Not sure if I'm doing this right

Options
jissellc
jissellc Posts: 76 Member
edited March 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I know people have many ways going about weight loss, but I would like to make sure my method is viable and healthy. I guess I would consider myself active, not exactly sure though. I workout 5-6 days a week for at least 30 minutes. My exercise includes 3 days of circuit/strength and 3 days of 30 min walking/running and some added fitness blender workouts varying in time. I was running for a couple months and completed the C25K program but it got boring, so I changed it to circuit training which I like much better. I spend all of my work shift on me feet and walking (retail). I'm just not sure how many calories I should eat a day to eat at a deficit. MFP first started me out at 1,200 and for me that's hard. I haven't noticed any weight loss in the past few months, but no weight gain either. I have noticed inches lost and pants are loser. If anyone can explain how or why this happens that would be great. I've read some say the scale doesn't matter and some say it does, so that's confusing. Right now I eat about 1,300 to 1,400 calories a day and I'm not sure if that's too much or too little. I eat fairly healthy, no soda at all, no candy (except for some dark chocolate), and I rarely eat out. I plan on buying a scale to measure my foods, but if someone could help me with the calorie issue that would be fantastic. I'm 5'0", age 22, female, and I weigh 150.
Also some friends have suggested I have my thyroid checked, so I will probably have that done in my coming up yearly check up.

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    jissellc wrote: »
    I know people have many ways going about weight loss, but I would like to make sure my method is viable and healthy. I guess I would consider myself active, not exactly sure though. I workout 5-6 days a week for at least 30 minutes. My exercise includes 3 days of circuit/strength and 3 days of 30 min walking/running and some added fitness blender workouts varying in time. I was running for a couple months and completed the C25K program but it got boring, so I changed it to circuit training which I like much better. I spend all of my work shift on me feet and walking (retail). I'm just not sure how many calories I should eat a day to eat at a deficit. MFP first started me out at 1,200 and for me that's hard. I haven't noticed any weight loss in the past few months, but no weight gain either. I have noticed inches lost and pants are loser. If anyone can explain how or why this happens that would be great. I've read some say the scale doesn't matter and some say it does, so that's confusing. Right now I eat about 1,300 to 1,400 calories a day and I'm not sure if that's too much or too little. I eat fairly healthy, no soda at all, no candy (except for some dark chocolate), and I rarely eat out. I plan on buying a scale to measure my foods, but if someone could help me with the calorie issue that would be fantastic. I'm 5'0", age 22, female, and I weigh 150.
    Also some friends have suggested I have my thyroid checked, so I will probably have that done in my coming up yearly check up.

If you are neither losign nor gaining, you have figured out your maintenance calories. If you want to lose weight, you will have to eat less. Exercise is great for your health, and it looks like you are also seeing good results in the mirror. Eating healthy is again great and definitely a good lifestyle. But still, you can eat over your calories while making healthy choices. So, if the scale is bothering you, you will have to eat less. Right now you are eating exactly as much as you need to maintain your weight. Are you sure your measurements are correct? Because of your height, you do not need a huge amount of calories to maintain a healthy weight, and you are not starting as someone who has hundreds of lbs to use, so just being off by only 200 calories per day could make all the difference between maintaining and losing weight.
  • jissellc
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

If you are neither losign nor gaining, you have figured out your maintenance calories. If you want to lose weight, you will have to eat less. Exercise is great for your health, and it looks like you are also seeing good results in the mirror. Eating healthy is again great and definitely a good lifestyle. But still, you can eat over your calories while making healthy choices. So, if the scale is bothering you, you will have to eat less. Right now you are eating exactly as much as you need to maintain your weight. Are you sure your measurements are correct? Because of your height, you do not need a huge amount of calories to maintain a healthy weight, and you are not starting as someone who has hundreds of lbs to use, so just being off by only 200 calories per day could make all the difference between maintaining and losing weight.

This makes sense. I just want to make sure I am eating enough for a fairly active person instead of doing damage to my metabolism or body. But what you said makes sense. I guess I will just have to go down to 1,200-1,300 calories and see what happens. Thanks :)
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale to weigh out your food? I just looked at your diary and it doesn't look like you are. That might be something to start doing. You can't just go by the generic entries in the database like "one medium banana." What's "medium?" You have to peel and weigh those things because the calories on them can range from 90 to 120 depending on how big they are. And the closer you get to a healthy weight, the more accurate you have to be.
  • emdeesea
    Options
    Sorry, I just saw in your original post that you are going to buy a scale. That's good! That will help, I promise you.

