First Day at the Gym!!!

Options
I'm looking to lose 30 pounds. Any advice to what I should start doing as far as cardio?

Replies

• grantevans11
    grantevans11 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It depends on what level you're at. If you're gym offers spinning classes they're a great fat burner, and will do wonders for your fitness.

Strength training is also a good weigh to lose excess fat, particularly compound exercises.
  • momwest4
    momwest4 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Ok thank you so much:) I will check into the spin classes
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    calorie deficit + some form of exercise that you like..

I would suggest looking into strong lifts, new rules of lifting for woman, starting strength, etc...< all are great beginner programs for lifting...but really just find something that you like.
  • momwest4
    Options
    I had open chest surgery in August so I am just now able to start lifting and working out so I starting from the beginning:) excited and eager
  • momwest4
    Options
    Thank you
  • grantevans11
    Options
    momwest4 wrote: »
    I had open chest surgery in August so I am just now able to start lifting and working out so I starting from the beginning:) excited and eager

Maybe spinning will be too much to start with in that case. Your probably best consulting a doctor before you begin any sort of training.
  • momwest4
    Options
    My doctor said I am ready to start working out. I thought I would start with cardio and work into weights with very light weight
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Well this is news we could use at the top of the thread. Have you been fully cleared for all activities or did your doc set some limitations?
  • itsclobberintime
    itsclobberintime Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    My doctor said I am ready to start working out. I thought I would start with cardio and work into weights with very light weight

Starting with some light cardio is a good option. If you do start lifting, you may want to start with a trainer who is aware of your recent surgery and is willing to take you through it slowly. I would also advise clearing the lifting with your doctor before you start in case they have any reservations about that in particular.
  • momwest4
    Options
    I had thymoma a tumor the size of a pancake on my thymus gland. They did have to open my sternum to remove the tumor. My heart is healthy and strong. My doctor said I am good to go just to move into it at a slow pace and work my way up as far as strength training.
  • momwest4
    Options
    Thank you all for your wonderful advice
  • AmandaHugginkiss
    AmandaHugginkiss Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Take it slowly. Start with interval running or the stationary bike for a while, and work with lighter free weights and machines for your lower body. Your incision is still tender 3 months out, and the internal stitches may not have fully dissolved. Have you called your gym to see if there are any trainers who have worked with people who have had chest surgery? From personal experience, a trainer who has experience with people who are weakened by illness or injury could be very beneficial to you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Take it slowly. Start with interval running or the stationary bike for a while, and work with lighter free weights and machines for your lower body. Your incision is still tender 3 months out, and the internal stitches may not have fully dissolved. Have you called your gym to see if there are any trainers who have worked with people who have had chest surgery? From personal experience, a trainer who has experience with people who are weakened by illness or injury could be very beneficial to you.

this...
  • grantevans11
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

this...

Yes, I'd follow this advice taking into consideration your surgery.
  • momwest4
    Options
    I have not asked the Gym that question. That would be wonderful if they do have someone that can help me. I will do that today when I go in. Thank you☺