diet only

Options
I just had surgery and will not be able to do heavy lifting and exercise for 4 to 6 weeks. Has anyone had any luck losing weight just by calorie count alone?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    absolutely.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Yes. When I first started watching calories, I didn't have time to go to the gym because of conflicting schedules and the gym had limited hours. I still lost weight as long as I really watched my calories. I wouldn't suggest going too low, because your body needs the nutrients to heal properly. Best of luck to you!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Losing weight is about 90% because of food intake and 10% because of exercise. Eat a healthy, low calorie, clean diet and you'll lose weight, no doubt.
  • Jillong
    Jillong Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    My son's partner has lost 4 stone with diet alone, as she is in a wheelchair. You can do anything, if you plan it sufficiently. Exercise is to be enjoyed, if possible, but is not mandatory to weight loss. It took Amy nearly 12 months to lose this weight.
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Definitely! I have been too busy with work and school lately and have still lost weight. It is a bit harder as I really have to be conscious of what I eat, but it is definitely possible.
  • Jerri68
    Jerri68 Posts: 14
    Options
    I have only dieted. I do not have time to exercise or go to the gym. The only exercise for me right now is being on the softball field with my daughter at practice. Its working for me great so far right now. I started my diet 2/28 and already down 27.6 pounds just from eating right and drinking TONS of water.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. Losing weight is about 90% because of food intake and 10% because of exercise. Eat a healthy, low calorie, clean diet and you'll lose weight, no doubt.

This isn't true for everyone. For me it's the opposite, it's 90% exercise and 10% diet. I have an extremely healthy diet and can't lose without going to the gym. Everyone is different and some people need different approaches to their weight loss.
  • lulutm
    lulutm Posts: 57
    Options
    In the words of my trainer: "Weight loss is 90% intake and 10% muscle ache."
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi I must admit I am no fan of the gym and havn't been at all this year I started MFP logging in January the only real regular excersise I do is walking (see no point in paying for treadmill when mother nature provides gorgous scenery for free) using only walking and an occasional bit of additional excersise have managed to lose 23lbs so far.
    I am a big believer in the 90% diet 10% excersise.
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    A calorie deficit is the ONLY way to lose weight, so you're in luck!
  • ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    Yep, lost all of my 22 pounds with only a handful of excercise over 3 months.