Here's something I have used to figure out how many calories I need to eat. I've used it for the past year and it's worked like a charm.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

There's another one too called IIFYM - I don't have the address on hand at the moment. You can probably just google it. Basically the same idea.
  • jissellc
    Options
    emdeesea wrote: »
    Sorry, I just saw in your original post that you are going to buy a scale. That's good! That will help, I promise you.

Here's something I have used to figure out how many calories I need to eat. I've used it for the past year and it's worked like a charm.

There's another one too called IIFYM - I don't have the address on hand at the moment. You can probably just google it. Basically the same idea.

Thank you for your comment :) I looked at scoobysworkshop. I put my activity level as moderately active (3-5 days) incase I over estimate how much I burn during a workout. It says my BMR is 1480, TDEE is 2294, and daily calories based on step 6 is 1835. Not really sure how to use this information to gauge how many calories a day I should eat. :/
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Yep, definitely get the food scale. You could easily be actually eating, say, 1600, or even more. So instead of trying to go lower using inaccurate measuring, get the scale, see what's up, and then adjust a little at a time downward if needed.

I put your info into a calorie calculator, which seems to think that 1634 at sedentary would be maintenance. Meaning true maintenance would be that + eating back your exercise calories. Eating 1134 + exercise calories would get you 1 lb loss per week. (However, the calculators are a starting point. Your metabolism *could* be slower, which you learn by tightening up logging and then giving it a good trial to see.)

So I'd definitely start with the scale and checking that against how you've been logging, to see what you've truly been eating.

I do think that since you've lost inches and your clothes fit differently, you're having some success!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you for your comment :) I looked at scoobysworkshop. I put my activity level as moderately active (3-5 days) incase I over estimate how much I burn during a workout. It says my BMR is 1480, TDEE is 2294, and daily calories based on step 6 is 1835. Not really sure how to use this information to gauge how many calories a day I should eat. :/

You can do it one of two ways:

Use the 1835 as your goal, and don't log your exercise, just eat 1835 everyday.
    Or plug your stats into MFP and get that calorie goal, log your exercise, and eat back @ half your exercise calories (since MFP tends to exaggerate those).
  • emdeesea
    Options

Scooby figures out very slow weight loss - like 0.5 to 0.8 pounds a week, which is good if you don't have much to lose anyway. Thats' why the calories look high. The idea is to keep your muscle mass, and lose only fat.

I am the same - moderately active and I pretty much eat the calories recommended. Although I admit, lately I have started to shave about 100 calories off a day, but I do that because my hubby and I eat out once a week, and I don't hold back, lol. I eat whatever the heck I want along with dessert, so I figure with that meal, I'm probably consuming about 1,000 calories over for that one day. But for the week, I'm still in a reasonable deficit.
  • jissellc
    Options
    Yep, definitely get the food scale. You could easily be actually eating, say, 1600, or even more. So instead of trying to go lower using inaccurate measuring, get the scale, see what's up, and then adjust a little at a time downward if needed.

I put your info into a calorie calculator, which seems to think that 1634 at sedentary would be maintenance. Meaning true maintenance would be that + eating back your exercise calories. Eating 1134 + exercise calories would get you 1 lb loss per week. (However, the calculators are a starting point. Your metabolism *could* be slower, which you learn by tightening up logging and then giving it a good trial to see.)

So I'd definitely start with the scale and checking that against how you've been logging, to see what you've truly been eating.

I do think that since you've lost inches and your clothes fit differently, you're having some success!

Do you mean eating 1134 calories and logging my exercise and eating those calories back? I am excited to get a scale, just to see how horrible I guesstimate haha. Thank you for your comment.
  • emdeesea
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you're using the Scooby calculator, for example, then you eat the calories recommended because the exercise is built-in to the equation. I plugged in your information and I did get the recommendation of eating 1,835 a day. That's assuming you really are exercising as much as you say you are - you do have to be honest about that, otherwise the calories in/calories out won't work. But if you really are working out 3-5 times a week, then that's what you should eat, otherwise you'll run out of fuel for your workouts.

