Losing weight, but looking the same!!

Options
Hi everyone! I've lost nearly half a stone from what I originally was, but I seem to look exactly the same and my clothes are only slightly looser?! I'm only 5ft 2 so I would have thought that half a stone would make a lot of difference, but my stomach and muffin top are still exactly the same :-( I'm doing pilates to tone up, and I walk a lot for aerobic exercise. Anyone with a similar problem have any suggestions?? xx

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,119 Member
    Options
    For those of us who are non-metric, (sorry) how much is a stone?

To answer your question, keep doing what you are doing since it is working, and wait - it will show - when you least expect it! Hang in there.
  • TheKitsune6
    TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
    Options
    Are you taking pictures and measurements? Those would also help you keep track of any loss. You probably just don't see it because you are so used to it
  • MrsBrit2007
    MrsBrit2007 Posts: 161
    Options
    I'm having a similar problem. :( I've lost about 6lbs so far and 7.5 inches overall, but my clothes are fitting the exact same. (Well, a little looser in the thigh area, but the muffin top is the same.) I've been doing a lot of walking and Zumba, and I hope to see results soon.
    I don't have any suggestions, I just wanted you to know that you're not alone! :)
  • sunnny218
    sunnny218 Posts: 16
    Options
    Well I dont know what a stone is but we are the same height. I am down 6 lbs and dont look much different either. Im thinking I may need to do light weights to tone up a bit to see real results.
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. I'm about the same height and have lost a decent amount. My arms and legs are starting to look almost freakishly skinny to me, while my stomach wants to stay fat. I guess that's just the last place to lose. Hang in there.
  • heather1945
    heather1945 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Be patient.....Your shape will change, be it gradually. Just keep on as you are.....and it will happen.....I had to loose a stone before there was any noticeable difference. :-}
  • JennMuc
    JennMuc Posts: 70
    Options
    I had to look it up, but a stone is about 14 lbs, so half a stone is 7 ;)
  • chantel111184
    chantel111184 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    A stone is 14lbs so half would be 7lbs. I have lost 13lbs since starting my weight loss journey and i don't see or feel any difference in my clothes.
  • jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I didn't really notice a difference until I'd lost about a stone and a half (21lbs for our American friends!) and it was only once I was about 30 - 35lbs down that people started commenting. Given you look much smaller than I was, I'd probably halve that...
  • Fizzzz
    Fizzzz Posts: 4
    Options
    Yep - things will change, but you don't always see it straight away - others may see it, but you won't...but you will :)

A stone is not a metric measurement - just what we use in the UK (14 lbs to a stone)

Keep up the good work though.... :)
  • AlyssaDMurphy
    Options
    I've lost 13 pounds and I'm having the same issue. I think toning exercises help, but you also have to consider that even if you don't see yourself shrinking other people do. Before and after pics are awesome ways to keep track. The change is so subtle that sometimes it is hard to see it when it is you doing the losing.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I feel i look the same in my stomach after 26pounds (no idea what a stone is), but my clothes are looser, but not at the waist; my bottom stomach bulge has gotten smaller but my waist hasnt. I havent noticed bras or shirts fitting differently but I can notice ive lost some fat in my neck region because i am starting to feel the bones at the base of my neck. You dont always loose in exactly the places ud like to loose the most first... some people loose their chest first and loose their stomach last. I can also see my leg muscles are really tone now in my calves, and i cant really tell too much, but i kinda noticed this morning my back looked thinner but wasnt sure... If you dont have alot to loose, u wont notice it as easily either.
  • mzjandiace
    mzjandiace Posts: 162
    Options
    I've lost 9lbs, and I don't see it but, my bra's aren't fitting (hubby not happy about that loss), my joints don't hurt and my spirit is uplifted so I know something is changing in my body.
    Hold your head up sista! A CHANGE is comin'
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I didn't see a difference till 20 pounds just hang in there you might not see it yet but it's happening!
  • Jenscan
    Jenscan Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I don't see it either; I've lost 13 lbs and I'm 5'2". But other people are noticing. I think that it's just harder to see in ourselves.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    First off, we are our own worst critics and may not see the "new" us. Secondly, it takes a bit of a loss to really register. I remember several pots in the pass where the consensus was like 20 lbs. I know it took that much before people started to notice on me. Great job on your loss. Don't get discouraged. Track yourself with picture and measurements and you will get to the visible results.
  • Heatherbelle_87
    Heatherbelle_87 Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    You really arent alone. Ive lost 54 lbs and have only gone down one pant size, part of the reason is Im loosing just below my boobs (but above the hips/waist area where pants sit) AND I have a bell "flap" that I will admit hung down a bit, and as I loose this basically shrinks UP not IN so despite the fact I can SEE it getting smaller I'm not loosing sizes as quickly as some others who have round tummies that are flattening out
  • Jackee357
    Jackee357 Posts: 37
    Options
    I knw what you're going thru. I've lost 13lbs & really cnt see much of a difference but I do knw my clothes fit a little loser. I thought it would be a big change since Im 5'1. But hang in there cuz I am!!!!!!
  • emmacummin
    emmacummin Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone, your all amazing and SO encouraging! Jury what I needed to hear :-) Let's all hang on in there! And sorry for the stone confusion ... I'll talk about pounds from now on, promise!! Xx
  • KaizokuNoMaiku
    Options
    Also dont forget that your body decides on its own where to take of the fat reserves, its not like doing more abdominal workouts will make your belly get smaller ! Dont get discouraged keep it up, and like the others said keep taking pictures it is rly rly hard to see your own results in a mirror.