Planning on Gaining 1 Pound on Vacation Advice Please

Options
Hi!

I have a beach vacation coming up in 2 months and am considering switching Myfitnesspal from lose 1 1/2 pounds per week to gain 1 pound per week. This program has given me so much confidence that I believe I can do this and then switch back to the rate of losing 1 1/2 pounds per week after my vacation. (I've switched it several times to adjust my loss rate. I've never set it to gain though). My only fear is that I am being naive, that I will go off track and keep gaining.

My idea of the perfect vacation is eat, drink, lay down in the sun, swim, lay down, eat and drink again, etc. (Though this time I will enjoy walking 3 to 5 miles every day and hitting the gym once or twice)

I don't mind that it will take me a couple of extra weeks to reach my goal weight- I've learned to be patient with the weight loss.

I plan to record every little thing as usual, and obey the new calorie limit in the ap.

I think that not changing the goal and then going over the calorie limit is a real risk, perhaps likely.

So- anyone think this will or will not work? Good idea? Bad idea?

Thanks!

Replies

• Lightjulesloves2run
    Lightjulesloves2run Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Only you know what's best! U know ur dedication and all that comes with it! It's not a race...and it looks like u see that. Enjoy ur vacation!
  • flyawaybyebye
    flyawaybyebye Posts: 250
    Options
    I think it could work. But I also think you have a really great opportunity here to redefine what an "ideal" vacation is for you. Why not plan to stick to your diet and make the vacation about something other than food/beverages? I think the bigger danger with this plan is that the vacation you take down the road, when you've reached your goal weight, will be all about the food/drink, too, and you won't be in the habit of your WL plan at that point, so what you gain will be more likely to stick around. Just my $0.02! There is soooo much out there to enjoy - even really yummy, low-cal foods that don't have to sabotage your diet!
  • misrical
    misrical Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    considering you have the will power to already have dropped 60 lbs....I would say enjoy your vacation...dont go to crazy...and pick back up full tilt when you get back.
    I plan on doing hte same in July.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Why not set it to maintenance? That way you won't gain and be offset any further, but you'll still have a few additional calories to work with :)
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i actually think that this is a great idea for someone with the right mentality and patience - something that it clearly sounds to me like you have!
    being in the red in cals can be really demoralising and make you think 'to hell with this, i'll just all out binge'. setting yourself a goal that'll let you really indulge but stay in control is pretty sensible, and atleast you'll be able to forcast and be able to accept the probable weight gains.
    just make sure you're drinking enough water if you're going somewhere hot, exercising, drinking alcohol etc.
    best of luck and have a great holiday!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan to me - never thought about it that way......I went on a 5 week holiday to Africa over Xmas - visiting family.... I tried to stick as close to my plan on the days I could, and then just made the best choices on the days I could not..... And upped the exercise - dragged the family on walks - made time for the gym - some serious laps in the pool....
    But I still drank beer and wine (bit more moderation) and ate desert other treats (chocolate)...

After 5 weeks I came home and had lost 2kg - went straight back into my normal routine - and lost 5kg in January.....

I agree with you, and that is my attitude when I take a mini break - weightloss slows a bit.....and then get back on the wagon - in the end of the day - these are the choices we have to make for the rest of our lives...
  • lobster888
    lobster888 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with both annabelle and thekit. Setting to maintenance should give you some extra calorie room without completly undoing anything. Also you may be inclined to still make healthy choice and maybe add in a walk on the beach, beach volley ball, swimming etc.

That is what I am doing on my vacation - switching from losing to maintaning and trying to get in some exercise when I can. I still plan on enjoying myself to the fullest!!!! (just in a different way than the past)
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Ok. I just went to Las Vegas for my honeymoon, like not even 2 weeks ago. I was there for 1 week. I did not log any food (it was impossible to find things in the database and we were moving too fast the whole week). I said to myself, "I will probably gain at least 2 to 5 pounds this week". It's not that I was choosing awful foods... it's just that I was eating at buffets or drinking here and there (I rarely ever drink in "real life"). That being said, I enjoyed myself, we walked a lot on the strip and I didn't give my weight another thought while we were there.

When I returned home and I woke up the next morning, I got on the scale. It said I had gained 4 lbs. At first, I was a little freaked out. Then I thought about it and said, "No way. I didn't eat THAT much". So I waited a couple of days, went back to my healthy eating routine and lo and behold, my weight adjusted back to the weight that I was when I left +1 lb! I was ecstatic! I now am in maintenance because I like that I can lose a couple more lbs and not be under my goal, and I couldn't be happier.