You do have to update the calculator every so often, like every 5-10 pounds lost (I forget what it recommends), because your calorie intake needs will change the smaller you get.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    If you're neither losing or gaining, you're eating at maintenance.
  • jissellc
    Options
    If you're using the Scooby calculator, for example, then you eat the calories recommended because the exercise is built-in to the equation. I plugged in your information and I did get the recommendation of eating 1,835 a day. That's assuming you really are exercising as much as you say you are - you do have to be honest about that, otherwise the calories in/calories out won't work. But if you really are working out 3-5 times a week, then that's what you should eat, otherwise you'll run out of fuel for your workouts.

You do have to update the calculator every so often, like every 5-10 pounds lost (I forget what it recommends), because your calorie intake needs will change the smaller you get.

Yeah I am being honest because I want honest answers lol. What I do is Kayla Itsines bikini body guide which is circuit training roughly 28 mins (it takes me 30-40 cause I'm a weakling lol) 3 days a week. Then on alternative days I walk for 30 mins and add a fitnessblender video, the times vary. So I exercise roughly 5-6 days a week, for about 30 mins -40 mins a day. I should get a heart rate monitor watch...
    But yeah, and I've been doing that for a month now and before that I was running 3 days a week. So I'm no sure how many calories to eat because some say more and some say less. I'm just trying to make sure I get as much nutrients and energy for all this and lose weight. I thought at first it could be my birth control because before I started taking it I was 113lbs. Now I weigh 150, so over the course of 4 years I've gained that much (which it started when I started birth control). My doctor said birth control wouldn't make me gain that much so I'm looking at my other options. :) I appreciate your advise :)
  • svirds
    svirds Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Couple of things that have worked for me...I aim for 1200 calories per day when I am trying to lose. I've learned that 1400 keeps me maintaining, not losing. That little bit makes a difference. I run, walk, strength train, swim, etc 6 times a week for 45-60 min each day - I usually fuel with a banana pre-workout. Even though I log the exercise, I don't count those calories toward my intake. That way I can lose. Calories in/calories out thinking. Losing 1-2 pounds a week is a healthy lasting loss, but sometimes it might be even a little less. I measure everything - scale, measuring spoons, and measuring cups - it makes a huge difference! Make sure you are drinking a lot of water as well. That is a huge aid in weight loss. and watch your sodium intake if you eat any processed foods, soups, take out at all. If you are drinking a lot of water and eating a lot of sodium, your body will hold on to the water, instead of using it to hydrate and flush your body. Also watch to see that you are staying within your tracking guidelines for sugar, carbs, etc. When these are out of whack, your weight loss can be as well.
  • jissellc
    Options
    svirds wrote: »
    Couple of things that have worked for me...I aim for 1200 calories per day when I am trying to lose. I've learned that 1400 keeps me maintaining, not losing. That little bit makes a difference. I run, walk, strength train, swim, etc 6 times a week for 45-60 min each day - I usually fuel with a banana pre-workout. Even though I log the exercise, I don't count those calories toward my intake. That way I can lose. Calories in/calories out thinking. Losing 1-2 pounds a week is a healthy lasting loss, but sometimes it might be even a little less. I measure everything - scale, measuring spoons, and measuring cups - it makes a huge difference! Make sure you are drinking a lot of water as well. That is a huge aid in weight loss. and watch your sodium intake if you eat any processed foods, soups, take out at all. If you are drinking a lot of water and eating a lot of sodium, your body will hold on to the water, instead of using it to hydrate and flush your body. Also watch to see that you are staying within your tracking guidelines for sugar, carbs, etc. When these are out of whack, your weight loss can be as well.

Ooo I do eat soup quite often :/ yeah my body loves salt. Thank you so much!
  • futuremanda
    futuremanda Posts: 816 Member
    Options

Do you mean eating 1134 calories and logging my exercise and eating those calories back? I am excited to get a scale, just to see how horrible I guesstimate haha. Thank you for your comment.

That's the math for 1 lb per week if you are sedentary, yes. Bumping to lightly active, because you're on your feet for your job, is 1373 for 1 lb per week.

The thing is, it's not recommended for women to eat below 1200. You ARE quite short... but you also said 1200 was really tough (and I'd agree).

The reason I like the math is that it explains to you more what to actually expect.

