Eating too few calories VS eating right before bedtime?

Options
susanswan
susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
Well, now that I did both, I can ask the question! My poor planning and hectic schedule today got the best of me and I ate too few calories! I of course got to figure it out at 9:45 at night! So being almost 450 calories under, I ate some Ryvita whole grain rye crackers, some dried fruit, and grapes. I ate 328 calories and left 118 untouched. I probably should have had protein, but didn't think of the canned tuna until I was finished. I felt like a banana would have been too heavy, which is rediculous since I pretty much ate just sugar in fruit and grains.

Does anybody have a suggestion for this dilema next time? I generally don't like to leave more than 150 calories uneaten.

Thanks!

Replies

• CriticalX
    CriticalX Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    dont matter when u eat as long as u under calories
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Eating before bedtime doesn't really matter. You definitely don't want to go to bed hungry.

Hectic schedules are the worst, but do your best to space your calories out throughout the day, eating 5-6 smaller meals a day. If you are hungry right before bed, cottage cheese, sliced fruit, and walnuts is my fave (protein + carb + a little fat). I'm also a fan of plain fat-free Greek yogurt with sliced strawberries and vanilla protein powder. It's like eating cheesecake.

Those are my suggestions. Best of luck!
  • susanswan
    Options
    Thanks guys! I read the other post suggested, too. I'll admit I'm an old dog, but I can learn some new tricks! At least I don't get the urge to eat late, now I can do so if I need to without worrying! Thanks!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    also if you eat before bed it get your metabolism going again
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat before I go to bed, I will wake up in the middle of the night starving. Starving leads to BAD choices. So, I choose to eat before bed so I don't wake up and eat junk.

Not sure it really matters if you eat right before bed or not. I'm proof that you can do it and still lose weight, so I'm thinking it is a myth. Better to eat your calories right before bed than to go to bed without eating and wake up later starving.
  • purroxide
    purroxide Posts: 27
    Options
    "it's not about when you fill up, it's about how much fuel is in the tank"

;)
  • kimeister
    kimeister Posts: 212
    Options
    Just had this discussion with my personal trainer because I oddly don't get hungry until a couple of hours after workouts where I'm burning 500-600 calories. The PT says that it's so vital to eat exercise calories in order to lose weight that any idea of not eating after 7pm or 9pm or whatever is just out the window. In fact, he's so adamant on eating exercise cals that he even said that if I wake up at 3am to use the restroom I should think about grabbing a snack. Whatever it takes to get them in.
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If you are having to make yourself eat when you feel it's unnecessary, save those calories for a day when you might need/want them! Maybe you should look at having a weekly calorie goal rather than daily if your schedule is hectic and it's sometimes hard to eat as you would like to. Then you can treat yourself another day to make up for today's shortfall (so long as you are getting your nutrients).

I have heard that this no eating before bed thing is a mind trick because a lot of people snack heavily in the evenings, so it is meant to discourage them from taking on extra calories, and there is no actual proof that it slows weight loss.
  • susanswan
    Options
    Just had this discussion with my personal trainer because I oddly don't get hungry until a couple of hours after workouts where I'm burning 500-600 calories. The PT says that it's so vital to eat exercise calories in order to lose weight that any idea of not eating after 7pm or 9pm or whatever is just out the window. In fact, he's so adamant on eating exercise cals that he even said that if I wake up at 3am to use the restroom I should think about grabbing a snack. Whatever it takes to get them in.

I appreciate your relaying a "professional" opinion. Not even one person has replied that it is wrong! Amazing, I still hear "never eat within 3 hours of bedtime". But also have heard delaying eating more than (I forget the number of hours now!) will slow your metabolism! I was always concerned about hearing those two conflicting theories, but thanks to you all, I'll be sure to eat my calories before bedtime from now on if I need to! I think I'll even save a few for then. I just never wanted to get into the habit of looking to eat then as it would have likely been more calories, but I can plan for them. THANKS!
  • CriticalX
    CriticalX Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat before I go to bed, I will wake up in the middle of the night starving. Starving leads to BAD choices. So, I choose to eat before bed so I don't wake up and eat junk.

Not sure it really matters if you eat right before bed or not. I'm proof that you can do it and still lose weight, so I'm thinking it is a myth. Better to eat your calories right before bed than to go to bed without eating and wake up later starving.
    lol i cant think st8 at night. had a snickers bar at 4 am other night
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter when you eat, it's what you eat.

A lot of people *I* know who say "eating should stop 3 hours before bed-it worked for me" was because they were eating crap a hour before bed. Of course icecream, bag of chips, or anything else calorie laden before snoozing will go on the bum and thighs..

In the future, maybe have plain greek yogurt with some berries and or slivered almonds..

Cook up an egg and a piece of toast...

:)
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I try to have a small snack before bedtime. If I don't I wake up in the night and like others make bad choices. Cheese, granola bars seem to hold me over well. I try to plan my day so that I have enough calories left to snack. There have been days when I was under and had to eat at night to get them all in. If that's the case... I do peanut butter.

Successful thoughts your way!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I eat every night before bed. I have not trouble loosing. I eat balanced all day and I always have left over calories. I eat Popcorn, and a piece of fruit every night.
  • rusticstudio
    rusticstudio Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I, too, have that problem sometimes. My trainer suggested a protein shake, bar, or some other high protein snack if I need to eat so close to bedtime. I tend to avoid carbs, especially fruit, so close to bed because I already have a hard time getting to sleep and they will only add to the problem.

She said that bodybuilders often wake up a couple of times a night to have protein because they don't want to risk their bodies using up any of their muscle.

Patty
    =^..^=