If you're going to be exercising throughout your trip, don't worry about the weight loss. Make decent decisions, enjoy yourself. If I can eat what I ate and not gain more than a pound, then you can definitely do it. You are the only one who knows you, so use common sense of course. :)

Good luck!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt set it to gain. Just set it to maintain. If you go over you go over (set it to gain one pound just to get a figure of what you dont want to go over at all, but leave it set to just maintain), but with walking, and swimming, and maybe even going to the gym while your there, I think you will do just fine. If you choose slightly lower calorie foods for your meals, there is no reason to not eat or drink on a vacation, or even in your day to day life. Today Ive eaten chinese take out and subway. Will I loose tomorrow still? Yes. Did I go out drinking last night and did I go out to dinner? Yes. Did I loose weight today, yes, nearly a whole pound over night, with no excercise involved.

Drink some extra water while your drinking especially. And try to choose drinks, when possible, that r better for you.. Instead of some mixed drink thats full of sugars and liquers and etc etc go for a whiskey cran, or vodka cran, a screwdriver, etc. You could choose light beers instead of full calorie. Straight shots r lowest cal but the enjoyment and sitting and enjoying a drink is gone with a shot.

Instead of having some huge steak with loaded mashed potatoes, etc at a resturant, look for seafood options, or chicken options, and instead of mashed taters that theyve prob made with cream and loads of butter, go for a baked potatoe with no butter (i like all the potassium and how filling they are, and if my meat has sauce i can dip in the sauce for extra flavor if i wanted, or use a hot sauce that might already be on my table, and the pepper, no salt). Could also go for salads with no croutons and fat free dressing, and if theres no fat free thats fine, just dip your fork in the dressing thats on the side with each bite, by the end u only end up using a teaspoon of dressing instead of gobs.

Last week for mothers day I went to a fancy resturant 2 days in a row. One day i ordered rosemary pork loin chips with au gratin potatoes and brocolli; it had also came with a salad that i dipped my fork in the dressing. The potatoes were higher calorie because they were loaded, but i had saved the calories for the special dinner so it was ok. I drank tons of water with the meal.
    The next day i went to a different resturant--a steak resturant--steak is my favorite, but, i ordered a halibut fillet stuffed with crab and shrimp that was mixed with some cheese, and i told them to go light on the cheese. So amazingly delishous!!! I had a baked potatoe on the side and again, tons of water. It came with a small green salad and i just dipped my fork in the dressing.

Enjoy your vacation, but just because your there doesnt mean your should just eat whatever you want and who cares--you can still really enjoy yourself while still being healthy!! I rarely ever go over my calories and I go out to resturants at least 2x a week, lately more like 3 or 4x a week, and i never gain weight.

PS--i have mine set to loose 2lbs a week (and i never go over--or if i do just by a few calories, and i hardly excercise), and i still loose my weight with going out to eat alot... just make good choices, ull do fine.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    id just take a break from calorie counting for your holiday. Dont go mental and eat like crazy, but dont worry too much about logging your calories, then just do MFP when you get home
  • annebuta
    annebuta Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree with suzy - it is vacation, after all. Have a few drinks, make some good food choices, swim a lot, walk the beach, do some activities (where are you going - can you snorkle? hike?) ...relax, have fun, and drink water in between real drinks. I don't know about you, but when I'm somewhere warm I tend to eat more fruit and lighter food anyway....you have done such an amazing job, you deserve to have fun without logging every little morsel. Not to say go crazy and eat everything in site, and I think other's advice is good (about setting to maintenance) ....BUT if it were me, I'd have fun in the sun and put away the MFP til I get home....
  • mjheinrich
    mjheinrich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Interesting that I found this thread today. I'm going on an Alaska cruise (all inclusive with the alcohol paid for also) for one week followed by a land package of about 5 days so I've been debating what the best strategy for me will be. I'm on maintenance right now but know that I don't want to ruin a vacation by totally sticking to my maintenance calories. I'll try to take some of these suggestions. I know I won't log (computer time will be costly) but if I end up gaining 2 lbs over those 2 weeks, it will be OK. I'll try to make some smart choices and keep up some exercise.

I also have found that once back home, even though the scale might be higher initially it usually is from the airplane travel or other factors and that if you get RIGHT BACK on your calories level and start logging again, that the gained weight will come off quicker than normal.

Good luck!