This is for the wine drinkers.

Options
Hello,
I'm new to this calorie counting world and I have a question regarding wine drinking if someone could help me. My question is if you stay within your calorie goal for the day is it ok to have a glass or two of wine or is it cheating? Does the wine lead to weight gain even if it is in your calorie goal? I always feel alittle guilty clocking in that I had a glass of Cabernet but I see that it's with in my goal for that day so could it be that bad...
Thanks so much!

Replies

• rachhdavis
    rachhdavis Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm sure for every person it varies, however, my doctor told me that for anything I drink that isn't water, drink an equal amount of water for it and be sure it stays in my calorie goal as well as fat gram goal for the day. I drank an entire bottle of wine last weekend and followed the advice of my doctor afterwards. I still showed weight loss on my weigh in day. Like I said, every person is different, that was just my experience with it.
  • sdado1013
    sdado1013 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    I save room in my calories for the day sometimes so that I can have a glass or two and not go over. its no big deal.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Some people will tell you that it will hinder weight loss but I don't believe it. I have lost 14+ lbs sine January 25th...and have consumed at least 3 bottles of wine and maybe even a beer or two during that time period. It's all about accounting for your calories I think.

I will be drinking tonight. I will let you know how it goes, but I may overeat tonight too...awards banquet. LOL
  • anchoredgypsy
    anchoredgypsy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wine...mmmmm....I zeroed in on that! I love my sweet red wines. I just make sure I log it and it doesn't take me over my allotted calories for that day. I'm still losing weight! I've been a calorie counter for years, but I am new to MFP. I just had a beautiful son in January and decided to take advantage of my smart phone rather than carry around a small journal. I'm not breastfeeding and wine was the top of my list when he was born. How I missed it! Oh, and welcome to your new life long habit of calorie counting! It takes 30 days to form a habit.....you've got this!
  • maddysmom463
    Options
    So good to know because I enjoy my wine! Thanks for the info
  • sslehane
    sslehane Posts: 1
    Options
    As with anything moderation is key, definitely count those calories in the wine, just be aware they are empty calories so with severe calorie restriction can lead to other issues like vitamin/mineral deficiency which can have a negative impact on workouts. Alcohol is mostly sugar, so you may want to research what it does to insulin levels and metabolic rates. From what I have seen, dry reds are least harmful if it's 1-2 glasses a couple times/week. For the record, I LOVE wine, but hubby and I decided to give up alcohol for Lent(Sundays are "feast" days on the Holy Calendar, so have become "cheat" days where we will go to dinner and share a bottle), so I am substituting my evening wine ritual with a lot of herbal tea… And I'm finding that I actually don't miss my wine as much as I thought it would!
  • motivatedmami135
    Options
    ONE glass of wine isn't going to hurt as long as you stay in or under your calorie goal.
  • marymeroney88
    marymeroney88 Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Wow, thanks guys and gals! This helps out a lot. I'm so glad I'm not alone and there are other people out there living a healthy life style while still enjoying a bottle of wine every now and then. =-)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Yes, its okay. Additionally, some people exercise more to earn additional calories.
  • Kelll12123
    Kelll12123 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 45 pounds and sometimes I drink the whole bottle #yolo
  • FatOldManMN
    FatOldManMN Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Drink what you want; exercise more.
  • neurex
    neurex Posts: 58 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    If you log it, it isn't cheating. I do use one of those little ~60ml liquid measuring cups.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    as log as you log it, sure you can have it LOL
  • Holygoddess
    Holygoddess Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Research the beverage that compliments your diet. So for me I'm doing low carb and certain vodkas are low, certain champagnes have 1.5 carbs, certain Pinot Grigio have 3.4 if my memory is correct. One glass won't stall me out but I let my craving get the best of me after that. Good luck.