Foods high in carbs with some fat?

Options
Lately I've realized that I'm either on point or under my calorie goal (with lots of carbs and some fat grams to spare) OR over it with just enough carbs and way toooo much protein and sugar.

So I was wondering - does anyone know any good carbs that have some fat (not too much, preferably "good" fats) with little to no sugar & protein?

I'll usually have a Special K Vanilla protein shake which is extremely high in protein and sugar, and/or the Special K protein plus cereal - that along with a slice of meat or even an egg for lunch greatly fills my protein requirements for the day so anytime I go to eat anything else it puts me way over in protein/sugar :/

Thanks

Replies

• seemichellerun
    Options
    Cut up a sweet potato, drizzle some extra virgin olive oil, and sprinkle some salt, pepper, and paprika. Bake at 350 for about 20 min.

Very tasty and good for you!
  • perfectionxforever
    perfectionxforever Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Cut up a sweet potato, drizzle some extra virgin olive oil, and sprinkle some salt, pepper, and paprika. Bake at 350 for about 20 min.

Hmm that sounds good except I don't like sweet potatoes - would a regular potato work? I'm a picky eater haha :P
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    It is ok to be over on protein and fiber, so don't worry about those 2.
  • perfectionxforever
    Options
    It is ok to be over on protein and fiber, so don't worry about those 2.

Really? Then why does MFP give you a set number of protein to take in? And I don't really watch fiber, its my sugar that I'm worried about, I tend to go over that a lot.
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    Just an FYI, Special K is not high in protein, only 10 grams. A high protein shake would have 25grams or more.

It also has 5gr fat, 29gr Carbs and 18gr of Sugar, overall not a healthy item.

If you are looking for a high protein shake try Premier Protein or Pure Protein, just should have better results.

Going over on protein is usually not a problem, as the setting here are considered low. I am in 80 -100 per day.

But going over on sugar is usually not something you want to do.

I don't have carb snacks so not of any help there, but I am sure others will!

Good Luck!
  • perfectionxforever
    Options
    Just an FYI, Special K is not high in protein, only 10 grams. A high protein shake would have 25grams or more.

It also has 5gr fat, 29gr Carbs and 18gr of Sugar, overall not a healthy item.

If you are looking for a high protein shake try Premier Protein or Pure Protein, just should have better results.

Going over on protein is usually not a problem, as the setting here are considered low. I am in 80 -100 per day.

But going over on sugar is usually not something you want to do.

I don't have carb snacks so not of any help there, but I am sure others will!

Good Luck!

Hmm good to know, I'll have to stop buying that shake and replace it. Thanks for the advice! :)
  • seemichellerun
    Options

Hmm that sounds good except I don't like sweet potatoes - would a regular potato work? I'm a picky eater haha :P

No, regular white potatoes are on the "bad carb" side. Really, this is a tasty way to eat sweet potatoes (which are a good carb due to their high fiber and vitamin content). My husband, who has a palate of a 12 year old and only eats pizza and hot dogs, actually really likes sweet potatoes when I cook them this way. Also, the olive oil is a good fat.
  • perfectionxforever
    Options

No, regular white potatoes are on the "bad carb" side. Really, this is a tasty way to eat sweet potatoes (which are a good carb due to their high fiber and vitamin content). My husband, who has a palate of a 12 year old and only eats pizza and hot dogs, actually really likes sweet potatoes when I cook them this way. Also, the olive oil is a good fat.

Alright, maybe I'll have to try it then! :P
  • Sunjenk
    Sunjenk Posts: 139 Member
    Options

I may need to try that recipe as well, since i generally do not like sweet potatoes!!