Scale not budging

Options
heatherhoman7
heatherhoman7 Posts: 15 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been working out and eating well for about 5 weeks now and my weight has not budged at all. I am 36, I do 20 minutes of Fitstar training a day plus 45-50 minutes doing intervals on the treadmill or the Elliptical 4 times a week. I have a fit bit and generally get in about 6,000 a day ( I have a desk job) MFP settings are to lose 1 pound a week and it's on the sedentary setting. I am usually under my calorie goal by at least 100 calories. And nothing! Any ideas?

Replies

• AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    OK - I'm going to ask you the 3 questions that usually get asked here?

Do you have a food scale?
    Are you weighing and measuring everything you eat?
    do you know what your correct deficit is for weight loss?
  • emilyesq
    emilyesq Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    How many calories is MFP telling you to eat per day? What is your current weight and height, and how much are you trying to lose?

More information is always useful around these parts.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    What they said up there. And can you open up your diary?
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    You have a goal of 10lbs? Set your calories to .5lbs/week and eat that. Your goal is too aggressive. Your body needs fuel. Trust me on this.
  • heatherhoman7
    Options
    yep I have a scale, yes I measure everything i eat and i go by the My Fitness pal calories for losing 1 pound a week and then I eat some of the calories that make while exercising but not all.If I didn't eat back at least some of the calories earned while exercising, my calorie intake would be too low.Right now without exercise it is 1,380 I generally burn 280 exercising which would only leave me with 1,100 calories a day which is way too low.Maybe I should switch to lightly active?
  • heatherhoman7
    Options
    I am 178 and 5'5 so a pound a week may be too aggressive?
  • heatherhoman7
    Options
    10 pounds is just my starting goal, I eventually want to get back to 160
  • malibu927
    Options
    I am 178 and 5'5 so a pound a week may be too aggressive?

Only if you're choosing to just lose 10-20. If your goal weight is below 160, then a pound is good for now, but the closer you get you'll want to switch it to half a pound a week.
  • heatherhoman7
    Options
    ok I am ok with that, because then I probably wont even eat all of exercise calories
  • heatherhoman7
    Options
    I def don't want to go lower than 160
  • emilyesq
    Options
    A pound a week should be fine for your current weight and your goal. After you get down to around 15 pounds left to lose, you could reevaluate and change it to .5 per week.

If you're okay with opening your diary, it would be easier for people to give you specific advice about what you may be doing right or wrong. If you really are weighing your food and exercising and making you're you're logging a deficit, then the scale WILL move. If you were previously quite sedentary and have just started exercising regularly, then water retention is to be expected. Your muscles are being worked harder than they're used to, and they're holding onto water to repair themselves. Make sure you're getting lots of liquid (preferably water), and be patient!

On a side note, you and I are the same height and had the same starting weight. I'm at 152lbs now, so I know you can do it too. :)
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    Yeah - if you could open your diary I think we can help you a little bit better
  • heatherhoman7
    Options
    ok its open the past two days have not been kind in regards to eating alot of good stuff, I have been so good and I just caved this week :/ its an ongoing process
  • heatherhoman7
    Options
    I am a stress eater and stress this week,,,,,,,ugh
  • adwilliams03
    adwilliams03 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    ok its open the past two days have not been kind in regards to eating alot of good stuff, I have been so good and I just caved this week :/ its an ongoing process

It's definitely an ongoing process, and stress makes everything harder. Hang in there, don't give up. Think of it as a marathon and not a sprint. You can do it!
  • emilyesq
    Options
    If your logging is accurate (meaning you didn't eat anything and not logged it in your diary), I see no problem with what you've eaten the last few days. You don't have to cut out "bad" food as long as you're staying under your calorie goal. A deficit is a deficit!
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    Options
    emilyesq wrote: »
    If your logging is accurate (meaning you didn't eat anything and not logged it in your diary), I see no problem with what you've eaten the last few days. You don't have to cut out "bad" food as long as you're staying under your calorie goal. A deficit is a deficit!

^^^^ I agree with @emilyesq‌

The only thing I can think of is maybe not eating back your exercise calories and see how you do. Maybe you're not burning as many calories as you think you are?

• malibu927
    edited March 2015
    Options
    The types of foods aren't an issue. You can have 1200 calories of McDonalds and lose weight (though obviously it isn't recommended).

The only suggestion I have is to start weighing everything. Measuring cups are not as accurate as we'd like-they only give the volume of what you're eating, and they can easily cause you to eat more than you believe. To know the true amount, the scale is going to be your best tool.
  • heatherhoman7
    Options
    Thanks everyone I really appreciate all the help :) I know its a long term goal and honestly im in it for the long haul.I DO have to say that I am feeling alot better since exercising so that alone is reason to not quit.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Your diary looks pretty good. The only thing I would say is to make sure you are measuring out everything:
    Peanut butter in grams
    Ice cream also in grams
    Tomatoes in grams
    Chicken in grams

Most of the items you eat should have a serving size on the package that says something like: Serving Size: 2 ounces (28 grams). If anything you eat has that on it, use the grams measurement on your scale instead of ounces.