How much water in a day?

Options
Sunjenk
Sunjenk Posts: 139 Member
I've read a few different things about this, one being to drink half your body weight in ounces of water a day, and another 64 ounces.

Does anyone know which of these, if either are true? I drink around 10-20 ounces a day of any given beverage, rarely water, so today is the day I would like to drink a healthy amount, but I am not sure what that is!!!!

Replies

• JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    shoot for minimum a half gallon but I try to exceed a gallon a day.
  • ktblueyz
    ktblueyz Posts: 72
    Options
    half your body weight in ounces every day. so if you weigh 150, then drink 75 ounces in water a day etc
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    64 oz min per day is what my Nutritionist advised.
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    8 cups (64 oz) is the minimum that you should consume. I have heard an oz for 1/2 of your body weight too. Not sure which way is right, but I usually drink over an ounce for 1/2 my body weight and it works for me. I would say though no less than 64 oz and more is better.
  • cmbneeley
    cmbneeley Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    i shoot for a minimum of 8 cups (8oz each, so 64oz) per day, and try to exceed that by up to half my lb weight in oz (102 oz). but i don't worry if i don't meet 102 oz, as long as I get a min. of 64 oz.
  • secogeni
    secogeni Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    64 oz seems to be the bare minimum, but more than that is great. It's really hard to overdo it with water.
  • kimphillips36
    kimphillips36 Posts: 125
    Options
    half your body weight in ounces every day. so if you weigh 150, then drink 75 ounces in water a day etc

That's what I do...sometimes more!!
  • Satya_Ayurveda
    Satya_Ayurveda Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yep... half your body weight in ounces. I was shocked when I heard that, several years back. It became even harder to drink that much water when I was pregnant! HA! The best way to drink your water is warm or hot as it will be the most gentle on your body. Drinking cold water is not good for our bodies, even when we are working out, sitting outside on a HOT sunny day and trying to quench that thirst. It shocks the body and can add undue stress to the kidneys.
  • idream2bgwen
    idream2bgwen Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I always get a minimum of 64 oz but try to get upwards of 12-15 cups (96-120oz). :happy:
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Hi there. It is recommended that you drink half your body weight in ounces. :bigsmile:
  • richardzaccone
    richardzaccone Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I posted a couple of weeks ago:
    "I am a recent member of myfitnesspal.com and appreciate and use this service every day. I tried drinking 8 glasses of water a day and found it very difficult to achieve. Cynicism comes naturally to me and I started asking people about this practice; no one could validate the advice and or the logic of this concept.
    I googled 8x8 and found an article regarding a Dartmouth Medical school professor: Heinz Valtin, MD.
    His reseach concluded that drinking 8 glasses of 8 ounces water for health of dietary reasons could not be validated. Also, and more importantly he feels that fluids from juices, carbonated drinks including those with alcohol content should be inlcuded in a daily regimen report.
    Should myfitnesspal.com put an asterisk next to the Glasses icon? I think so, ".
    Google Dr. Heinz Valtin, MD. and you wil be able to download the entire article. It is wordy but worthwhile reading.

My personal conclusion is that if you are thirsty drink water.
  • Sunjenk
    Options
    f
  • Sunjenk
    Options
    I posted a couple of weeks ago:
    "I am a recent member of myfitnesspal.com and appreciate and use this service every day. I tried drinking 8 glasses of water a day and found it very difficult to achieve. Cynicism comes naturally to me and I started asking people about this practice; no one could validate the advice and or the logic of this concept.
    I googled 8x8 and found an article regarding a Dartmouth Medical school professor: Heinz Valtin, MD.
    His reseach concluded that drinking 8 glasses of 8 ounces water for health of dietary reasons could not be validated. Also, and more importantly he feels that fluids from juices, carbonated drinks including those with alcohol content should be inlcuded in a daily regimen report.
    Should myfitnesspal.com put an asterisk next to the Glasses icon? I think so, ".
    Google Dr. Heinz Valtin, MD. and you wil be able to download the entire article. It is wordy but worthwhile reading.

My personal conclusion is that if you are thirsty drink water.

I will check that out!! Thank you for such a detailed answer!!!
  • nurseaim
    nurseaim Posts: 146
    Options
    I've read a few different things about this, one being to drink half your body weight in ounces of water a day, and another 64 ounces.

Does anyone know which of these, if either are true? I drink around 10-20 ounces a day of any given beverage, rarely water, so today is the day I would like to drink a healthy amount, but I am not sure what that is!!!!

ISAgenix recommends that you drink half your body weight in ounces. If you don't weigh more than 200lbs than you shouldn't go above 100 oz in a day. Hope this helps you.
  • Sunjenk
    Options

ISAgenix recommends that you drink half your body weight in ounces. If you don't weigh more than 200lbs than you shouldn't go above 100 oz in a day. Hope this helps you.

Yes it helps a lot, thank you!!
  • jataijah
    jataijah Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I try to do at least half my body weight (83 oz) But I always make sure I get in 64oz.