My name is Jimmy.

Options
If we sacrifice ourselves for others, we must remember to keep up our own maintanence. I met Heather in 1997. Long blonde hair with purple bangs. I would give my life to this woman. Almost 20 years later, we have endured more than anyone should experience. My wife heather has cystic fibrosis and I am her caregiver. There's a long, terrifying, yet inspirational story woven into the life of people with CF, their caregivers often blend into the background. That's our job and we don't mind. I feel that too often caregivers put themselves second and let their health go. We give so much from ourselves that it would seem we have no time left. I'll give you an example. When Heather came home after a month long coma, and another month and a half of recovery post transplant. I was alone to care for her. She had a feeding tube and tracheotomy, so she could not talk or eat by mouth. She had survived a massive stroke during the transplant, and many normal tasks were not possible for her. I spent my days hanging IV medicine and crushing 70+ pills a day with a mortar and pestle. Some nights when administering feedings, the tube would get clogged and I would spend two hours working to unclog it. I would wake at 6am and pass out after midnight. This was my life. I ate what was quick and a cold beer seemed great to help me sleep. My health was going right out from underneath and I didn't notice. A year later, an old spine injury arose and I had to have a cervical fusion. I recovered from that and kept on going. That was 2010. Well, here I am now. 100lbs heavier and fighting to recover and still be her caregiver. Running a household while working a full time job. She is my inspiration and I am hers. In December at a doctor appt., I weighed in at 283. Oh man! 5' 6" and 283 lbs. Damn. At one point in my life I was a surfer and a track star. In the Army I was a ground infantryman awarded an Army Commendation Medal. Now I'm a 35 year old in very poor shape. Physically and mentally. Time for change. Time to bear witness to life and bounce back. I have been working very hard. I'm down to 261 lbs as of this morning. It's very hard but I know I will do it.

Replies

• william00769
    Options
    Great job, keep it up!
  • perpetualsharon
    perpetualsharon Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    "In the Army I was a ground infantryman" - right there's you're work ethic, buddy! Keep up the good work!
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Wow, that must be very tough for you. What a good man you are. When you put someone's needs in front of yours, it makes it very easy to neglect your health and fitness. When my daughter was born she needed multiple eye surgeries. About 1 a month for the first two years. I really didn't care about myself at all, it wasn't about me. Now that is no explanation as to why she is now 20 and just in the past year I figured it out! I wish I had way sooner.
    You probably know this already, but one thing I realized, is you don't need to exercise to lose weight. I love exercise, good for mental health and it certainly helps you to look better when you do lose the weight but, it is not necessary.
    Let's face it, it's easy to say everyone should find time to exercise, but for some it is nearly impossible.
    How is your wife now?
  • jbaile07
    jbaile07 Posts: 7
    Options
    She's made leaps and bounds. Still struggles with some stuff because of the stroke. She's an amazing woman! I'm trying to change my life and help people as well. We want to share our story and be a "witness to fitness" for people in our position looking for a way.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    jbaile07 wrote: »
    She's made leaps and bounds. Still struggles with some stuff because of the stroke. She's an amazing woman! I'm trying to change my life and help people as well. We want to share our story and be a "witness to fitness" for people in our position looking for a way.

I'm so glad to hear that. You both will be awesome role models!