Why I need to keep logging . . .

Options

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Kolaches. I used to eat 2-3 of them for breakfast. 326 calories each. It's just a piece of bread, wrapped around a sausage with a bit of cheese. This made me really sad.

Honestly bread makes me sad - bagels, muffins, rolls. I just can't really justify the calories anymore on a day to day basis.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    DP :)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    That is awesome how your mind can detect the kind of food you are eating and you can listen to it telling you to stop.

I log my last weight before bed, first on awaking then first after a trip to the bathroom but before eating/drinking anything. It is amazing how some meals impacts my weight the next day.

Your post hits on how when we develop a new eating lifestyle by reprogramming our brain that weight maintenance becomes more automated like using the turn signal when driving.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Any baked good pretty much - bread, cookies, muffins, danishes, croissants... If only satiety was proportional to the calorie amount of a food, but nope...
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    The biggest shock to me I think was a Starbucks seasonal drink. It was long before I worried about calories so to remember it so vividly I think that's probably the big one. It was a black raspberry green tea frappuchino and while absolutely phenominal I could not believe I'd just consumed 580 calories, pure heaven in a cup but still a shock to the system. The day I looked it up was a Friday, I'd had 3 of those drinks that week. Think about that 3 X 580 = 1740 calories which is equal to half a pound. I gave up Starbucks all together at that point, gave a coworker my Starbucks gift cards and walked away embracing the knowledge. Now I visit Starbucks on occasion and fully enjoy my beverages but they're a "treat" now not a just because I feel like it moment.

Personally I don't care about how many calories are in that slice of carrot cake, if it tastes fantastic I will gobble a few bites, take it home and enjoy a few more bites every day of the week.

The DD coffee cake muffin was a sad moment, they're so good but sadly there's just no nutrition there and they had to become another rare moment in life.

I did discover making my own granola which makes me just as happy as the carrot cake or muffin did especially when added to vanilla greek yogurt.......oh yeah dessert in a cup and it's healthy!
    Had to add all that on a positive note, had a relapse of sadness over the Starbucks drink. LOL
  • ryry2169
    ryry2169 Posts: 90 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    What calories have most surprised you?

My biggest surprise was my favorite and about 2-3 times a week treat... Grande Mocha Frappuccino w/ whipped cream. 410 calories and 61 grams of sugar!! No bueno!!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    I say eat what you want... just go work it off.
  • Jakefoster521
    Jakefoster521 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I was heart broken to find out cookout milkshakes have over 2000 calories. well, most of them anyway. :(
  • JDytmire
    JDytmire Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    When I first started watching calories, I was shocked at how many calories were in a honeybun and fast food meals (even the salads).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Cookies and brownies are so calorie dense!
  • kindrabbit
    kindrabbit Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    My biggest shock was noodles. Koka noodles are just noodles and chicken broth and used to be my go-to quick lunch. When I started calorie counting I logged one and it has almost the same number of calories as a microwave burger!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    I had 3 homemade chocolate chip muffins for breakfast today. I was awesome and worth the 636 calories
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    The ones that surprised me were the ones that I didn't log after I reached goal. I mean I quit logging...period! I mean, I lost 75 pounds in 18 months AND I reached goal. I knew what to do. I had this down!

Ahem...

5 pounds later...

My new motto is: Logging for Life.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    baked goods... which reminds me... i have a cake to make :/ LOL
  • AndyCool22
    AndyCool22 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i had subway's new turkey italiano footlong yesterday. with what i put on it, it ended up 1280 calories. granted i should have known since it has salami and pepperoni on it.
  • pjcfrancis
    pjcfrancis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of fast food; McD's twice in a day was not unusual. Recently I was thinking about what those Calories must have been and saw I was getting over 1000 for a meal.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I had a little, not that sweet with no frosting Pillsbury cinamon roll (2" across!) this morning and it was 160 calories!
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I think I have to go with the breakfast foods.. I use to love a big breakfast. Biscuits with gravy calories was a real eye opener!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    OMG YES! With homefries.

But on the opposite note, bacon is nothing much, meat has half what I thought it did, and ice cream isn't bad (I eat in it in very small bowls).
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I was surprised when I logged the Dairy Queen meal I had over the weekend was 1,030 calories! lol I ate it anyways though and it was goooooood :P