1873 calories + eating exercise calories = maintenance at lightly active lifestyle
    1634 calories + eating exercise calories = maintenance at sedentary lifestyle

(Your lifestyle is your calories burned outside of basic life functions and exercise. So your daily movements like showering, working, making food, etc.)

Deficits go like this:
    0.5 lb/wk --> need 250 cals off per day
    1.0 lb/wk --> need 500 cals off per day
    1.5 lb/wk --> need 750 cals off per day
    2.0 lb/wk --> need 1000 cals off per day

MFP takes your goal and gives you a calorie target that doesn't count exercise. So if you tell it you are lightly active, and would like to lose 1 lb per week, it'll give you a number similar to (but maybe not exactly, as different calculators differ a bit):

1873 - 500 = 1373

And when you log an exercise, say, 200 calories burned, it asks you to eat those back. Meaning you could then eat 1573 and still lose 1 lb a week. Or if you burn 400, you could eat 1773 and still lose 1 lb / wk. Or you could choose not to eat them back, or eat back some only, and lose slightly quicker. (If you feel well doing this.)

No one recommends eating less than 1200 on a regular basis. And probably you should NET over 1200 regularly as well (meaning after you subtract exercise).

I think you should figure out what's reasonable for you in terms of having energy and such. DO eat enough to fuel your workouts. Look at the math and see what the projected rate of loss is if you stick to it. Make small adjustments as needed... even if what you're adjusting is your expectation. Maybe 0.5 lb / wk is best for you, and you kick butt at your workouts and feel good and that's that. It would still be 24 lbs in a year, plus you'll be getting fit!

But definitely get accurate food logging going. Otherwise you could over or under eat, which is no fun.
  • jissellc
    Options

That's the math for 1 lb per week if you are sedentary, yes. Bumping to lightly active, because you're on your feet for your job, is 1373 for 1 lb per week.

The thing is, it's not recommended for women to eat below 1200. You ARE quite short... but you also said 1200 was really tough (and I'd agree).

The reason I like the math is that it explains to you more what to actually expect.

1873 calories + eating exercise calories = maintenance at lightly active lifestyle
    1634 calories + eating exercise calories = maintenance at sedentary lifestyle

(Your lifestyle is your calories burned outside of basic life functions and exercise. So your daily movements like showering, working, making food, etc.)

Deficits go like this:
    0.5 lb/wk --> need 250 cals off per day
    1.0 lb/wk --> need 500 cals off per day
    1.5 lb/wk --> need 750 cals off per day
    2.0 lb/wk --> need 1000 cals off per day

MFP takes your goal and gives you a calorie target that doesn't count exercise. So if you tell it you are lightly active, and would like to lose 1 lb per week, it'll give you a number similar to (but maybe not exactly, as different calculators differ a bit):

1873 - 500 = 1373

And when you log an exercise, say, 200 calories burned, it asks you to eat those back. Meaning you could then eat 1573 and still lose 1 lb a week. Or if you burn 400, you could eat 1773 and still lose 1 lb / wk. Or you could choose not to eat them back, or eat back some only, and lose slightly quicker. (If you feel well doing this.)

No one recommends eating less than 1200 on a regular basis. And probably you should NET over 1200 regularly as well (meaning after you subtract exercise).

I think you should figure out what's reasonable for you in terms of having energy and such. DO eat enough to fuel your workouts. Look at the math and see what the projected rate of loss is if you stick to it. Make small adjustments as needed... even if what you're adjusting is your expectation. Maybe 0.5 lb / wk is best for you, and you kick butt at your workouts and feel good and that's that. It would still be 24 lbs in a year, plus you'll be getting fit!

But definitely get accurate food logging going. Otherwise you could over or under eat, which is no fun.
    Ah, Thank you! I've tried to read this information in other threads and it never really made sense, but when you put it into math equations like that I can follow it easier. I feel like this is common sense and I'm dumb about it (for a bio major haha). I can do 1,373 calories a day. Sometimes I work at night (2pm-9pm) and I try not to eat anything when I get off at 9pm, but it is a long time between 2 and 9. I've also started eating more of a breakfast. Sometimes I get really busy before class or work and completely miss breakfast, but I've been told to eat a larger breakfast and possibly have lunch as my largest meal since I work some nights. But thank you so much for this post, you are really informative.