or eat any processed special low carb/atkins things, since I read those can pop some people out of ketosis and I was trying to maximize nutrients since my food selections were so limited. Some people don't have problems with those, but I didn't really think they were worth the chance, they didn't look appetizing anyway.

I used the urine test strips to check if I was in ketosis or not. Some people say you have to use a blood analyzer but my doctor said the urine test strips were good enough so I went with it.

I did go through a cranky period and had some muscle cramping early on that was alleviated with a mineral/electrolyte supplement. After that period (I believe it's called the "keto flu") I felt great! I had a lot of energy and was able to work out, felt amazing. I actually had a lot more endurance. I'd say it took about 2 days to get into ketosis and about a week or two to start feeling really good. I have much more endurance during workouts than ever before and I didn't have energy slumps during the day. I could also go hours without eating, I wasn't a big deal to skip a meal if I was busy. There were no crashes.

This website was helpful for figuring out my macros and set my MFP goals accordingly.
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Mark's Daily Apple and Paleo websites are good resources for finding some keto-friendly alternatives to your favorite recipes. Be warned, they are not all keto, there's a lot of inherently low carb/high fat stuff in their diets and they are pretty creative with their recipe substitutions. There's a group on here called Reddit/Keto or something (or the reddit site itself) that's a good resource for all this stuff too.

I speak in the past tense because I haven't been very compliant lately. I pushed the limits to see how many carbs I could tolerate before I went out of ketosis (109 net - much higher than I thought, actually!), and when I did, the migraines came back right away :/ Well, I learned. This diet is certainly a commitment but offers great symptom relief. I am working my carbs back down again.
  • lauren4630
    Options
    Thank you all so much! I'm not so scared anymore lol
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm back and forth LC/keto for 15 years. No bad side effects, aside from too much coconut oil in one day - don't do that. You don't have to go through keto flu. It only happens if your electrolytes and water intake are too low. Make sure you're getting enough salt, magnesium, and potassium (hard to track on MFP, because it's not always listed on food labels). Get some No-Salt and keep some chicken broth or bone broth handy. If you think you're low, use the no-salt. If you start to feel achy or sick, drink a cup of broth. If you can use artificial sweeteners, MIO or some crystal light variations added to your water can help, too.

ETA: Also, if you're experiencing insomnia, magnesium helps with that. A lot of people use a magnesium citrate supplement at bedtime to get past that stage if they have it.