advice for training for a 5k in two months

Options
shosh413
shosh413 Posts: 135 Member
edited March 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi! i'm training for my second 5k.
I enjoy running on the treadmill but i usually only have the patience, energy, stamina to run for around 20-25 minutes and then i head over to the eliptical where i really just stay on until i burn a significant amount of calories (maybe watch amovie while i'm doing that lol). For running, I started at 5:5 but now run 5:7 and stopping for a few times walking at 3:5 for a couple of minutes every maybe 6 or 7 minutes. A few times i was able to run straight though for 20 minutes

Should i try the couch to 5k program? Or does someone else recommend something else?
Thanks

btw the 5k is May 17

Replies

• bettina274
    bettina274 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm glad to see your posting because that pretty much is what I do too... and feel so lame that I can't even run consistently for more than a few minutes :'(
    Let's do this together
  • gjbarclay_77
    Options
    I hate running so I thought I'd go for a half marathon this year, I am doing 5ks after a few weeks and have done a 10k and a 10.7km and I started really going for a 1.6km on treadmill and slowly building up to 3.2km treadmill that's all I can do as its so mind boring, I find outside running is much more easier and fun, I still run jog walk etc when outside as my times aren't the greatest. I do the local parkrun which for me is Newport and that is a 5k every sat morning 'Google it' its fun and it's you against clock so no pressure and all different people are running.
  • iankirsch
    iankirsch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Yep couch to 5k .9 weeks and fun
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    If you can already run for 20 minutes, then C25K might be too elementary for you. At least, skip to week 5 or something, rather than repeat what you already do.

And get outside! Outdoor running is much different than treadmill running. Don't be afraid to slow down a bit until you get your endurance up.
  • Holly92154
    Holly92154 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Do you monitor your heart rate zone or RPE? You could be pushing too hard. I started out with two miles then added more as I went along. As I've gotten better I have long 8 mile slow days, fast 3 mile short days and days that are in between. When starting a good rule of thumb is that if you can't talk you are going too fast. Speed and interval work can be utilized later. Focus on forming a good base for now.

C25K as mentioned before, may be too elementary for you. However, it could be beneficial if you start the program towards the end.

Also, be sure to warm up and cool down. :)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    If you can already run for 20 minutes, you might want to try a C210k, starting somewhere in the middle.

Running a good 5k requires being able to run a decent 10k, so may as well build up the mileage. :)

Good luck!

:drinker:
  • LIve_Laugh_Love_Strong
    Options
    John Stanton's book Running Start to Finish is a great resource. I used it to start running all the way to completing a marathon. His book provides the reader with eating tips as well as training guides for all different running goals.
  • shosh413
    shosh413 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone ! Ya I think I may be going to fast cause I don't think I can talk as I run... In Gonna start 5k towards the middle
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    I echo the get outside as soon as you can. It is really different then treadmill and your 5k will be outside.
  • midnight419
    midnight419 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k will be way too easy for you. I'd just slow down and extend your runs.
  • DangerJim71
    DangerJim71 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Totally agree with running outside too. Much more interesting and fun.

As far as increasing stamina to be able to keep running I would suggest adding some biking. It's a great way to increase your cardio fitness in a low impact way. Just bike hard enough to get your heart rate up. The great thing about biking is that if you need rest you can slow down or coast a bit before ramping your effort back up. And it's FUN!!!

Otherwise, run at a pace you can maintain for 2-3 miles and very gradually increase distance. Once you have your endurance up you can begin to think about increasing speed