Running my first half marathon tomorrow ... NERVOUS.

Options
So tomorrow I run the half-marathon I've been training for for 10 weeks, and I'm freaking out a little. Okay, a LOT. I've heard of pre-race jitters and hear that's normal. How about pre-race panic? I had a dream last night that I tripped going over the starting line and broke my leg. Mostly I guess I'm worried about letting myself down. I have a VERY loose goal as far as pace ... if I finish without embarrassing myself I'll be happy enough. But my last long run (12.25 miles) was so, so painful because of this new foot problem I've just found out I have (Morton's neuroma) and I had to stop twice and take my shoes off and massage the cramps out of my toes. I guess it's not the end of the world if I have to do that during the race?

Anyway, just looking for a little support because I feel like I'm psyching myself out. Mostly I should be proud that I'm even attempting this. A little over a year ago, I struggled with one mile. Trying to focus on things like that.

Replies

• fifibee007
    Options
    Go for it !! Have fun and enjoy feeling self righteous afterwards
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I've never run a half marathon and I really don't have any advice for you, but I just wanted to say congratulations. On everything.

On putting the time into your training, on making that commitment to yourself, and on trying something new. You are going to do fantastic, whether you have to stop and rub out a cramp or not. Be proud of yourself that you had the follow through to sign up at all and just go out and do your best. Even if you run 20 minute miles, you ran a freakin' half marathon; not everyone can say that.

Go get 'em, tiger! You got this!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    So your main priority is finishing, and if you need to stop and recover feeling in your toes to achieve that then do it.

I was anxious before my first HM, worried I'd burn out, not be able to finish etc. I had the same before my fist 5K and my first 10K.

You've done close enough to the distance already, if you haven't yet done the HM distance then you've got to within less than a Km of it.

All the best with it.
  • amandamoa17
    Options
    I've done 4 half marathons, and I totally understand how you feel!
    Before EVERY run I'll feel the pre race jitters. Stressed I can't finish it or feel lazy and end up being slower than my set time. Hahah, it's perfectly normal and trust me, you'll feel great once you start and finish the run! Just have fun seeing other people running alongside and they'll be your biggest motivators! :) You'll be running your 2nd one in no time ;)

Have fun and good luck!
  • jhbosche
    jhbosche Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! You said just what I needed to hear. Today I'm resting my feet and drinking gallons of water and indulging a little in the carbs. ;) The nerves are still there but I know I've done all I can do to prepare, so ready or not, it's almost go-time!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine. Worst thing is you take a few minutes to massage your feet.

Don't go out too fast, that adrenaline can get your in trouble in races.

Also, as cheesy as it sounds, if you start feeling too nervous while waiting at the start - force yourself to smile. Even laugh that how ridiculous it feels in that moment that you PAID to feel this way. It does wonders, mentally.
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    Enjoy every moment, and run your race. If you do need to stop just move to the side to take care of things. I seriously doubt you'll fall. But if you do? Get up and Run On!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you'll be fine. You've already almost ran the distance during training. Start slow or else you risk of blowing up during the latter part of the race. All the built up excitement tends to make you want to dart from the starting line. Try to avoid that. And don't drink too much at the aid stations. Unless you're used to it in training. Good luck!!